Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
You probably won't be surprised that I'm much more in cricket's camp than yours Daniel! Though I wasn't as negative with the score. Think I'd have gone about
. It's not so much that I hated or disliked it, I was just bemused by it. I'm sure that Jim Jarmusch had a reason behind everything in the movie, I just wasn't that clued in to what it was. And when you're not exactly sure what a scene or moment is trying to say then it has a tendency to come off like the film is being quirky just for the sake of being quirky.

Ah damn, that's a horrific rating. Disappointing obviously that you didn't enjoy it considering it's one of my favourite films. I know a lot of people find it boring, critics included (Ebert) but I honestly think it's quite a fast pace film with a decent linear story.
When just one gif isn't enough to sum up your bafflement -

I am being serious I never got the 'boring slow paced' complaint. People act like you have to get the symbolism to enjoy it. The story itself without symbolism is straightforward, and honestly I feel, fast paced. It's the 'leader' of a town trying to catch a murderer who is wounded as he attempts to escape. What is so weird about that. There's not many scenes like some art house films that use static cameras, long takes, or slow meditative type scenes with a lot of silence.

I stand by my statement.

The Passenger
(Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975)

I admire verbose writers like Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy, whose sentences tend to go on and on and on (and then on and on some more), but sometimes I prefer to read a writer like Hemingway, with his less-is-more philosophy, who practices a spare, sparse style devoid of bells and whistles. Antonioni takes the same minimalistic approach. This script, in the hands of a different director, would've played like a fast-paced thriller, but Antonioni slows it down. He allows each scene to breathe, emphasizing silence and drawing attention to the wide-open spaces. As a result, this would-be thriller turns into something deeper and more existential.

I think many of us, myself included, occasionally grow bored with the day-to-day monotony of our lives. So what would it be like to leave everything behind--- all of our demands and responsibilities and baggage--- and swap lives with someone else? Instead of being the driver of your own life, you can let go of the wheel and become a passenger in the life of someone else. Imagine the sense of freedom and re-birth and the endless possibilities that open up in front of you. No more nine-to-five. No more nagging wife. No more bills to pay. Every day becomes an adventure. You can fly to another part of the world or fall in love again or do whatever you want.

Jack Nicholson's character seizes such an opportunity when a man bearing a slight resemblance to him dies in an adjacent hotel room. Unfortunately for Nicholson, however, the man is a gunrunner for rebels in a nearby civil war. What should be an open door to a life full of new and exciting possibilities instead turns into a dangerous race for survival. Nicholson gives an excellent, understated performance (no 'crazy eyebrows' here), which isn't surprising, since this film was released during his unheralded string of hot-streak performances in the 70's. Some scenes--- particularly the more typical action-oriented scenes--- feel a bit out of place in the picture, probably due to the differences in tone between the script and Antonioni's approach to the material.

No doubt that this is quality film-making, however; the kind of film that deserves and invites multiple viewings. Modern audiences might struggle with the pace, and, honestly, I wish I'd liked the movie more myself. I can't see myself ever loving this movie, but I definitely think my rating will increase after a re-watch. I'm tempted to increase my rating just because of the seven-minute tracking shot near the end of the film, which is easily one of the most beautifully-constructed and technically-proficient scenes I've ever seen. This "forgotten" film deserves a wider audience, even if it's just for that one scene alone.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I am being serious I never got the 'boring slow paced' complaint. People act like you have to get the symbolism to enjoy it. The story itself without symbolism is straightforward, and honestly I feel, fast paced. It's the 'leader' of a town trying to catch a murderer who is wounded as he attempts to escape. What is so weird about that. There's not many scenes like some art house films that use static cameras, long takes, or slow meditative type scenes with a lot of silence.

I stand by my statement.
Spoken like a true Lynchian

Great to see that I'm not alone in not loving Dead Man. I didn't hate it and would probably give it a
if I'm feeling generous, but I don't think it's anything special. I also found Young's score really irritating.

Another great review Captain Spaulding, I must say I have really enjoyed reading your movie thoughts recently. Looks like a film I would like myself, and with it being 70s Nicholson, I'll definitely have to try give it a viewing before submitting my 70s list

Another great review Captain Spaulding, I must say I have really enjoyed reading your movie thoughts recently. Looks like a film I would like myself, and with it being 70s Nicholson, I'll definitely have to try give it a viewing before submitting my 70s list
Thanks, Daniel. Judging by your ratings for other films, I'm confident that you'll find plenty to admire in The Passenger. It's the kind of film that JayDee, rauldc, Miss Vicky and a few other mofos would probably hate, so I think it'll be right up your alley.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Thanks, Daniel. Judging by your ratings for other films, I'm confident that you'll find plenty to admire in The Passenger. It's the kind of film that JayDee, rauldc, Miss Vicky and a few other mofos would probably hate, so I think it'll be right up your alley.
Me hating a Nicholson film? That would be something new.

It's the kind of film that JayDee, rauldc, Miss Vicky and a few other mofos would probably hate, so I think it'll be right up your alley.
I love it when people think they know my tastes. Very few of you MoFos ever seem to get it right.

It's the kind of film that JayDee, rauldc, Miss Vicky and a few other mofos would probably hate, so I think it'll be right up your alley.
Haha, that's brilliant. I love how you're new and you know the forum perfectly already

I knew that Miss Vicky would reply that you're wrong, that Raul would say he likes Nicholson, now we just need JayDee to pop up and be angry that we have 'another one of those posters like Daniel'.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I love it when people think they know my tastes. Very few of you MoFos ever seem to get it right.
Your tastes are very easy to predict. If I like it, you'll hate it. If I hate it, you'll like it. If it has Joaquin, you'll love it.

This might be a bit of a generalization, but it seems like the better the movie, the lower your rating.

Me hating a Nicholson film? That would be something new.
If you're a fan of his more understated roles, like in FIve Easy Pieces and The Last Detail, then you might like it, but I kind of doubt it.

I'm not saying he's wrong. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I certainly might hate it. I just find it really irritating when people think they know my tastes in movies, because most of the time they don't.

Wow. That's not insulting or anything.
I don't think that's insulting, or at least I don't mean it to be insulting. You like what you like, and that's fine, but during my short time here I've seen you give some very low ratings to several great movies, whether it was Mulholland Drive or Boogie Nights or whatever.

Even if Joaquin Phoenix was in The Passenger instead of Jack Nicholson, I still think you'd hate it. Too slow. Too boring. Too empty. Too pretentious. Those would probably be some of the criticisms thrown its way.

Even if Joaquin Phoenix was in The Passenger instead of Jack Nicholson, I still think you'd hate it. Too slow. Too boring. Too empty. Too pretentious. Those would probably be some of the criticisms thrown its way.
Enough with the Joaquin BS, people. It's really tiresome.

And I don't think I have EVER called a film pretentious.