110 artist(e)s that helped shape my musical taste

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Dean Martin - Canadian Sunset

Of the 'Rat Pack' artists my mothers' favourite was always Ole Blue Eyes whilst my father leaned toward SDJ so youth being youth I naturally had to toe a different line and prefer Mr. Crocetti. Why? - I simply adore his laid back delivery, almost sounding as if he's singing whilst ever so slightly under the influence yet it's so soothing and carries me away on the song.

I love Dean Martin's voice. I could listen to him sing the phone book.

Love Dolly, she's such an indomitable woman
True - someone knocks her down and she bounces right back up .... it's almost as if she has some sort of inbuilt self-righting mechanism?

Hahaha - I wonder if he ever contemplated doing that? Joking aside though I probably would too!

Electric Light Orchestra - Telephone Line

I know some might say that ELO tunes were sometimes a tad overblown and pompous but I think Jeff Lynne was a marvel when it came to orchestration and the fusion of pop, rock and classical works so well for me and still sounds fresh as a daisy even decades later.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hahaha - I wonder if he ever contemplated doing that? Joking aside though I probably would too!

With his voice and style, I bet he could make the phone book a best selling album.

Ella Fitzgerald - Blue Skies

Another lady with a simply fantastic voice and marvellous technique that is without a doubt one of the finest female singers ever.

Elvis Costello - (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea

His vocal style may not be for everybody but I love the amount of bite and bile he can instil in it and lyrically he is simply excellent.

Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear

Who doesn't know Elvis and like at least some of his material? 'Nuff said!

Eurythmics, The - Never Gonna Cry Again

The Eurythmics were an ideal partnership imo, Mr. Stewart had his finger on the pulse musically whilst Ms. Lennox had the perfect accompanying vocal style to enhance the often ethereal feel.

Fad Gadget - Saturday Night Special

Quirky would be the word I'd use to describe Mr. Tovey's alter ego - very much a marmite artist I would imagine ... luckily I love marmite

Fall, The - Hip Priest

Another one that would probably have most scratching their heads and tbh it's not exactly easy to describe why one likes Mr. Smith's (plus others) offerings. Often chaotic but with an underlying cohesion I do like a lot of them though, which is why my struggles with jazz confuse the heck out of me sometimes.

Foggy Mountain Boys - Foggy Mountain Breakdown

It's no secret I like bluegrass, partly for the intricate work that is in much of it and partly because I like the sound of both violin and banjo. Flatt & Scruggs are quite simply two of the best in that particular genre.

Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove

Much of disco I could take or leave but good funk is tough to resist at the very least tapping along to imo.

Fureys, The - Lonesome Boatman

Yeah they're folk, yeah they're Irish. They're also hugely talented so get over it

ah The Fureys, they're fantastic!

ELO is a favourite in this house too, and as you know I'm a big fan of funk and bluegrass too. Loving the list

Glenn Miller & His Orchestra - Perfidia

Big band music was another passion of my fathers which was passed on by indoctrination - in part thanks to being dragged to kindly brought to local performances when I was a nipper and in part by being bombarded with allowed to listen to lots at home. Mr. Miller was always one of his favs and perhaps unsurprisingly eventually became one of mine too with the way he always made the flow seem so natural and simple.

Human League, The - Being Boiled

There were bands that experimented with electronica well before them and that period only lasted a couple of years anyway before Messrs Ware and Marsh split to form Heaven 17 but for fans of the group from the early days such as myself some of those pieces are just as well loved, if not better in some cases, as the chart material that followed.