Series You Rank In Release Order

Tools    

The Godfather, Nolan's Batman, Back to the Future, Mad Max

A system of cells interlinked
^Technically the original Superman series is 5 films... Superman returns is better than the fourth though.
Superman Returns seems to forget the events of III and IV for some reason.
The reason being that they have been removed from the series by the studio, after the fact. When Richard Donner was allowed back to recut Superman II, the studio decided to remove three superman films from the canon to preserve continuity the best they could: Superman II (Lester Cut), Superman III, and Superman IV: A Quest for Peace have all been removed.

It now runs Superman : The Movie, Superman II (Donner Cut), Superman Returns.

It has to be this way for the kid in Returns to exist at all. As a fan of the originals growing up, I started noticing the issues with Lester's cut after not seeing it for a long time, and then trying to give it a watch sometime in the early 90s. The film is GOOFY, has way too many sight gags and silly one-liners, and for the love of Pete, Superman makes a SOUFFLE with his heat vision...That was just...unacceptable.

Although it is clearly still flawed, the Donner cut is MUCH better, and ties the events of the first film in with the villains arrival on Earth is part 2, which was the original intention before Donner got fired, Lester took over, and Brando demanded ridiculous amount of money to be in the film, causing him to be removed from the proceedings entirely, eventually being replaced by Lara El.

And that's it. Man of Steel is NOT connected to the films in any way.

1| the Fellowship of the Ring
(9.0/10)
2| the Two Towers
+ (8.5/10)
3| the Return of the King
(8.0/10)
4| an Unexpected Journey
+ (7.5/10)
5| Desolation of Smaug
(7.0/10)

This reminds me, I still haven't seen the LOTR films.

Paranormal Activity no longer goes in release order for me after seeing The Marked Ones back in January. I thought it was surprisingly good and a definite improvement over the fourth.

Robocop
Jurracic Park

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Are there any movie series of any genre with at least three or more movies where your ranking for them is the release order they came out in? With the first being the best, the second being the second best, the third being the third best, etc.? A lot of user rankings for some movie series vary greatly, but how often do you rank any series in release order?

I think that a lot of movie series probably rank in the same order as their release order because it's rare for a sequel to be better than the original movie. This is not true for all movie series, but I think it's true for most movie series.

It's 50/50 for me, I tend to like originals the best a good deal of the time, but there's plenty of times I prefer a sequel as well. So it evens out for me.

Two years since there was last a post in this? Time flies.

Jurassic Park might still be one that goes in RO for me. I didn't much like Jurassic World at all barring the ending and JP3 is far from good itself, but I need to see the series again to see where the last two rank. Lots of people dislike it but for me The Lost World is the only good sequel so far in the series.

Welcome to the human race...
A little surprised that I'm the first person to say Terminator.

I myself have a preference for the original Terminator. T2 is excellent but I think the original has a certain edge and rawness to it that not even T2 could quite replicate.

Are there any movie series of any genre with at least three or more movies where your ranking for them is the release order they came out in? With the first being the best, the second being the second best, the third being the third best, etc.? A lot of user rankings for some movie series vary greatly, but how often do you rank any series in release order?

For me, some series I rank in the order they came out:

Jurassic Park
RoboCop
Iron Man (not counting The Avengers)
Child's Play
Paranormal Activity
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (live-action trilogy)
Alien would definitely be one of them. It's hard to say whether to include Prometheus but there's probably more reason to do that than the two AVP films.

So it would be in release order from 1–4. I think Prometheus would just about edge Alien 3 if I added it to the list.

A Whit Stillman Trilogy:

Metropolitan (1990)

Barcelona (1994)

The Last Days of Disco (1998)

After going through the Jurassic Park films again I think I re-rank JP in order of release as I did before. I really don't much like or enjoy Jurassic World at all barring the ending which was awesome but sadly not nearly enough to make up for the rest of the problems.

Blade might be another for me. I'm undecided whether 1 or 2 is my favorite.

Watching these again quite recently I liked Blade II slightly more than the first, but both are close in quality for me.

Welcome to the human race...
Also trying to think if there are any series where the opposite is true and each new installment is better than the last. Evil Dead is the closest example I can think of and even then I think I may lean towards II more than Army of Darkness. Also trying to decide if Universal Soldier, Fast and Furious, and Mission: Impossible might count as well.