10 GREAT Chinese Movies for you

Tools    

Raised and grown in China, I feel I am 'obligated' to recommend 10 classic Chinese movies to you.

In no particular orders:

1. To Live (1994)
2. Farewell My Concubine (1993)
3. Comrades: Almost a Love Story (1996)
4. Aftershock (2010)
5. The Monkey King (1963)
6. A Chinese Odyssey Part I and Part II (1995)
7. City of Life and Death (2009)
8. The Killer (1989)
9. In the Mood for Love (2000)
10. In the Heat of the Sun (1994)

Feel free to share those ones you like too.

I pretty much associated chinese cinema(or more likely hk) with action, martial art movies, the like anything jackie and stephen chow at their prime. I would like to venture on more dramatic like early zhang yimou and jia zhangke.

There opinions regard this in my list, have you see it?
Spring in a small town (1948)
Street angel (1937)
Yellow earth (1987)
Tie xi qu (2003)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've only seen Farewell My Concubine and In the Mood For Love from your list, but both are excellent. I've added To Live to my watchlist.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yes.
Street angel (1937)
Yes.
Yellow earth (1987)
Yes.
Yes!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I've only seen Farewell My Concubine and In the Mood For Love from your list, but both are excellent. I've added To Live to my watchlist.
To live is my all time favorite, 10/10 stuff.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Great.
Street angel (1937)
Great.
Yellow earth (1987)
Great.
Great.

Seriously, though:

Spring in a small town is a huge classic and believed to be the best Chinese movie of all time by some critics. I've seen it a couple of years ago, and can't remember anything about it, except for the fact that I a) really liked it, and b) was still underwhelmed by it ,given its reputation. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and rated it
, but this one requires a rewatch. Maybe in a couple of years...

Street Angel is delightful and really funny in the most charming way when it's a comedy. When it turns into a melodrama, it's a rather typical one of its time, but still quite effecive and sad (especially the ending). It also features one of my favourite singers of all time - Zhou Xuan - who sings as beautifully as ever.

Yellow Earth is a very simple, yet effectively sad film. It's one of the first of Fifth Generation films and the simple story combined with images of mountains, barren earth and village festival are something that really stuck in my mind. A great little film.
'
Tie xi qu is a real cinematic behemoth. The first part has one of the greatest atmospheres ever created in documentary. The following parts leave the factory and are quite different in feeling, but still great. The movie is super-long, but it's not even the longest by the filmmaker - that would be Crude Oil.

“I was cured, all right!”
Police Story (1985) [Jackie Chan]
Chungking Express (1994) [Wong Kar-wai]
Hard Boiled (1992) [John Woo]
A Touch of Zen (1971) [King Hu]
Farewell My Concubine (1993) [Kaige Chen]
Spring in a Small Town (1948) [Mu Fei]
A Better Tomorrow (1986) [John Woo]
City on Fire (1987) [Ringo Lam]
Five Element Ninjas (1982) [ Cheh Chang]
Beast Cops (1984) [Gordon Chan]
Duel to the Death (1983) [Ching Siu-tung]