Movies everyone else loved but you hated

Tools    

I'm sure I posted in this, or is there another double topic made later somewhere...

Don't hate the following, but some I don't get the big fuss about:

Lord of the Rings trilogy, especially the third one
Casablanca
Forrest Gump
Sideways
Cloverfield
American Pie movies
Toy Story trilogy
Clerks
Although I quite like Forrest Gump and enjoyed the Toy Story movies well enough, I agree that none of the movies on the list are deserving of the "big fuss" they received. LOTR, on the other hand, I hated.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Here are my picks. Don't really hate any of them (with a few exceptions), but I just don't see what the hype is all about.

Forrest Gump (over-hyped, but very enjoyable)
Titanic (overrated)
Braveheart (Best Picture? Really?)
Casablanca (good writing, but don't see what the fuss is about)
A Beautiful Mind (good film, but not terrific)
Moulin Rouge! (I hate this one because it's a mess)
Gladiator (entertaining, but that's about it)
Slumdog Millionaire (enjoyable to watch, but I personally didn't get it)
Saving Private Ryan (overrated)
Twister (it was a mess before the tornadoes came tearing through it)
Independence Day (good visuals, but sloppy character development)
Dances with Wolves (just didn't entertain me that much)

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
I've seen that movie several different times, and I just can't see what made it so amazing to people. Mel Gibson's "Scottish" accent is terrible, the camerawork feels off at times, and the overall direction isn't something to really marvel at (except for the battles, which are done surprisingly well). I would've picked Apollo 13 personally for best film of that year.

Here are my picks. Don't really hate any of them (with a few exceptions), but I just don't see what the hype is all about.

Forrest Gump (over-hyped, but very enjoyable)
Titanic (overrated)
Casablanca (good writing, but don't see what the fuss is about)
A Beautiful Mind (good film, but not terrific)
Moulin Rouge! (I hate this one because it's a mess)
Gladiator (entertaining, but that's about it)
Slumdog Millionaire (enjoyable to watch, but I personally didn't get it)
Saving Private Ryan (overrated)
Twister (it was a mess before the tornadoes came tearing through it)
Independence Day (good visuals, but sloppy character development)
Dances with Wolves (just didn't entertain me that much)
Being a movie critic has got to be the easiest job in the world.
One thing, there is a big difference between hype and merit.
The movies that get the rewards usually deserve them so they are not hype.
Personaly I appreciate the Oscars most of all because the voters are all in the industry and pretty much know what they are voting for ( unilike most critics ). Hell, anyone can be a movie criic, but to be a good one takes some work and knowledge.
I'm just curious, what part of Slumdog Millionaire didn't you get?

Not a big fan of this also

You got to be kidding:
What's the logic in your grouping? You equate Sideways with Clercks, Forrest Gump with Cloverfield and Casablanca with Toy Story?

Casablanca is arguably Humphrey Bogart's best movie and Forrest Gump, Tom Hank's best performance and Sideways is one of the best light comedies ever but hey obviously some of us just don't get it.
There is no logic in the 'grouping'... they are just a list of films I didn't like as much as everyone else who does, nothing connects the group apart from me not liking them...

And I got Sideways thank you. Just because someone doesn't like a film doesn't mean they don't get it.

As for Casablanca, I respect Casablanca for what it is in film history, I just didn't enjoy it after all the praise it gets.

There is no logic in the 'grouping'... they are just a list of films I didn't like as much as everyone else who does, nothing connects the group apart from me not liking them...

And I got Sideways thank you. Just because someone doesn't like a film doesn't mean they don't get it.

As for Casablanca, I respect Casablanca for what it is in film history, I just didn't enjoy it after all the praise it gets.
Perhaps you missed my point, which was that I didn't see all those movies being mentioned in the same breath together as obviously some were much better than the others and didn't belong in the same group, but it's your group and mine is just to nit pick your choice..... You " respect " Casablanca, but it's no better than Clercks?

They are films I didn't enjoy but a lot did, that's the list. Doesn't matter about how much more I rate Casablanca over Clerks, or the films 'don't belong in the same group' and so on.

They are films I didn't enjoy but a lot did, that's the list. Doesn't matter about how much more I rate Casablanca over Clerks, or the films 'don't belong in the same group' and so on.
Now that I know you are a girl, I feel bad.

I don't hate this movie. It's definitely an important piece of film history, and a great work. I mean Orson Welles is in it, for Pete sake. But why is Citizen Kane consistently rated as the top movie of all time? I can think of several films I would rank at #1 over Citizen Kane.

I don't hate this movie. It's definitely an important piece of film history, and a great work. I mean Orson Welles is in it, for Pete sake. But why is Citizen Kane consistently rated as the top movie of all time? I can think of several films I would rank at #1 over Citizen Kane.
Ok, let's hear some.

Ok, you asked for it. Films I would rank as #1 over Citizen Kane. In all fairness, I thought I should only list films from the 1940's and 50's

Best Years of our Lives
The African Queen
Casablanca
All About Eve
It's A Wonderful Life

I have to admit, I have a hard time debating why Citizen Kane was not the top film of it's era..............But #1 of all time? I'm just not seeing it. I guess I will be blasted by Citizen Kane lovers. But that's ok, I think it is a great movie also. I remember watching it for a high school assignment.