The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Akira is a well-made yet perfectible anime. The soundtrack is really strong, though.

Toy Story is a film I enjoyed as a little kid but haven't seen since.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I need to give Akira another chance, I was bored by it the first time.

Toy Story, I consider one of the most important films in history. It changed the way animated movies are done. The animation might be dated, but the fact that they are plastic toys helps keep it looking passable these days.

The voice acting is perfect, the humour is funny and the story is touching. There's a reason they are still making these movies today and they are still good.

I don't think it made my list (of all the lists to lose. I lose mine) but it would crack the top 50 no doubt.

I'd also be lying if I said I didn't try to catch my toys alive in the act when i was younger.

Welcome to the human race...
Akira was my #3. Between that and the glowing five-star review I wrote a few years back, I don't think I need to say much more about how much I love this awesome, crazy slice of anime. Toy Story, on the other hand, is one of the few genuinely great Pixar films but I never thought about voting for it or any other ones.

I feel like it would be so awkward to get notifications of someone thumbing down your comment, especially if they don't reply to you.

I was only joking. I don't really require a thumbs down. And if there was one, I would likely never use it

Crap, in the days after submitting my list and before Yoda started this countdown. Somehow "Toy Story" fell off my list. Swore I had it around 20. Major faux pas on my part. My son was seven when the film came out and he (as well as I) were hooked. Still the only movie I paid to see twice. My #1 animation film!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

12/15 seen
1/8 on clues
1/25 off list

#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

On my first watch of Akira way back when (think I was about 10 at the time), one thing that struck me with Akira was the visuals.
It's a very striking movie, reminded me a little of Blade Runner as well... then at the end, it goes completely against its set-up and turns into what's become a kind of norm in the Japanimation genre of tentacles and inflating monsters etc.

Also, Akira has to be watched in the original language... first time I watched it when I was around 10 or so, it was dubbed into English.
Upon watching the original Japanese at around 20 years old, I instantly fell in love with the movie.
Something gets lost in translation (ha!) if you watch it dubbed.

Toy Story... decent movie, not my kind of movie, but can't deny its influence.

Haven't seen Akira. I didn't vote for any animated movies, but if I had it would have been either Toy Story or Aladdin. Toy Story doesn't feel original anymore, but it did back then. Very fun film that I have seen quite a bit.

Crap, in the days after submitting my list and before Yoda started this countdown. Somehow "Toy Story" fell off my list. Swore I had it around 20. Major faux pas on my part.
Well, not to twist the knife, but the scores in this part of the list are so densely packed it would've jumped up a number of slots with even one more mid-list entry. In fact, the next five entries are all tied in points, easily the biggest pile-up anywhere in the countdown.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Haven't seen Akira. I didn't vote for any animated movies, but if I had it would have been either Toy Story or Aladdin. Toy Story doesn't feel original anymore, but it did back then. Very fun film that I have seen quite a bit.
No animation? Boo.

I don't know how many I had offhand, at least 2.

I think the arthouse films are definitely in trouble here now.

Akira is another I've not seen, again no particular reason just haven't got round to it yet.

I like Toy Story, the humour and mix of characters just resonate so well even if I never had most of the toys personally.

Seen: 10/14 (Own: 3/14)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
86. Young Frankenstein (1974)
85. Fight Club (1999)

@seanc @Chypmunk you guys defo need to see Akira.
Thinking about it now, I watched it in the lead up to the countdown before entering it on my list... you can see soooooo many things in it that have influenced modern cinema.
I'm not an animation fan myself tbh, but Akira's surprisingly good.

This is also true. It does drag in the middle a little, but it's all set-up for the payoff in the 3rd act.
It's not a chore to get through exactly, but it can seem to drag for about 10 minutes or so in act 2.

@seanc @Chypmunk you guys defo need to see Akira.
Thinking about it now, I watched it in the lead up to the countdown before entering it on my list... you can see soooooo many things in it that have influenced modern cinema.
I'm not an animation fan myself tbh, but Akira's surprisingly good.
One day, one day.

Toy Story was No.1 on my list. The first film I can remember watching as a youngster, and if it weren't for that and its sequel who knows if I'd even be into film today. Alot of the films on my list are there because I saw them when I was older and realised the true mastery of them, Toy Story is here purely because I remember the joy it brought me as a kid, which makes me feel that joy again every time I re-watch it. The voice-acting is on point, the soundtrack is spectacular (I almost get teary eyed at the track that plays near the end when Woody and Buzz are 'flying'), and of course the animation of revolutionary. I'm planning to re-watch it and Toy Story 2 again this season, I feel it's an apt time to see them again.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Toy Story, I consider one of the most important films in history. It changed the way animated movies are done. The animation might be dated, but the fact that they are plastic toys helps keep it looking passable these days.

The voice acting is perfect, the humour is funny and the story is touching. There's a reason they are still making these movies today and they are still good.

I don't think it made my list (of all the lists to lose. I lose mine) but it would crack the top 50 no doubt.

I'd also be lying if I said I didn't try to catch my toys alive in the act when i was younger.
You lost your own list? Maybe this is rigged....

Just kidding

Master of My Domain
Nostalgia aside, the original Toy Story is a fantastic bit of escapism. The plot is airtight, moves at breakneck speed, yet you never lose sense of what the characters are like and how they feel. I dislike the Hollywood process of throwing a bunch of writers in a room and have them bang out a generic movie, but Pixar shows that if those individuals are talented, it works!

I'm also amazed by how the filmmakers maximized a limited number of locations –– except for the one venture to the arcade, the film mostly takes places around Andy's neighborhood. Probably due to budgetary restrictions, and in this case it led to creativity. There's incredible attention to detail everywhere. This movie is definitely worth a re-visit.

Not a big fan of the first Toy Story to be honest. I've always much preferred the second film which I find to be much stronger in terms of characters and plot. I finally got around to watch Akira last year I think it was and I didn't enjoy it, which quite surprised me.

Previous to that I thought Harold and Maude was decent when I saw it but can hardly remember anything. E.T. I liked when I was younger but I've seen bits and bobs since then and it's not really something I've enjoyed.

Seen 14/14 so far.

I'm more like appreciated Akira in technical merit, the visual feast, not really into the story back then.

Toy story is fun to watch as a kid I guess, and that's it. Once you reach andy age in toy story 3 (?) there nothing except nostalgia.