The MoFo Top 100 of the Nineties Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Fight Club is overflowing with ideas. Many, maybe most, of them are stupid. The philosophy is retarded and obnoxious. But take away all of the nonsense and there's still a whole lot of interesting stuff here. I was talking about this movie for weeks after seeing it, and am still reminded of it often. So it really stuck with me, and I value that, no matter how annoying it is. It's also very well executed- for example, the twist is much more pivotal and much better done than that in the Sixth Sense. Not too far away from my list.

The Dude quoted HW Bush. It is political!

This aggression will not stand man!
Yeh it's a warning about US activity in other countries. And this intention of being a political commentary is clearly laid out by when we see the Bush broadcast at the beginning of the film, US, "This is what happens when you **** a stranger in this ass".

I won't respect it because you didn't even explain the difference.
You stated like a fact that Gunslinger was wrong and absurd and that only your interpretation is 'what the movie is about', while Daniel was jokingly calling The Big Lebowski "the greatest political commentary of all time".

Oh well, I do agree with you that I personally don't see Fight Club as something homosexual either.

Yeh it's a warning about US activity in other countries. And this intention of being a political commentary is clearly laid out by when we see the Bush broadcast at the beginning of the film, US, "This is what happens when you **** a stranger in this ass".
Dude I would pay serious money to see a politician say on live TV "This is what happens when you f**k a stranger in this ass!"

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
They've done that before, in so many words, but give a campaign contribution to whoever you like.

You stated like a fact that Gunslinger was wrong and absurd and that only your interpretation is 'what the movie is about', while Daniel was jokingly calling The Big Lebowski "the greatest political commentary of all time".

Oh well, I do agree with you that I personally don't see Fight Club as something homosexual either.
I see. I understand why it might sound like that, but I used the words to me in the first sentence of my post, and then I also used I don't think in the next sentence. Which should suggest that I was expressing my opinion only.

The reaction afterwards was exaggerated and hilarious, but it's pointless to discuss it further, really. Let's just forget about it.

They've done that before, in so many words, but give a campaign contribution to whoever you like.
I want it word for word. And I do not like political contributions on account as I hate politicians.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Fight Club is overflowing with ideas. Many, maybe most, of them are stupid. The philosophy is retarded and obnoxious.
What philosophy? I didn't really see Fight Club as having a philosophy of its own as much as it was satirising other philosophies - consumerism, support groups, the idea of masculinity as being inherently about violence*, Tyler Durden's brand of anarchism and the stupidity of giving yourself over to anarchism just because you are dissatisfied with what you've got.

Everyone in this movie is deluded to an extent, not just the main character(s). Perhaps that's the movie's philosophy, if there is one at all.

(*This one's problematic, I suppose, because while it's certainly poking fun at the men who join fight club, the movie itself does glamourise violence to an extent.)

I can see that some people might have a problem with the violence in the film. But not people who voted for Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction, where it's just as present.

Since we're so close to the end I thought I'd share some stuff with you guys. First, here's 101-110:

110. Wild at Heart
109. The Insider
108. Once Upon a Time in China
107. Safe
106. Kikujiro
105. The Crying Game
104. Carlito's Way
103. Tremors
102. Jacob's Ladder
101. Die Hard with a Vengeance
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

That's not good enough. None of those were my films. Show me 101-200.

That's not good enough. None of those were my films. Show me 101-200.
You'll see all of them when I post the excel file. Then you'll finally be able to see how poorly "your" films did.

Well, get on with it. It's getting late. Post the final two. It's nighttime for our European MoFos.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Since we're so close to the end I thought I'd share some stuff with you guys. First, here's 101-110:

110. Wild at Heart
109. The Insider
108. Once Upon a Time in China
107. Safe
106. Kikujiro
105. The Crying Game
104. Carlito's Way
103. Tremors
102. Jacob's Ladder
101. Die Hard with a Vengeance
Last of the Mohicans didn't even make it. Who is voting for **** like Tremors as part of their best 25 films of the 90's?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wow. Now I'm realy wondering where's Satantango.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.