The 3rd Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
See that's a shame, because young students can and should learn how propaganda is used to control and sway the masses. Propaganda is a powerful and dangerous too. If we forget the lessons on how the Nazi's were able to control and sway the majority of the German population then such things can repeat themselves. Ignoring the dangers of state sponsored propaganda is like ignoring the Holocaust.
This.

I think the reason they don't show it in any school or university class is because if the influence Adolf Hitler had on the people of Germany at the time and that some of the people who would view it may have had some relations who were part of the Third Reich.

Sorry for my bad English :p
I began with the shorter ones:

Two & Two (2011)

The subliminal message is very clear! It tells a bit how revolutions start! The shooting scene is very good, I loved that all had imaginary weapons but you could still hear the sound! I also loved those 2 final seconds: you can't kill an idea.
It could be a little longer!

+

[/center]
i'm glad that you like it.
i think the length is ideal, the movie have only one message that was clearly delivred.

Watched Two & Two as well. Clear message on the danger of an authoritarian figure, I must say I don't understand the point of the invisible weapons though, everything else was effective and clear. Agreed that it's a perfect run time.

i think that the invisible weapons represent a figurative or metaphorical death, i mean the movie is a metaphor it's not about 2+2 it can be about a lot of things, so death is not the only punishment possible IMO.

the problem represented in two & two exist everywhere not only in dictatorship countrys, in many levels and forms, and the teacher character can be a metaphor for goverment, media, parents, society...

I disagree! Art in the form of cinema doesn't have to be all about character development or story telling.
I never said that.

Besides, what about written short stories? You don't like them either?
They are ok. But I prefer longer ones.

the problem represented in two & two exist everywhere not only in dictatorship countrys, in many levels and forms, and the teacher character can be a metaphor for goverment, media, parents, society...
Yes! I think it definitely shows a clear message about manipulation! And that manipulation often starts in schools! When I meant I wantedit to be a bit longer is because I was enjoying it so much I wanted more things to happen!

Elefante (2011)

The beggining reminded me of American Beauty and I was thinking "oh, this story again...". But then it comes the transformation and it turned out to be a beautiful story!
I think the power of this short is that the elephant can be a metaphor to so many things! Touching!

The Guard Dog Is very funny. It's hilarious to see the dangers facing his master through the eyes of the dog. Now I see why my dog is so protective of me when we go out!

Night and Fog (1955)

I started writing a small write up about this, 15 minutes later I had a review on my review thread. Oh well...

The problem with most Holocaust films is that they portray the story as a one time only event. They make it so overly sentimental that the viewer is able to distance himself of what he's seeing and takes comfort on the idea that something like that will never happen again.

But not Night and Fog.

Alain Resnais presents the line between past and present as it really is: thinner than we think. To do that, it relies only on real footage of the concentration camps during the Holocaust and of the same concentration camps 10 years after the end of the WW II. The voice over tells us what we are seeing, making us look at all the details, never letting us off the hook. We're not supposed to feel comfortable, not even by looking at abandoned concentration camps. The fingernail scratches on the walls of the gas chambers are there. It happened and we better remember it!

The fact that it has only 30 minutes doesn't make it less powerful, on the contrary, it condenses its message into an overwhelming half an hour.

My only complain is for the soundtrack. Its complexity may get a bit distracting and almost inappropriate. Maybe some absolute silence moments could help make the message even stronger, if that's even possible.

Overall, Night and Fog is a masterpiece. The fact that my mind and my body can't disconnect of what I just seen is the first sign I just witnessed something extraordinary.
Amazing nomination Sane. Thank you.

When I meant I wanted it to be a bit longer is because I was enjoying it so much I wanted more things to happen!
in that case i'm with you

Pas de Deux was lovely. Amazing how graceful the human body can be and seeing it in silhouette and slow motion just enhances that.

Interior Designs link didn't work for me, but I got the transformation scene on YouTube , freaky and very clever.

I Don't Want To Go Back Alone is a lovely uncomplicated love story. I don't know whether the longer film had more angst and problems, but the short was sweet and innocent, and feelgood.

Ok, almost finished with this HoF. Now I only need to rewatch a couple of movies and then I will send in my list.

Some comments of the stuff I already watched:

Le Voyage dans la lune a.k.a. A Trip to the Moon (George Méliès, 1902) - Nominated by Nope1172

Pretty ok short movie. It's extremely primitive in the way it was made: the "direction" essentially consists of filming a theater stage and I found it more interesting as a window into early 20th century European mentality and society rather than as a short movie into itself.

Pas de Deux (Norman McLaren, 1968) - Nominated by Neiba

Cool showing of the grace and elegance of ballet. I didn't find it terribly interesting though.

Skazka Skazok a.k.a. Tale of Tales (Yuriy Norshteyn, 1979) - Nominated by Friendly Mushroom

One classic of animation shorts. Miyazaki himself said that he greatly admires and is impressed by the power of Norstein's anime. This one is in my top 100 animations and it is full of symbolism (including what I interpreted as subtle criticism of Soviet Russia itself) and pretty much nothing else.

Kanojo no omoide a.k.a. Magnetic Rose (Kôji Morimoto, 1995) - Nominated by Guaporense

It has been 4 years since I watched this short film, like Tale of Tales it is in my top 100 aniamtions list. It is an horror film, surprisingly effective even to my highly desensitized eyes and despite measuring only 45 minutes it is faster paced than live action film, hence it has the scrip of perhaps a typical 60-70 minute live action feature. The art is the classic 1990's Japanese adult animation style featuring highly organic textures, darker and more realistic designs than typical contemporary anime. Anyway, I plan to re-watch it because my memory of it is imperfect.

Guard Dog (Bill Plympton, 2004) – Nominated by Cobpyth

So far I have watched half a dozen of Plympton's shorts. They are pretty dull and characterized by terrible art. While American animation usually suffers from crude art in some cases it can be so crude as to not allow me to actually enjoy it and immerse myself into the animation. This is not a problem that characterizes American comics, which tend to have highly sophisticated art that even rivals manga in some cases (contemporary American "manga" like Morrison's Seven Soldiers of Victory comes to mind). Though it is impressive that the cartoonist who made this short film probably drew it by himself on the whole.

Eu não quero voltar sozinho a.k.a. I Don't Want to Go Back Alone (Daniel Ribeiro, 2010) - Nominated by Thursday Next

Oh yeah! Some of my fellow Brazilians sometimes attempt to make movies, most of the time they suck, but once in a while some of the stuff they make is actually watchable. This is one of the most watchable pieces of Brazilian screen media that I ever experienced. Highly "immersive" and accessible it is a realistic depiction of Brazilian teenagers though perhaps the acting is a bit stiff at some points. I liked the accurate way in which teenager Southeast Brazilian slang and accent was portrayed as well. Also reminded me about a teenager romance manga about a girl who is deaf that I just finished reading yesterday.

Elefante (Pablo Larcuen, 2011) – Nominated by donniedarko

Cool Spanish movie. It's a bit forced I guess in some places but funny on the whole. Highly entertaining and has some good cinematography. I couldn't make any highly sophisticated interpretations of it's symbolism, however.

Two & Two (Babak Anvari, 2011) – Nominated by AlexWilder

I bit unsubtle in it's main themes. But that's good because I usually like when ideas are presented in a clear fashion. This movie is a description of how society manages to impose itself upon the individual and forces him to suppress his own individual though processes in order to conform. Highly relevant for Iranian society today. Iranian cinema appears to me to be mostly about social criticism (at least from the set of dozen Iranian movies I watched), while interesting and relevant I would also like to see Iranians trying to do some cool science fiction fantasy action adventures at some point as well.

Ashes (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2012) - Nominated by Daniel M

Like the other movies I watched by the Thai dude, I found it is highly arid and difficult to digest and enjoy. I didn't take much from it I am afraid.

Is this a good link for "Kanojo no omoide" a.k.a. "Magnetic Rose" (Kôji Morimoto, 1995)?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzk...ray_shortfilms

Also, is this the same thing, but dubbed in English?

Awful fan dub. I obviously prefer that people who are not afraid of subtitles to watch the original version.

Interesting that there are some similarities in tone and design between 1995's Magnetic Rose and some computer game cutscenes from the late 1990's. Influenced perhaps?

(1998)

(1999)

Though older Hollywood movies already displayed these aesthetics (Alien (1979) I believe is an important landmark in this gritty science fiction style).

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Two & Two

This short film was only 6 minutes, and it told a very good story. The freedom of speech message of the film was very clear, and I liked that. I wrote a review of South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, and talked a lot about free speech, so if you want my opinion on that, go there. Overall I liked the film for what it was, and I thought it gave a weird dream-like vibe.

+

Eu não quero voltar sozinho a.k.a. I don't want to go back alone (2010)

A pretty good short! As Guap said, it's very immersive and has a quite sincere energy... The acting is indeed a bit stiff sometimes but the script is very nice!