Ghost In The Shell (2017)

Tools    

I could be wrong, but I took several semesters of Japanese for reading/translation in college, worked in an East Asian Library for 8 years, and all the signs I'm finding in screen shots look Chinese to me. It was also a Japanese acquaintance who originally suggested the setting as Hong Kong to me, which is where I'm getting my assumption that the points I'm making might seem reasonable to the original audience. I'm getting kind of weary of arguing about this, but if you find some strong evidence that the signs are meant to be read in Japanese, let me know; it would probably change how I view the movie.
Nah, you got me there. That looks like Chinese to me. Weird, if you ask me.

Dialing it back the whitewashing bit, here's an interesting video:

I'm still not hype.
There was hype?

That being said I agree with Iro. While I see they attempted to recreate a few iconic shots from the movie, why watch a live action adaptation of an anime that will more then likely PG-13 when I can watch the anime that was filled with graphic violence?

Welcome to the human race...
That's why I said "still not hype", as in even the first full trailer hasn't managed to create it either.

I'll still reserve judgment for the time being - at the very least, I'm hoping it won't be as bad as Lucy.

I'd say it looks pretty darn cool so far.

why watch a live action adaptation of an anime that will more then likely PG-13 when I can watch the anime that was filled with graphic violence?
o_o Why is this your first concern? OF ALL POSSIBLE CONCERNS?

just posted this actually
the suit looks just awful,and so does the fake lesbian scenes.unless shes actually a lesbian that is,cos i dont havent seen the anime.
Someone of the fighting scenes looks good,the spiderwoman looked great.

Haven't been following who is in this, my interest has grown since watching the trailer - Juliette Binoche, Takeshi Kitano, Michael Pitt and Pilou Asbaek! Nice cast.

I'd say it looks pretty darn cool so far.

o_o Why is this your first concern? OF ALL POSSIBLE CONCERNS?
I saw Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender. Let's just say I have had a bad run with live action anime and cartoon adaptations.

That's why I said "still not hype", as in even the first full trailer hasn't managed to create it either.

I'll still reserve judgment for the time being - at the very least, I'm hoping it won't be as bad as Lucy.
Gotcha.

I never saw Lucy so I cannot comment there.

Live action adaptations don't always work out, so the apprehension is understandable. But there's no denying that this looks absolutely amazing. Then again, I did think the same of Lucy and that turned out to be a steaming pile of turd. All I'm saying is that I'm pretty hyped.

Please don't pull a Lucy.

Ha. I just read this after posting my reply.

Nah, you got me there. That looks like Chinese to me. Weird, if you ask me.

Dialing it back the whitewashing bit, here's an interesting video:

Racism is an Western ideological construct. This thing about caring about a person's phenotype to a degree that a person is labelled as being part of a group and being inherently different because of their phenotype is not something that actually exists to a substantial degree outside of US, Canada, Australia and certain parts of Europe.

In Brazil people are not identified by their race: their are understood to be individuals. We are color blind and cannot care that much about a person's phenotype. In Japan people are "xenophobic" in the sense that they care about a person being a foreigner or Japanese but they don't think in terms of race in the same terms as US people or UK people do: a movie set in place X must feature actors that look like X's people. Only people in these countries think in those terms.

I saw Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender. Let's just say I have had a bad run with live action anime and cartoon adaptations.
That's like saying you are not going to watch a book adaptation like the Godfather because you disliked the adaptions of books like Harry Potter and Narnia.

I'm still not hype.
That looks really like: "GitS for dummies". It's like "OMG she is a cyborg" as if she were the first cyborg ever instead of being one of the millions of cyborgs in the GitS world. The dialogue featured in the trailer also has a lot of typical Hollywood one liners.

i dunno why this film reminds me of blade runner, and waiting for blade runner 2049 , ryan gosling all the way,

That's like saying you are not going to watch a book adaptation like the Godfather because you disliked the adaptions of books like Harry Potter and Narnia.
Cinema has done very well in adapting books. They SUCK at adapting video games to movies, and trying to condense a season of an anime into a 2 hour movie.

Cinema has done very well in adapting books. They SUCK at adapting video games to movies, and trying to condense a season of an anime into a 2 hour movie.
I don't think GitS will be bad actually. I think it's going to be all right although it does not look like it's going to be like Oshii's artistic film.

Also it is technically a comic book adaptation and Hollywood did good comic book adaptations. Like Sin City and 300. So I don't have bad expectations of it although I feel like it's going to be like Terminator 5 in being very derivative.