Ethnic food snobbery

Tools    

In the UK we have long had a love affair with curry, even inventing our own over the years.. there has been absolutely no problem with this... until now.. I keep reading, hearing, noticing this year, ethnic food snobbery everywhere I go... oh that's not Indian food!!!... cultural appropriation!!!... that's not a goan curry lol!!! that's not masala!!!... SHUT THE **** UP! seriously shut... the ****... up! Are you seriously offended a group of people on a small Island liked your cuisine and so adapted it... honestly curry is as much a staple as roast beef and veg, are you seriously saying my mother was culturally appropriating when she made us English version curries with potatoes! ... sure enough if you tried it, you would turn your nose up as well. I'm not denying I wouldn't love to try traditional street food in native countries but so what... I like our version too.. I think we can get pretty close here...and pretty damn delicious, I must apologise I want to eat more than ham and boiled potatoes!

I recently found a nice Indian café, an old lady in the back in traditional Indian garb making the food, I was talking to her son the owner, and mentioned I liked the other Indian round the corner, his lip turned up in a snarl, oh they're Bangladeshi, that's not authentic, they are ruining it for everyone.. I felt like walking away right then.. I haven't been back... I can name so many other instances, snarky comments, I just wanted to share my thoughts here so there you have it. I'm pretty sure if you took an authentic Indian curry transported it to Britain, gave it to an ethnic food snob and told them it was made in Yorkshire, they would laugh at how bad it is. I would actually like to conduct that experiment. Oh this doesn't apply to people who live in trendy inner city areas and actively dislike traditional English culture.

Are you mad at the claim of cultural appropriation or the fact that they hold other people to some standards when cooking their national dishes?

Yeah, I can't even tell what the ultimate point is here. Seems to be a few different points mashed together.

Post about what you want, but to be honest, I think it's kinda pointless to use this forum to just vent highly generalized cultural or political frustrations.

I'm just mad everyone is eating my tikka masala!
I like to add a few tail feathers from a goose into mine when cooking and call it Tikkla Masala

Personally, I feel every country can share India's beef (yeah I know they don't eat cow...) with people making sub-standard or completely versions of their cuisine and try palm it off as authentic.

I don't, however, feel it's cultural appropriation to try and mimic any dishes. But if you're going to call something by its name, do it properly.

Personally, I feel every country can share India's beef (yeah I know they don't eat cow...) with people making sub-standard or completely versions of their cuisine and try palm it off as authentic.

I don't, however, feel it's cultural appropriation to try and mimic any dishes. But if you're going to call something by its name, do it properly.
Not sure if this is directed toward me but in fairness I have changed the name to reflect the addition of ingredients

I recently found a nice Indian café, an old lady in the back in traditional Indian garb making the food, I was talking to her son the owner, and mentioned I liked the other Indian round the corner, his lip turned up in a snarl, oh they're Bangladeshi, that's not authentic, they are ruining it for everyone.. I felt like walking away right then.. I haven't been back...
yeah , it irritates most indians that pakistanis and bangladeshis divided the country out of pure hatred for us , and then they have the gall to call their restaurants as indian restaurants !!

and just in case you are going to say that we subcontinentals should not bring our brawls into britain , then you should have really produced more children so that there would be no need of immigrants and their issues .

@ashdoc I don't know about the OP but I can taste the difference between proper Indian cuisine and someone just doing their version of it.

Here, there's only one Pakistani restaurant that I could find, and it doesn't state it's Indian food. But it doesn't say what kind of food at all it is...you know ny the name. "Little Karachi" is hardly Indian. And the difference in taste from that place's food to the authentic Indian restaurants here is WILD.

Seems to be a few different points mashed together.
The OP is definitely getting a little stewed about all of this.

yeah , it irritates most indians that pakistanis and bangladeshis divided the country out of pure hatred for us , and then they have the gall to call their restaurants as indian restaurants !!

and just in case you are going to say that we subcontinentals should not bring our brawls into britain , then you should have really produced more children so that there would be no need of immigrants and their issues .
I think we need more trees, not immigrant babies... but that aint going to happen is it now.

That Bangladeshi "Indian" restaurant does a superb Dhansak… it all tastes the same to us cabbage raised uncultured Brits...

spicy!!! mmmmmm

Not sure the OP is saying he likes Indian food. He's saying he likes any food made by anyone that claims it's Indian cusine whether it sticks to the recipe or not. He's saying the offended ethnicity should stfu about mentioning/complaining that the bull**** version isn't authentic.

But seriously, this works fror everyone, not just the Indians. Say someone in the USA goes to a ****ty fast food chain that styles itself on Italian food and that's that person's only experience of Italian food. If they walk away saying "it sucks", they still have no idea about Italian food. They're actually saying "this bull**** copy sucks", but hey, who cares right? Until it's YOUR national food dishes being disrespected by whichever country's in the mood to replicate your country's food go right ahead with the whine. You'll find out whe you go to some pub and a couple of idiots get in your face about how much British food sucks, and when you ask, all you've had is some US pub's version of English food.

If the OP likes Indian food he should check this out.
how do you give link to exact post on this forum ? tell me how . anyway , will check out the movie . the name kadam is from my state of maharashtra that's why .

how do you give link to exact post on this forum ? tell me how . anyway , will check out the movie . the name kadam is from my state of maharashtra that's why .

Dead easy.

Click the date of the post. Then copy that url and do this (without any spacing)

[ url=paste the url here ]NAME IT WHATEVER YOU WANT[ /url]

*remember to remoove the spaces within the opening and closing of square brackets.