Please recommend a book

Tools    

I wish I had seen this thread a long time ago, Slay!

Let's do a lesser known author and book, Patricia Anthony's God's Fires. No, I didn't pick my name based on this book; I read the book because of the name, and man am I glad I did. I love this writer, with her racy language and unique thought processes.

God's Fires is about alien encounters in the time of the Spanish Inquisition. It reads much less like a sci-fi novel than a historical fiction piece, with the perspective coming from people of earth in this time period, not some futuristic person or alien, and the extraterrestrial presense is very subtle, taking a long time to make itself fully felt. I find the religious implications that arise from this plot to be fascinating. If you want to read or watch something that very carefully broaches this subject in modern times, try Contact; if you want the excitement and intrigue that comes from a bold author who combines aliens and the Spanish Inquisition with a daring flare that invites controversy and ruffled ass hairs, then read Anthony's masterpiece.

But if fantasy is your thing, I highly recommend anything Dragonlance. I'd start with Dragonlance Chronicles.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh is a great book. The cartoon version of it has always been one of my favorite movies.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
  • Everything ever written by Roald Dahl - especially Matilda and George's Marvellous Medicine
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell
  • Harry Potter series - you know you want to
  • A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer - moving and distrubing, but worth it

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
I hated love in the time of cholera. maybe because i had to write a research paper on it but damn that book drove me nuts.
well, it's all subjective....as i've gathered you're only 14 or something....it would have driven me crazy to back then...but now it's just a really nice love story....and i like the vibe of early 20th century ex-colonial carribian columbia, very exotic...

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
[*]Harry Potter series - you know you want to
hehe...i ordered it from amazon (the latest one ) it should arrive in 10 days....oh joy oh happiness....
right now i'm reading the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy...seems like a fun book....

I just finished reading 'Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia' by John Dickie. Brilliant, and rather shocking book which is highly reccomended by me. What was most shocking? The bomb blasts on mainland Italy in the early 80's, the everyday murders, assassinations of famous political figures and judges. None of them. Instead I was shocked to see the extent of the mafias influence on the Italian state.

"Even today some areas of southern Italy are not under the full control of the legal government, in the sense that criminal associations create their own ‘legality’, their own shadow state."

The current Italian Prime Minister was took to court for collaborating with the mafia. The seven time Italian PM Giulio Andreotti had meetings in public with the most powerful mafioso at the time, and he even had a nickname of 'Uncle Giulio' by members of the mafia. He tried to change judges verdicts, and even got a journalist murdered, or supposedly so according to one pentito(or a collaberator with the police).

Most of it was a great read, and you will be suprised to see how much the mafia goes into the Italian government. At one time one third of the leading politcal party the DC was under investigation with ties to the mafia. Great book, well written and suprisingly gripping.

I would also reccomend the Ian Rankin 'John Rebus' books about a police officer in Edinburgh. Great books and very successful. 'Black and Blue' is definately one of his best. So much goes on I'll just post the plot:

Bible John killed three women, and took three souvenirs. Johnny Bible killed to steal his namesake's glory. Oilman Allan Mitchelson died for his principles. And convict Lenny Spaven died just to prove a point. "Bible John" terrorized Glasgow in the sixties and seventies, murdering three women he met in a local ballroom--and he was never caught. Now a copycat is at work. Nicknamed "Bible Johnny" by the media, he is a new menace with violent ambitions.

The Bible Johnny case would be perfect for Inspector John Rebus, but after a run-in with a crooked senior officer, he's been shunted aside to one of Edinburgh's toughest suburbs, where he investigates the murder of an off-duty oilman. His investigation takes him north to the oil rigs of Aberdeen, where he meets the Bible Johnny media circus head-on. Suddenly caught in the glare of the television cameras and in the middle of more than one investigation, Rebus must proceed wiht caution: One mistake could mean an unpleasant and not particularly speedy death, or, worse still, losing his job.

Written with Ian Rankin's signature wit, style and intricacy, Black and Blue is a novel of uncommon and unforgettable intrigue.
It won't push you mentally, but a great read nonetheless.

Agreed about Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia' by John Dickie - I'd recommend that too, and anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Try also The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Originally Posted by mrsjessica
Do you like Dean Koontz? "Odd Thomas" was a good one.
or maybe some Laurell K. Hamilton
I’ve read about a dozen of ‘em. Odd Thomas was okay, but my favorites are One Doorway Away from Heaven and The Taking. I love Doorway because when Koontz writes a book with good dialogue, he goes all out. It is one of his sharpest books. The Taking is an end-of-the-world story, and they’re nearly my favorite type. I've never heard of Hamilton, tho'.

Originally Posted by adidasss
...as i've gathered you're only 14 or something...
I believe he’s 21 now.

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell
  • Harry Potter series - you know you want to
I've read Animal Farm a couple of times now, and while I think it's good, it ain't no Nineteen Eighty-Four. As far as Harry Potter goes...read 'em all and liked 'em.

Originally Posted by firegod
God's Fires is about alien encounters in the time of the Spanish Inquisition.

But if fantasy is your thing, I highly recommend anything Dragonlance. I'd start with Dragonlance Chronicles.
SOLD!

As for the Dragonlance series, I’ve never gotten around to them yet. Thanks.

My favorite types of books are fantasy, apocalyptic, and then old classics.

Thanks for all the replies people…I’m a little overwhelmed with the amount of them and their many variations.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
" Of wee sweetie mice and men " by Colin Bateman, the funniest book I've ever read, Bateman is Ireland's equivalent of Carl Hiaasen.
" Quite ugly one morning " by Christopher Brookmyre, Scotland's answer to Bateman and Hiaasen.
Laugh out loud funny books, maybe a tad too sarcastic for our US mofos!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Yeah...sarcasm is lost on us American's. Hey! Whaddaya know...it's not after all!

Thanks for the picks.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan

Yeah...sarcasm is lost on us American's. Hey! Whaddaya know...it's not after all!

Thanks for the picks.

Apart from my spiritual home of Manhattan, man you ain't seen sarcasm till you've been there!!!

The Adventure Starts Here!
If you don't mind historical fiction from a woman's POV, I highly recommend Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (five books so far, all marvelously long and with incredible storytelling), Outlander being the first book in the series. (I got to read the first book in the series as part of a critique group on CompuServe before it was published, very cool!)

On the newer front, The Time Traveler's Wife is excellent (Audrey Niffeneger, I think is her name). And Life Of Pi was also good, although it took me a while to get into it.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is yet another well-written newer book.

After I finish with my current read (Ted Dekker's Black) and then HP and the Half-Blood Prince, I'll be starting The Historian. Then, the original War of the Worlds. That should take me right up to the September release of the Myst 5 game in September and Book 6 in the Outlander series around the same time.

Thanks a lot...and I don't mind stories that center on a womans POV. Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorite novels, as matter of fact. I looked up the Outlander series, and they sound mighty fine.

See how enlightened I am?

Well, actually, her POV, while female, is NOT silly or frivolous or girly. She's a very gritty storyteller, not pulling any punches in description or violence or anything. Amazing, really, how compellingly she tells a story. You're drawn in right from the beginning of the first book. When her books come out, they top the charts now and outsell Stephen King and everyone else. I can't wait for Book 6. Kinda feels like my own, grownup waiting for Harry Potter 6

Originally Posted by Austruck
Well, actually, her POV, while female, is NOT silly or frivolous or girly.
Well...good.

I've never read a "silly or frivolous or girly" book before.

...and I didn't expect that you had either.

Nope, can't say that I have. The closest thing to frivolous that I've read is Stephen King and Anne Rice.

Yeah, yeah, I know.

I always love these types of threads here because I'm constantly thrilled and excited to see just how much reading folks around here do ... and of such a wide variety too.

I like Anne Rice...to a point.

I'm ga-ga over Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat, but the rest of them get too bogged down with pity parties amongst the Vampires. So tough but so wimpy. Hey…I think I wrote out a long post about these books for you a couple of years ago. Does that sound familiar?

YES, actually, it DOES! LOL! Anne Rice is one of those novelists that I love as long as I don't read more than one of the books at a time. If you start reading them back to back, you get that "pity party" thing you mentioned.

I just bought her CRY TO HEAVEN about the castrati but that's a bit down my list of reading (probably not till Christmas at this rate!). I haven't even touched the Witch series yet. I think I left the Vampire series somewhere around Memnock the Devil.