Movies that should be remade.

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think a lot of sci-fi B movies should be remade like Attack of the 50 Foot Woman and Invasion of the B Girls, cause I feel they could improve upon those ideas now, but Hollywood is not interested in remaking movies like that.

I still think we should have a proper Silver surfer film with a great director behind it, as this character is a bit of a mystery to me, he is evil but he has a soft side and can be turned good

yeah.. the whole Fantastic Four project should have been remade before it's release.. Silver Surfer and Galactus are very difficult and expensive characters to portray in the right way..

What does sometimes happen with less successful films of course is that you get the basic premise taken and reused because the name isn't worth as much, The Three Amigos turning into Galaxy Quest for example.

The Running Man.

Ghost
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Welcome to the human race...
Larry's post about Hollow Man reminded me that I would like to see a proper adaptation of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the source does feature a seriously depraved Invisible Man who gets seriously sanitised for the 2003 adaptation). Of course, you know how it is with adapting Moore - even the best ones are missing that certain something.

I'd also like to see them do a Running Man remake that's more in line with the grim tone of the book rather than the gaudy Schwarzenegger shenanigans of the film we did get.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Mortal Kombat lately so of course it's made me think about how they could always try giving it another shot. The series seems to have gone through enough of a renaissance in recent years that it could sustain a Tomb Raider-esque reboot, hopefully one that might actually try to match the games' capacity for violent excess (perhaps while pulling the same Days of Future Past-esque plot that the 2011 game did so as to drive the reboot home).

A bucket of anxiety
I started to ignore this thread, but I wanted to share this train of thought
What if we remade bad movies that didn't take advantage of their potential?

I'd also like to see them do a Running Man remake that's more in line with the grim tone of the book rather than the gaudy Schwarzenegger shenanigans of the film we did get.
The trouble is it would probably be like Total Recall, staying as a larger than life action blockbuster but losing the character and subversion of the Arnie film.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Mortal Kombat lately so of course it's made me think about how they could always try giving it another shot. The series seems to have gone through enough of a renaissance in recent years that it could sustain a Tomb Raider-esque reboot, hopefully one that might actually try to match the games' capacity for violent excess (perhaps while pulling the same Days of Future Past-esque plot that the 2011 game did so as to drive the reboot home).
I would love a MK reboot made with less cartoon substance. There have been enough ultra-violent flicks since its original release that I can't imagine anyone flinching at its potential now.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The trouble is it would probably be like Total Recall, staying as a larger than life action blockbuster but losing the character and subversion of the Arnie film.
I just watched it again recently, thinking it would make for a good remake. The original left out some background of it's Running Man game show world, that I feel it could have dived deeper into, and maybe a remake would be good for that. I don't think it would turn out as bad as the Total Recall remake, unless they made it that way.

Plus the cameras and sound they have in the future are perfect at every angle, and perhaps a remake would look better with actual an actual surveillance camera look to sell it better. I feel like they could combine the original movie with the original book. Have the main character do it out of volunteering, instead of being framed for murder, like in the book, but have it be on actual game show set with an audience, which the book didn't have.

As for Mortal Kombat, I feel that the original is still the best video game movie adaptation, with awesome, if not perfectly choreographed fight scenes, and it actually had pretty good casting for the characters, especially Tsang Tsung. I don't think there is any room for improvement on MK probably.

I just watched it again recently, thinking it would make for a good remake. The original left out some background of it's Running Man game show world, that I feel it could have dived deeper into, and maybe a remake would be good for that. I don't think it would turn out as bad as the Total Recall remake, unless they made it that way.

Plus the cameras and sound they have in the future are perfect at every angle, and perhaps a remake would look better with actual an actual surveillance camera look to sell it better. I feel like they could combine the original movie with the original book. Have the main character do it out of volunteering, instead of being framed for murder, like in the book, but have it be on actual game show set with an audience, which the book didn't have.
I'd say the real problem is that action blockbusters have become blander and more toothless since the 80's and early 90's, I don't think Hollywood would have the balls to make a film so openly critical of the status quo these days aimed at a mass market, just look at the Robocop remake.

Oh okay but when you say critical of the status quo, what would be the status quo nowadays though that they would have to be critically of? We're talking about a game show that kills people in a dystopian future, is that not do-able nowadays?

Welcome to the human race...
Eh, the original doesn't strike me as being all that subversive - it's a pretty basic dystopia with some shallow satire about television and the media thrown in, plus it still ends up being another over-the-top Arnold vehicle where the only reason you watch the film is to see him be an unstoppable, wise-cracking killing machine (compare it against Predator, which I'd say is a much better example of a subversive Arnold movie with its sub-textual criticism of the military-industrial complex). The movie doesn't have character, he does. Meanwhile, you read the plot synopsis for the source novel and tell me that a faithful adaptation wouldn't be the real subversion, especially considering how it ends with

WARNING: "The Running Man novel" spoilers below
the hero hijacking a plane and crashing it into the villain's skyscraper headquarters

whereas the Arnold film ending with

WARNING: "The Running Man film" spoilers below
the villainous game show host being taken down by guerrillas broadcasting proof of his lies to a public that unanimously turns on him

just looks naive nowadays.

In any case, there's definitely room to do right by the book and actually try to make a bloodsport dystopia movie that's genuinely unsettling and tense rather than a fun action blockbuster like the Arnold movie or The Hunger Games. I picture it having a vibe similar to Children of Men or The Road where the hero can't readily defend himself against hired killers and has to keep running and hiding without being able to trust anyone.

I would love a MK reboot made with less cartoon substance. There have been enough ultra-violent flicks since its original release that I can't imagine anyone flinching at its potential now.
It's Mortal Kombat, cartoon substance is the whole point. The violence is meant to be absurdly over-the-top in line with something like Evil Dead II or Riki-Oh or Braindead, not the kind of violence that's primarily about making an audience flinch.

1995 s fair game, keep the same music mark mancina, same kind of setting, but a better plot and more character development, love me some 90s action movies

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Originally Posted by Iroquois
It's Mortal Kombat, cartoon substance is the whole point. The violence is meant to be absurdly over-the-top in line with something like Evil Dead II or Riki-Oh or Braindead, not the kind of violence that's primarily about making an audience flinch.
What I mean is the PG-13, made for SyFy Sharknado quality in both the blood mode OFF and character silliness. I want the violence to be absurdly over the top. Evil Dead it is not, but would have been an improvement on the original MK movie IMO. Less Van Dammes Street Fighter and more The Raid. When I typed cartoon, I meant that the movie felt very children-friendly relative to the weight of the game---at the time of their individual releases. Yeah, kids were playing the game, but parents had no idea the level of violence it provided in the original arcade cabinets. That was unheard of at the time, at least here in the states. The movie had none of that. It was fun, sure, but it was not Mortal Kombat as the game depicted it.

Also, I don't mean an audience that would have deliberately sought out a movie like Evil Dead. I mean specifically, the general parenting audience that saw a mild action video game movie trailer that their then 10-15 year old boys were begging to see. Those parents would have flinched, I'm quite certain.

Anyhoo, Just a personal fantasy that didn't quite happen when I sat in the theater for this one. Borderline magical in context of the time, but not what it could have been. I'm not sure general audiences could have handled that though given how adults perceived video games then. It probably would have freaked a lot of people out the way South Park: Bigger Longer, & Uncut did for ignorant parents taken their kids to a "cartoon." Or even KIDS (1995). WOW that movie lasted less than a weekend where I live due to all the Christian Conservative parents and even grandparents blindly taking their children to a friendly Disney movie! I mean it has "kids" in the title! lol. sigh.