Favorite character actor or supporting actor...

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's some more of my fave old-timey male character actors. I'll list some more female ones later.

Charles Coburn
Juano Hernandwz
Eric Blore
Edmund Gwenn
Sam Jaffe
Edward Arnold
Edward Everett Horton
Charles Ruggles
Sig Ruman
Felix Bressart
William Demarest
Ward Bond
Barry Fitzgerald
Victor McLaglen
Jack MacGowran
Peter Ustinov

Robert Duval, John Torturo, Jerry Orbach, William Devine.
Of course, Robert Duval went on to star in movies and even get an Oscar for Tender Mercies.
I think of a character actor as one that 's really good at his craft but does not necessarily became a star do to the fact that his image does not translate into a star. Often character actors are better actors than stars and not all stars are really good actors.
Robert Mitchum was lucky enough to have the image to go with his acting, on the other hand Robert Ryan didn't, although his performances were ceratinly great enough ( Wild Bunch ) for example.
Guys like Ernest Bognine and Lee Marvin did great work but were they more bankable than Cary Grant or Rock Hudson, no they weren't.
Hary Dean Stanton would be a great example of a great character actor that never became a star.
James Dean and Marlon Brando became stars from the get go.
Paul Newman could have been a bigger star if he hadn't been in Brando's shadow.
Kenneth Branagah can act circles around Tom Cruize, but is he a star?
There is a movie with Robert Duval and he plays a drunk preacher or something, but I cant remember the name of it? It was really good.

Mark nailed it; it's The Apostle, and it's one of my all-time favorites. It's a tremendous film and Duvall's performance is staggering. Can't recommend it enough.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Apostle reminds me of Elmer Gantry, and that's crammed with great character actors, such as Arthur Kennedy, Dean Jagger, Edward Andrews, John McIntire, Hugh Marlowe, Rex Ingram, Philip Ober, John Qualen and others.

J.D Cannon.
Denver Pyle.
Dub Taylor

Bruno Ganz
Max von Sydow
Tim Robbins
Juliette Binoche
Faye Wong
Bill Murray
Marcello Mastroianni
Giulietta Masina
Vincent Cassel
and Taner Birsel
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Heinlein

Just watched a movie with another of my favorite character actors, Eddie Marsan. Not that I've seen everything he's been in, but I've seen several that he stood out in.

Including: War Horse, Sherlock Holmes, The Disappearance of Alice Creed (particularly in this one), The Illusionist, Mission Impossible III, V For Vendetta and the list goes on and on.

I like the movie characters-
James Bond and Jack Sparrow. After watching Bond movies of Pierce Brosnan, I don't like him in his other movies.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
John C. McGinley. I've seen him in a lot of stuff, from Scrubs to Platoon to On Deadly Ground to Se7en to The Rock. Love the guy!

Hickey was awesome, especially in Prizzi's Honor. The scene where he yells at Anjelica Huston to "Shaddup!" then immediately and sweetly asks a child, "Wanna a cookie?" is aces.