Drive - The best movie of the year?

Tools    

I have got to check this out. Lots of Oscar buzz.

2011 has been a surprisingly good year for film - the best since 1999, I'd say. Drive is either my second or third favorite. Unknown was pretty enjoyable; I can't decide which is better. However, my favorite of the year is Super 8. I couldn't care less for the alien part, but I'm a huge fan of the coming of age subgenre.

I have yet to watch Drive. But out of the films that I have watched this year, Warrior was the absolute best. If you haven't watched it, do so asap.

Download!

It deserves to be seen on the big cinema screen.
Agree. Or at least to be bought on blu-ray.

Agree. Or at least to be bought on blu-ray.
You buy two copies and that way you'll cover the HDRip I'm gonna download when it comes out.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I loved this movie, but like pyro tramp said, i dont know about the whole year yet.

but i enjoyed it throughly and i dont know about you guys, but i think Ryan Goslings character may have had aspergers.

Drive is really a great release movie of the month. I love it so much. Story and stuffs of Drive movie was complete enjoyable. I would like to rate this movie 8.5/10.

2011 has been a surprisingly good year for film - the best since 1999, I'd say.
Dude, that is way out there. Out of 30-35 films I've watched released in 2011, I've seen maybe 5 that are really worth mentioning and 3 of those I'd list as very good - excellent.

If anything, this is one of the worst years in recent history and I sincerely hope it picks up a little steam in these last 3 months.

Dude, that is way out there. Out of 30-35 films I've watched released in 2011, I've seen maybe 5 that are really worth mentioning and 3 of those I'd list as very good - excellent.

If anything, this is one of the worst years in recent history and I sincerely hope it picks up a little steam in these last 3 months.
I don't watch that many recent releases. I was quite surprised when, looking through my IMDb ratings, I learned that I'd seen 12 films from 2011. Transformers, Drive Angry, Scream 4, and especially Hobo with a Shotgun I didn't care for.
The ones I liked: Drive, Cowboys & Aliens, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Super 8, Source Code, Limitless, Unknown, and The Rite.
2010 had maybe 12 good films of the ~50 I've seen, but the period from 2000-2009 I think is perhaps the worst in film's history. Each year has a few good films (maybe 4 for 2009; I've seen about 100), but most are worthless, whereas even bad movies from the '70s and '80s are still enjoyable to watch.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Ehh, not sure about "best movie of the year."

Definitely one of the better movies of the year.

7.5/10 - enjoyed it very much, but I wasn't blown away.

the period from 2000-2009 I think is perhaps the worst in film's history. Each year has a few good films (maybe 4 for 2009; I've seen about 100), but most are worthless, whereas even bad movies from the '70s and '80s are still enjoyable to watch.
2007 was a monumental year. If it came down to a poll between that and any other year in cinema, I wouldn't say it would always come out on top, but it sure boasts enough quality to make it very close.

1. The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (Dominik)
2. No Country For Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen)
3. There Will Be Blood (P.T. Anderson)
4. Zodiac (Fincher)
5. The Diving Bell And The Butterfly (Schnabel)
6. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (Mungiu)
7. The Visitor (McCarthy)
8. The Orphanage (Bayona)
9. Ratatouille (Bird)
10. Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (Lumet)
11. Into The Wild (Penn)
12. Charlie Wilson's War (Nichols)
13. Eastern Promises (Cronenberg)
14. Atonement (J. Wright)
15. Persepolis (Parronaud & Satrapi)
16. Hot Fuzz (E. Wright)
17. Encounters at the End of the World (Herzog)
18. Lars and the Real Girl (Gillespie)
19. Rescue Dawn (Herzog)
20. Mongol (Bodrov)
21. The Edge of Heaven (Akin)
22. 3:10 To Yuma (Mangold)
23. Hairspray (Shankman)
24. I'm Not There (Haynes)
25. The Descent (Marshall)

If you think that there's only a "few" good films on here, then I can't help you. I concur mostly that the noughties were fairly weak, but 2007 was massive.

I loved this movie, but like pyro tramp said, i dont know about the whole year yet.

but i enjoyed it throughly and i dont know about you guys, but i think Ryan Goslings character may have had aspergers.
That's an interesting interpretation of the character, I can see where you're coming from. He didn't quite seem to know how to interact to people which could be that or he's just a hard nosed bad ass.

I just got out of the theater...all I can say is meh. I'd love to elaborate why I don't think it is that great but I do not want to spoil it for the ones looking forward to seeing it. I agree with Brodinski, this has been a slow year for the movies. It is definitely one of the better movies of this year but being one of the better movies of this year isn't saying much.

I have yet to watch Drive. But out of the films that I have watched this year, Warrior was the absolute best. If you haven't watched it, do so asap.
Same here. Ive yet to see Drive but for me Warrior has been the best film this year by a mile. Maybe the best film ive seen in a couple of years.