Disregarding sequel(s) in a series, then remaking them.

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Singer did this with Superman Returns, making it a direct sequel to the second film.

It ends up being an odd mix in my opinion. I'm looking forward to the new Halloween film, but I was a fan of H20.

Suspect's Reviews

We've gone on holiday by mistake
This would work for Star Wars.

Welcome to the human race...
Ah fair enough another example....haven’t seen the hilander movies also. I guess it can be a cheap cop out although you could say the same for a poorly made remake or sequel. It’s not as though it’s a guaranteed money maker either. If a series isn’t popular...for whatever reason...perhaps multiple poor instalments... it’s unlikely to have any demand even with this spin.
Highlander was already a low-rent/cult franchise so it could get away with multiple continuities like that (and would also explain why there hasn't been a remake yet anyway). I think it seems a little worse with this particular kind of sequel because if the whole point of disregarding continuity is to improve on the old continuity then it's setting an even higher bar and setting itself up for an even bigger failure (which is arguably what happened with Terminator Genisys).

Quiet, you.

Got to give credit……this topic was discussed by an Australian podcast I listed to last night called Reel Chat. The presenters, prior to discussing the original Terminator, discussed the possibility of a brand-new Terminator film disregarding every installment following T2.
By doing this, the film makers are essentially remaking a sequel as apart from rebooting a series with say an origin story, etc. They further discussed whether Hollywood would adopt this approach and believe that it had not been doing before….on a mainstream level.

Another example they gave…was the Alien series. Imagine if a film maker chose to disregard Alien 3 and sequels and really make a new Alien 3 with the original two still in the timeline.

What else could this work for? Doesn’t have to be a series could be just a part 2/sequel that you thought was dismal.
I’d like to see them redo Blade 3 lol. Things could still work if actors were older just needed to write an appropriate story/script.I'd also like a another shot at the Pitch Black sequels with Vin Diesel. That story went loopy as.
I liked where they went with the Pitch Black sequels but I did have some reservations over Riddick's basic similarity to the first film – only at first though as I still loved it !

Another example of them disregarding what came immediately before is Highlander 3, which feels a lot like the proper Highlander 2.

I didn't like either of the sequels for Taken. They stuck too rigidly to the kidnap plot, especially in the second one.

Some people say they don't like Prometheus cause it's not in the same universe as Aliens, but is that true, since Aliens takes place after and all?

Prometheus and Covenant are prequels/side stories.

As for how I feel about the concept, I can't say I'm particularly fond of it. Like others have said, it just seems like it can too easily be used as a cheap cop-out to over-correct for lesser installments and appease discontented fans for profit (which also feeds into the toxicity of fan entitlement). The main example I think of is people still holding out for a "proper" follow-up to Aliens that brought back Ripley, Newt, and Hicks and had the Xenomorphs coming to Earth (especially when it looked close to happening with Neill Blomkamp recently) but I can't get excited at the prospect because it just sounds like it's going to be watered-down Aliens (much like how Terminator 3 was a watered-down T2).

I get the impression it was Blomkamp's idea that spurned Scott into making his prequels.
I mean, making a sequel that disregards Alien 3 is just stupid.
Ripley's story is that of tragedy. Simple as.
They retconned Ripley's death once already by cloning her in the God-awful Resurrection... but to just redo a sequel that ignores 3 and 4, because you're a fanboy of part 2 is ridiculous.
Glad that Blomkamp hack got shelved by Scott tbh.

This might just do nobody any good.
Singer did this with Superman Returns, making it a direct sequel to the second film.
*quietly*

I like Superman Returns.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Ah fair enough another example....haven’t seen the hilander movies also. I guess it can be a cheap cop out although you could say the same for a poorly made remake or sequel. It’s not as though it’s a guaranteed money maker either. If a series isn’t popular...for whatever reason...perhaps multiple poor instalments... it’s unlikely to have any demand even with this spin.
Highlander was already a low-rent/cult franchise so it could get away with multiple continuities like that (and would also explain why there hasn't been a remake yet anyway). I think it seems a little worse with this particular kind of sequel because if the whole point of disregarding continuity is to improve on the old continuity then it's setting an even higher bar and setting itself up for an even bigger failure (which is arguably what happened with Terminator Genisys).

Quiet, you.
Yes I hear you although that is quite pessimistic...although I generally agree as I feel film making in general has diminished in quality.

Another part of my thinks.. if a film series can improve by this method (disregard and remake)....why not.

I didn’t want to include that as an example as it would have probably diverted convo but...yes. I would love it if those movies didn’t exist.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
No so not remaking the originals. So for example we have terminator 1, 2 and 3..I know there are others but trying to keep it simple. Ok so we disregard 3. They remake 3 with a brand new story etc. so if we were to watch the films as how they “now” intend it. It would be the original and T2 and this brand new T3. Hopefully that makes sense? Sorta hard to explain with written words. It’s remaking a sequel basically which is rarely done.
Oh okay. Yeah I can't think of any sequels that were remade. I don't know if Never Say Never Again counts. It's a remake of Thunderball, but not sure if Thunderball counts as a sequel, when it comes to James Bond.

No so not remaking the originals. So for example we have terminator 1, 2 and 3..I know there are others but trying to keep it simple. Ok so we disregard 3. They remake 3 with a brand new story etc. so if we were to watch the films as how they “now” intend it. It would be the original and T2 and this brand new T3. Hopefully that makes sense? Sorta hard to explain with written words. It’s remaking a sequel basically which is rarely done.
Oh okay. Yeah I can't think of any sequels that were remade. I don't know if Never Say Never Again counts. It's a remake of Thunderball, but not sure if Thunderball counts as a sequel, when it comes to James Bond.
Bond franchise is a weird one. I don’t know how to explain it in terms of continuity.

What about Jaws: The Revenge as a remake of Jaws 3-D? I never saw it but I read that it acts like Jaws 3-D never happened, so would that therefore, make it a sequel remake?

What about Jaws: The Revenge as a remake of Jaws 3-D? I never saw it but I read that it acts like Jaws 3-D never happened, so would that therefore, make it a sequel remake?
If that’s the case then yea it would be...good pick up. Do you know why 3 was disregarded?

If that’s the case then yea it would be...good pick up. Do you know why 3 was disregarded?
Not sure why, but that's what I heard in this youtube review:

Apparently according to that, Universal actually called Jaws: The Revenge the third movie in the series, wanting to forget the actual 3rd one even happened.

Welcome to the human race...
The Rock is a James Bond sequel.

What’s that? Lol. Not the best with internet lingo.
It's basically slang for fan theory - the word itself comes from when you use your head to invent part of a story's canon.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
*quietly*

I like Superman Returns.
Can't help but think DC /justice league would be less of a cluster **** if they had stuck with Routh. Superman Returns is superior to the latest Superman outings.

I guess another James Bond example would be On Her Majesty's Secret Service cause it comes after You Only Live Twice, yet Blofeld doesn't recognize Bond or have any idea who he is it seems.