Legend of Zorro

→ in
Tools    

How come there's no thread in here about the new Antonio Banderas-Catherine Zeta Jones movie The Legend of Zorro? I haven't seen the movie yet, but I was wondering if anyone else had.

The trailers havn't exactly sold me on the film, which is a shame as i'm sure Banderas is kick ass as always.

BTW, I find it very interesting how Antonio Banderas's screen career parallels the career of the legendary screen Latin lover Rudolph Valentino.

For example, in the Zorro movies, Banderas plays a masked vigilante, kind of like The Eagle, one of the screen characters played by Valentino. And, of course, Valentino is best known for his movies The Sheik and Son of the Sheik, while Banderas played the Arab sheik Ahmad ibn-Fadlan (with a similar name as Valentino's character, Ahmed ben Hassan) in the movie The 13th Warrior, which was based on Michael Crichton's novel Eaters of the Dead, in which an Arab Sheik (Banderas) finds his way to Scandinavia and meets a group of Vikings.

Interestingly, Antonio Banderas also looks a lot like Valentino--both actors are/were about the same height and have/had about the same skin tone. For example, in the movie Four Rooms, Banderas' character strongly resemble's Valentino's character Count Torriani in his movie Cobra.

I guess, all we need to see is Antonio Banderas playing a Spanish matador in a remake of another famous Valentino movie Blood and Sand.

I thought the trailer was horrible and the first one wasn't that great to begin with. I doubt I'll ever watch this movie unless I get stuck on the wrong flight and am forced to watch it.

Personally, I thought the first one was pretty good. I'd like to hear more reviews before going to the second one, though.

I thought The Mask of Zorro was a lot of fun and had hoped to see this one on the big screen… but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for the DVD…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
I liked The Mask of Zorro alot also. My daughter watches it often and I have my favorite parts.

We liked the trailers to Legend of Zorro...so this past weekend I took my daughter to see it. When I have more time I'll write more on it (hopefully tomorrow).

(Sorry about being a tease~~)

Originally Posted by Aniko
I liked The Mask of Zorro alot also. My daughter watches it often and I have my favorite parts.

We liked the trailers to Legend of Zorro...so this past weekend I took my daughter to see it. When I have more time I'll write more on it (hopefully tomorrow).
Zorro is a great California western, but for westerns based in California, nothing comes close to Marlon Brando's classic film One-Eyed Jacks, which he starred in, directed and, I think, wrote as well.

Originally Posted by darkhorse
BTW, I find it very interesting how Antonio Banderas's screen career parallels the career of the legendary screen Latin lover Rudolph Valentino.
According to my parents, Valentino was like Banderas, Clooney and Cruise (before he went nuts) combined. I'm always interested by greatness (of talent or popularity) that was before my time. Figures like the boxer Jack Johnson, the horses Man o' War and Seabiscuit and the heartthrob, Rudolph Valentino.

Other actors would be Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and Lon Chaney. Also Houdini and the Tiger Woods of his day, Bobby Jones.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Originally Posted by Twain
According to my parents, Valentino was like Banderas, Clooney and Cruise (before he went nuts) combined. I'm always interested by greatness (of talent or popularity) that was before my time. Figures like the boxer Jack Johnson, the horses Man o' War and Seabiscuit and the heartthrob, Rudolph Valentino.

Other actors would be Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and Lon Chaney. Also Houdini and the Tiger Woods of his day, Bobby Jones.
True, Valentino was the first Hollywood megastar, along with Douglas Fairbanks, I guess. And, of course, Charles Chaplin, who was another contemporary. And his influence on popular culture is felt even today.

What I really find interesting about Valentino is the characters he played. He became synonymous with the passionate, romantic figure. What's really powerful about him is his screen presence, which is almost hypnotic.

Jack Johnson was another extremely charismatic personality--and also tragic, like Valentino. I hear that if Johnson were to fight in the ring today, he would be indomitable, much as he was in his time.

All I know about Seabiscuit is from the movie with Jeff Bridges and whatsisname... I forget... Spiderman. But that is a powerful, moving film and I was profoundly moved by it.

About Antonio Banderas' career--true, he doesn't have the charismatic power and hypnotic screen presence that Valentino had (and still has, if you see his movies), but I find it interesting how Banderas' career parallels Valentino's in so many ways. To say nothing of the fact that both were/are the quintessential "Latin lovers" of their day. Also, the fact that they even have a pretty close physical resemblance and both are expatriates who moved to Hollywood and succeeded big time. I find it very interesting in many respects.

I guess, in terms of charismatic screen presence, the only other screen actor who ever came close (or even, possibly, surpassed) that of Valentino was probably Marlon Brando, whose screen presence was magnetic even when he was old and overweight.

It looks like the Legend of Zorro has been beaten at the box office by Chicken Little. The shame, the shame!

The Green Lantern
I thought it was a great movie. The opening scene was great. I hated the kid. He was a bit annoying. That kid really needed a good old fashion whipping. Take that kid to the woodshed.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

Originally Posted by GL2814
I thought That kid really needed a good old fashion whipping. Take that kid to the woodshed.

Put me in your pocket...
Zorro is a great California western, but for westerns based in California, nothing comes close to Marlon Brando's classic film One-Eyed Jacks, which he starred in, directed and, I think, wrote as well.
I kept meaning to come back to this, but I’ve been really busy lately. Anyway...

darkhorse...If you're looking for a great California western, The Legend of Zorro isn't it. If you’re simply looking for a fun date movie, this is it. Just enjoy the chemistry between Antonio and Catherine Zeta-Jones (they still sizzle and look great). And, look the other way at some of the special effects and a few historical blips....Oh...and over-look the obvious make-up on the main bad guy.

As far as the actions goes, there’s more fighting in this than in The Mask of Zorro. A few of the reviews I’d read complained about the over the top fighting style and not enough sword fighting. I didn’t notice how much more or less sword fighting there was than in the first to tell you the truth. And, the fighting was fun to watch...it sort of reminded me a little of Jackie chan’s style of fighting using props. Also I agree with GL2814 on the opening scene...it was nice eye candy.

All in all, The Legend of Zorro isn’t as good as The Mask of Zorro, some things were disappointing, but it was still alot fun. And, seeing Antonio and Catherine together are worth the price of the ticket.

Originally Posted by GL2814
I thought it was a great movie. The opening scene was great. I hated the kid. He was a bit annoying. That kid really needed a good old fashion whipping. Take that kid to the woodshed.

Yeah...I think they were trying too hard to fit the son into the story and have him portray the same spirit as “Zorro”. I didn’t think the son‘s part was incorporated as well or as well written as the son’s role in The Mummy Returns.

*?«>?rkhorse]
Hmm... I don't know if you're cursing me or if that's a spelling mistake...

darkhorse...If you're looking for a great California western, The Legend of Zorro isn't it.
I think you misread my use of the word "great". I meant that it's a cool movie, not necessarily a classic.

If you’re simply looking for a fun date movie, this is it. Just enjoy the chemistry between Antonio and Catherine Zeta-Jones (they still sizzle and look great). And, look the other way at some of the special effects and a few historical blips....Oh...and over-look the obvious make-up on the main bad guy.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say--it's a cool movie.

Nice review, though. However, I'll probably end up waiting for the DVD as I have no time for movies at this point in my life! Too busy with other things!

Put me in your pocket...
Hmm... I don't know if you're cursing me or if that's a spelling mistake...
Whoops....that was a posting too fast because I'm busy and should be doing other things and not being careful booboo. Sorry. I went back and fixed it.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say--it's a cool movie.

Nice review, though. However, I'll probably end up waiting for the DVD as I have no time for movies at this point in my life! Too busy with other things!
Thanks.

Actually, certain scenes will probably look better on a smaller TV screen than on the big theater screen...the fire scene in particular. It will be a good rental.

Good luck with whatever it is your busy with.

I will wait for this on DVD, I wasn't that fussed on the first one

After enjoying the Mask of Zorro, i saw Legend in theatres, and was somewhat dissappointed by it. It wasnt a horrible movie, but did not live up to the first movie by any means. I would recommend waiting for the dvd unless your a diehard Zorro fan.