Favorite Director?

Tools    

Hi,teddybear drinking.I'm Japansese university student in class right now. Mt. Fuji looks so good.
My favorite doirector is David fincher and Hayao Miyazaki.
Because I like the making of screen which held the color of Fincher movie
and original story of Hayao Movie.
Does anybody know any Japanese directors?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yes, I know a plenty of them.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
My favorite is Hayao Miyazaki. I can't say I like all his movies (I'm not a huge fan of Spirited Away) but he's easily one of the most consistently good directors I've seen. I wouldn't even call Spirited Away a bad movie, just not my cup of tea. I also love how he incorporate messages of peace and environmentalism into his movies without being preachy or demonizing either side of the conflict.

Following up on the anime tip I'd have'ta say that Shinichiro Watanabe, director of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, is one of my fav animation directors period. The way he uses music as the major narrative pivot in his productions is so ingenious. Furthermore, he has the strongest handle on Western culture that I've seen from an anime director.

My favorite is Hayao Miyazaki. I can't say I like all his movies (I'm not a huge fan of Spirited Away) but he's easily one of the most consistently good directors I've seen. I wouldn't even call Spirited Away a bad movie, just not my cup of tea. I also love how he incorporate messages of peace and environmentalism into his movies without being preachy or demonizing either side of the conflict.
Thank you for your balanced opinion. Youre right he sends messages without preaching. I like Prices Mononoke,too. Prices Mononoke is so interesting.This movie which an individual character comes out to is very intersting.
By the way, Though Hayao Miyazaki said he will retire, do you think so?
I think he might and its a shame. Because Recent Japanese director can't play an active part on a global scale. So I am afraid that Japanese movie seem to be forgotten.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
By the way, Though Hayao Miyazaki said he will retire, do you think so?
I think he might and its a shame. Because Recent Japanese director can't play an active part on a global scale. So I am afraid that Japanese movie seem to be forgotten.
I think Miyzaki is serious about retiring this time. IIRC he retired for a while after the release of Mononoke but he's pretty insistent that he's stepping down for good this time. I hope he keeps making movies but at 72 I can understand him wanting to take it easy.

Even if Miyazaki is retiring permanently I don't think Ghibli's movies will be forgotten outside of Japan. John Lasseter, the head of Pixar is a pretty big fan of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli so I don't Ghibli's movies will be forgotten outside of Japan. Less popular, maybe, but not completely forgotten.

[quote=GodsOtherMonkey;472178]No such list can ever be complete or accurate but here are some of my favorites.

The order in which they appear is more or less my preference to them as Directors.

I have listed movies for each in the order of what I feel is their best work. Top of the list being the best.

David Lean
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Oliver Twist (1948)
Doctor Zhivago (1965)

Francis Ford Coppola
Rumble Fish (1983
The Outsiders (1983)
The Godfather: Part II (1974)
The Godfather (1972) ]

I have followed Sexy's advice and narrowed the quote down

Did you intentionaly leave out Ryan's Dughter (for David Lean ) and Apocalypse Now ( for Francis Ford Coppola ) and if so why?

Anyway, what is the criteria for this thread? Body of work, imagery, flow of story telling, action, vision, originality, style???
Directing depends so much on the actors, cinematographer and editor for a complete piece of work to go along with the director's vision.
Some directors are hands on and some give their actors artistic freedom to improvise.
To be continued......

Ok, there are just too many to consider so what first jumps to mind:

Visualy stunning : David Lean, Terrence Mallick

Steadfast excellent body of work: Akira Kurosawa, Martin Scorcese, Clint Eastwood

Action: Quentin Tarantino, Luc Besson, Antoine Fuqua

Originality: Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu, Guillermo Del Torro, Satiyat Ray, Pedro Almadovar, Lina Vertmuller

I think Miyzaki is serious about retiring this time. IIRC he retired for a while after the release of Mononoke but he's pretty insistent that he's stepping down for good this time. I hope he keeps making movies but at 72 I can understand him wanting to take it easy.

Even if Miyazaki is retiring permanently I don't think Ghibli's movies will be forgotten outside of Japan. John Lasseter, the head of Pixar is a pretty big fan of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli so I don't Ghibli's movies will be forgotten outside of Japan. Less popular, maybe, but not completely forgotten.

Thank you for your affirmative opinion. I'm glad of your opinion. I want to think so,too. By the way, Suzuki Toshio, Ghibli Producer said Miyazaki has drawn cartoons for a few magazines. Are they any other directors who do outside work?

as a scientific movie freak. love the movies of Stephen Spielberg.
all of his movies especially Back to the future.... masterpiece...

Mark walberg is my favorite actor and director.