The Thing (2011)

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...

When I find out that one of my favourite movies is getting a sequel, prequel, remake or some other such continuation of the saga, I don’t really feel strongly about it one way or the other and don’t really keep up with all the news and details like so many others seem to do. John Carpenter is one of my favourite directors and The Thing is arguably his best movie, yet news of a prequel didn’t really excite me or fill me with dread. Granted, some of the details I did hear seemed a little troubling – such as the inclusion of CGI or female characters, both of which the original managed to avoid – yet I still remained cautiously optimistic. So opening day came around and I gladly went in to see what was what.

The Thing (if it’s a prequel, why does it have the same name?) takes place shortly before the events of the original, based around the team of Norwegian scientists who first discovered the titular creature buried in Antarctica. A few Americans are flown in to do research on the remains, and before long the Thing comes alive and it all becomes very familiar. Yeah, as far as remakes/prequels of monumental classics go, The Thing is one of the ones that tries to stick as closely to what made the original great in the first place. It got to the point where I was actively trying to pick out which of the new characters were going to behave like the ones in the original. Certain scenes even seem like eerily similar replicas, plus I’m already picking out what happens based on what little evidence was featured in the original. Such fidelity wasn’t necessarily a curse, though – for all the familiarity, the film still maintains just enough of a difference to make it interesting. The entire premise of The Thing still works, even if it’s all very familiar.

Then there’s the effects work – of course, the CGI isn’t quite up to scratch, but it allows for some interesting mutations not really possible with animatronics. Much like the original, the acting is fairly competent, even though I noted that the bulk of the characters are either similar to ones from the original or are otherwise recognisable archetypes. As a prequel that stays the course rather than attempt anything particularly radical, The Thing is reasonably good. I may have a fairly generous opinion of it because I love the original, but I know what I expect when I go into a movie like this. Despite some of the glaring differences (or predictable similarities), it’s still a fairly competent genre exercise – quite fittingly for a movie based on The Thing, it’s a disturbingly good imitation.

That's good to hear, Iro. I really like The Thing, so I'm fine with another 'good one' rather than a watered down sequel.

As for why it's got the same name, even though it's a prequel, you already know the answer to that.

Good review, Iro.

Sounds like the film was at least as good as you'd hoped it would be. I will check it out. I really like the original too but am a little apperhensive about this one. Still, it sounds like it's worth a watch.

Good stuff, Iro. I will probably watch this on DVD. I too am cautiously optimistic thanks to your review. It's good that it's still slightly unpredictable in spite of it sticking closely to the original.

Here's the opening of MoFo Alum OG-'s review of The Thing from his fine, finey fine fine horror blog:

No one involved with THE THING 2011 understands what the words copy or replicate mean. There’s a moment where Mary Elizabeth Winstead, supposedly a pre-eminent paleontologist/grad student, and Eric Christian Olsen are staring down a microscope at a part-human, part-alien blood sample. In it they see two objects; a normal, circular blood platelet and what looks like a poorly rendered, undulating ball of spikes. The spike ball cell then approaches one of the platelets, attacks it, wraps itself around it and then changes its spikey shape to look like what it just ate. Meanwhile, these two academics stare at it in disbelief while stammering about how they just watched an alien cell copy another cell. But that’s not what we the audience just saw happen. There was no copy made. The original was consumed entirely and then replaced with an imitation.
Read the whole thing, and stuff.

Here's the opening of MoFo Alum OG-'s review of The Thing from his fine, finey fine fine horror blog:
Great review. Disappointing though.

Nice, I had high expectations for this but can see it's probably going to just be competent and underwhelming. Shame as it was a similar situation with Fright Night. Got a wait till Dec 2 so imagine will catch it online which don't feel iota of guilt for as my favour for it stemmed from their statement against CGI, which seems untrue now.

Wondering how many reviews are going to make the inevitable 'imitation' pun? (For the record, you're the first Iro).

Yeah, no expectations are the way to go, which goes some way towards explaining my relatively favourable rating. Besides, if Crystal Skull taught us anything it's that any promises not to rely too much on CGI are in all probability falsehoods. It's a pity, as the Things created in this film look like they would've been positively mind-blowing if made with practical effects, but as it stands, the CGI just makes you think "oh, that's kinda cool".

Are there any prosthetic or animatronic effects in the movie at all? Have they blended traditional make ups with CGI, or is it all just computer stuff?

Hard to tell in some parts, but I'd definitely say the bulk of the film was CGI. The Wikipedia article for the film seems to back this up.

I love the original Thing, but after reading your review I might just wait for the DVD rental to watch this.

Caught this the other night. Could have been ok, they had some nice ideas like the mutations though sadly let down by obvious CGI. I was quite enjoying visiting familiar locations and watching it unravel but it was weird how they followed almost exactly the same character roles, absolutely no need for that. May as well not make any bones, it was a remake as it took far too much from Carpenters. They didn't really allow any tension in the group dynamic to flourish, the blood test scene, the guys who came in from the cold, woman in charge etc; none of the possible tension developed. Didn't need to see the ship at the end, I can't fathom how they failed at dovetailing directly into Carpenter's classic though?! (did they ever show the source of the frozen suicider either?)

edit: apparently I missed the end, where it does dovetail

Ok. Just caught The Thing prequel this morning and thought it was ok. Lots of parallels with the original film, but I think the 'straight re-make' accusations are a little unfair, as this outing does play with some new ideas. I've said before that whilst watching Carpenter's version it becomes clear history is repeating itself, especially once we learn more about the Norwegian camp. I liked the new twist on the blood test sequence, and thought the acting was competent; it's just a shame debut director Matthijs van Heijninggen Jr. isn't anywhere near as accomplished as Carpenter in the suspense department. Most of the film's tension comes off the back of knowing the original film, and to a certain extent; what's coming next. Unfortunately when the set pieces come the CGI is disappointingly substandard when compared with Rob Bottin's incredible creations. Many of the transformations happen much too quickly whereas Carpenter and co. were to happy to linger on the macabre wonder of the alien. All in all though this is a relatively faithful prequel, and slightly above average for the genre. I give it

I can't fathom how they failed at dovetailing directly into Carpenter's classic though?!
Did you get up and leave the theatre as soon as the credits rolled Pyro? Or did you just stream a dodgy pirate copy with no end credits?

(did they ever show the source of the frozen suicider either?)
Once again this is covered during the end credits. I actually thought the dovetailing into Carpenter's film was the best thing about the prequel.

The Drunk and Happy
Ack, this movie was awful. I need at least 5 beers to get through it.
Verdict: With the book and two previous films all receiving high accolades, why not keep running with it? A prequel fits in organically, yet I feel it wasn’t necessary. But, if you want to see some people exploding, by all means, check it out.