Most overrated movie of the year? (2017)

Tools    

You're kinda making me want to watch it now

From 1 -10, how big of a trainwreck was it?
Well, you're not a fan of the Star Wars films. So don't watch it, ya cuck.

Just kidding. It's a 1, or probably a 2. A very solid entry into the series, one that's more in-depth and polarizing than your usual fair. There were a few things that bothered me, but the aspects of the film that were good; were REALLY good.

It's probably the most challenging SW film since Empire. But you dislike that one too... so, I dunno. Go see Phantom Thread (when It comes out) or CMBYN, instead of wasting your money.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

This might just do nobody any good.
I want everyone complaining about Star Wars to watch Phantom Thread or Lady Bird or Call Me by Your Name or any other actual film and they should be forced to write as much about them as they have The Last Jedi.

I want everyone complaining about Star Wars to watch Phantom Thread or Lady Bird or Call Me by Your Name or any other actual film and they should be forced to write as much about them as they have The Last Jedi.
I want this so bad. But It's never happening. (Unfortunately.)

They probably won't even take the time to watch those films. I suppose It's better to just ENDLESSLY complain about a film in a franchise, until the next film in that same franchise comes out. Then complain about that film, then wait until the NEXT film to come out; then complain about that one.

#RIPStarWarsDead4EverNoReturnF*ckDisneyAndJJAbrams4RuiningSpaceballs

I'd just like it if the three active Star Wars threads and this which is bound to become a Star Wars thread were combined into one. No one is bringing anything new to any of them.

I'd just like it if the three active Star Wars threads and this which is bound to become a Star Wars thread were combined into one. No one is bringing anything new to any of them.
Exactly.

Before TLJ came out and every whiner started plaguing the net (yet again) with their constant shouting; I made a neat "Rate and Rank" thread based on the SW films, and that grew some pretty good traction. But now, I kinda feel ashamed for creating that--considering the growing number of threads based on opinions of the recent film. Same thing goes for my wacky "theory" thread I made several weeks before TLJ was released. Didn't know how out of hand this would become.

I completely understand that fans of the series are very passionate about it. I can relate 100%. But this is just getting ridiculous.

so instead of going to see this garbage mainstream film you should go see another garbage mainstream film?

Welcome to the human race...
Don't you mean 1000
Obviously not. Even if I were to re-order 2017 movies as either overrated or trainwrecks, Last Jedi wouldn't even crack my top 10 in either instance.

Big year for this, with a lot of the most rapturously received movies and big awards contenders being fine to even good but way more minor and unexceptional than you'd think from the crazy high levels of acclaim. I'll break it into two categories, those that are actually bad and those that are good or fine but never approach the greatness they've been ascribed.

Actually bad or terrible movies most people and/or critics mistook for good ones:

It (the second worst movie of the whole year)
Patti Cake$
The Little Hours
Super Dark Times
Wonder Woman
Split
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Baby Driver
Oklahoma City
Wind River
Mudbound
mother! (mostly just the critics here)
Raw
A Quiet Passion

Merely good or decent movies most people/critics/award bodies mistook for great ones and wildly overpraised:

Lady Bird
Call Me By Your Name
Dunkirk
The Big Sick
Blade Runner 2049 (these top 5 especially)
I Called Him Morgan
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Lady Macbeth
Personal Shopper
War for the Planet of the Apes
Brawl in Cell Block 99
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

I suppose It's better to just ENDLESSLY complain about a film in a franchise, until the next film in that same franchise comes out. Then complain about that film, then wait until the NEXT film to come out; then complain about that one.
Kind of proud of myself...The things that have been done to Batman over the years, and I've only ever gotten mad twice so far, and that was at comics. But then again, he's my hero, not my god.

yeah i guess wonderwoman is a contender, starts off well and decent, succumbs to trash by the end

Welcome to the human race...
Trying to figure out what would qualify as the single most overrated movie of the year is too hard anyway because I'm trying to split the difference between what I thought of a film and what everyone else (critics and audience alike) thought of it and it turns out that most of them do fall into the "it's good but not great" category so whatever. Maybe Three Billboards would be my pick, but even then that's kind of polarising.