2024 Film Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
The list for IMDb's Top 250 for 2023 has been published so I added the link in the OP. Gojira-1 is definitely a new entry since last year.

@Takoma11 @ApexPredator do you want to give some recommendations for the stamp of approval category?

Yes, sorry! I just was looking at this thread and went, "Oh, yeah! It is now 2024! You need to get started!!"

Films I rated 8 or higher on IMDb with less than 2000 votes!

Death Game
Christmas Again
Fear No Evil
Beauty and the Beast (1978)
Chameleon Street
Darker Than Night
Private Property
Siege
The Pied Piper (1986)
Bad Girls Go to Hell
Puberty Blues
Space is the Place
Blood Tea and Red String
The Long Hair of Death
Harlequin
When Pigs Fly
The Garden (1990)
Blind Woman's Curse
Mandabi
I Still Hide to Smoke
Lyle (2014)
Sweet Thing
The Long Walk
Starstruck
The Stranger In Between
Sun Don't Shine
Chan is Missing
Wolf's Hole
Blood & Donuts
The Third Eye
Boat People
A Land Imagined
Django the Bastard
Phantom of the Convent
Buddies (1985)
Slut in a Good Way
The Amazing Jonathan Documentary
Wild Girl
Losing Ground
Least Among Saints
Violence at Noon
Tikkun
I Will Follow
Brothers' Nest
Dina
Portrait of Jason
Jack Be Nimble
Crush the Skull
Manganinnie
Two Trains Running
M'Liss
Check It!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Definitely in on this. As always, THANKS Jabs for doing this!

Watchlist
Watched

Main Challenge 19 of 52  

Nightmare Mode 7 of 110  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And my recommendations:

Rome, Open City aka Roma città aperta (1945)
The Servant (1963)
Dead End (1937)
You Only Live Once (1937)
Hôtel du Nord (1935)
The King and the Clown aka Wang-ui namja (2005)
Children of Paradise aka Les Enfants du paradis (1945)
Classe tous risques (1960)
The Town (2010)
Band of Outsiders aka Bande à part (1964)
The Adultress aka Thérèse Raquin (1953)
El Conde (2023)
The Trial (1962)

Was planning on getting this done yesterday, but I worked on my latest Oscar race video instead...here ya go!

Recommendations:
Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith (2017) Netflix
Killer Diller (2004) YouTube
Redwood Highway (2013) Prime/Vudu/Tubi
The Hundred Foot Journey (2014) Available for Rent
FTA (1972) Netflix
Sir! No Sir! (2005) Netflix/Kanopy
The Ash Lad: In Search of the Golden Castle (2019) Peacock/Freevee/Tubi/Roku/Plex
Frantz (2016) Prime/Hoopla/Tubi/Crackle
Love at First Fight (2014) Tubi
The Fits (2015) Tubi/Kanopy
Confessions (aka Kokuharu) (2010) YouTube
Minari (2020) Netflix
The Farewell (2019) Netflix/Kanopy
Priceless (2006) Prime/YouTube/Tubi/Roku/Kanopy
All Is Lost (2013) Pluto/Tubi
The Pied Piper (aka Kryser) (1986) ?
Wrestle (2018) Plex/Kanopy
Come and See (1985) Criterion/YouTube
End of the Line (2007) Screambox
The Dooms Chapel Horror (2016) Screambox/Dark Matter/Run Time
Iris (2014) Kanopy/Tubi/Vudu/Plex
Spider Thieves (aka Ninas Arana) (2017) YouTube
No (2012) ?
The East (2013) Available for Rent
Deceptive Practices: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay (2012) Kanopy/Vudu
Tender Mercies (1983) Available for Rent
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970) Available for Rent
Tim’s Vermeer (2013) Available for Rent
Go For Zucker (2004) Fandor/Kanopy
Talon Falls (2017) Screambox/Tubi/Vudu
Blessed Benefit (2016) Netflix

The trick is not minding
Yes, sorry! I just was looking at this thread and went, "Oh, yeah! It is now 2024! You need to get started!!"

Films I rated 8 or higher on IMDb with less than 2000 votes!

Death Game
Christmas Again
Fear No Evil
Beauty and the Beast (1978)
Chameleon Street
Darker Than Night
Private Property
Siege
The Pied Piper (1986)
Bad Girls Go to Hell
Puberty Blues
Space is the Place
Blood Tea and Red String
The Long Hair of Death
Harlequin
When Pigs Fly
The Garden (1990)
Blind Woman's Curse
Mandabi
I Still Hide to Smoke
Lyle (2014)
Sweet Thing
The Long Walk
Starstruck
The Stranger In Between
Sun Don't Shine
Chan is Missing
Wolf's Hole
Blood & Donuts
The Third Eye
Boat People
A Land Imagined
Django the Bastard
Phantom of the Convent
Buddies (1985)
Slut in a Good Way
The Amazing Jonathan Documentary
Wild Girl
Losing Ground
Least Among Saints
Violence at Noon
Tikkun
I Will Follow
Brothers' Nest
Dina
Portrait of Jason
Jack Be Nimble
Crush the Skull
Manganinnie
Two Trains Running
M'Liss
Check It!
Darker than Night. That’s the one from Taboada’s? Same director as Poison for the Fairies?

Behind on reviews, but:

A. The Human Condition
[watch a film that prominently features the common themes listed below]
1. Blackmail The Raven (1943)
2. Infidelity 52 Pick Up
3. Theft Payback
4. Murder A Dark Place

Honestly, I'd rank them in the order they're listed above.

The trick is not minding
Behind on reviews, but:

A. The Human Condition
2. Infidelity 52 Pick Up
3. Theft Payback
4. Murder A Dark Place

The Raven is great
52 Pick up is meh.
Payback is ok.

Haven’t seen A Dark Place

I'm still grappling with whether or not I think it's intentional that the moral center of the film is a sweaty, gay, "live nude girls" dance club manager and his boy-toy cashier.

The trick is not minding
I'm still grappling with whether or not I think it's intentional that the moral center of the film is a sweaty, gay, "live nude girls" dance club manager and his boy-toy cashier.
Or about how they gloss over what happens to the wife….

Or about how they gloss over what happens to the wife….
I didn't think it was glossed over. She wasn't
WARNING: spoilers below
raped on screen, but the family friend makes a big point of talking about him being convicted twice of rape, he's been ogling her every chance he gets, and he starts to undress once he has her drugged in the bed. It's obvious that he's raped her---to us and to the main character--and honestly, I didn't mind that they kept it off screen.

What I DO think is a bit sketchy is that her rape seems more motivating to the main character than the graphic torture and murder of a young woman who died in part because of choices that he made. There's also some of that trope I really dislike of a man being punished/provoked by having "his woman" be raped. I think it's tired and it also kind of implies that Cini's death (or Doreen's death---also Harry's fault) isn't enough of a motivator.

The inclusion of a real-life rapist in the movie doesn't win it any points, either.

The trick is not minding
I didn't think it was glossed over. She wasn't
raped on screen, but the family friend makes a big point of talking about him being convicted twice of rape, he's been ogling her every chance he gets, and he starts to undress once he has her drugged in the bed. It's obvious that he's raped her---to us and to the main character--and honestly, I didn't mind that they kept it off screen.

What I DO think is a bit sketchy is that her rape seems more motivating to the main character than the graphic torture and murder of a young woman who died in part because of choices that he made. There's also some of that trope I really dislike of a man being punished/provoked by having "his woman" be raped. I think it's tired and it also kind of implies that Cini's death (or Doreen's death---also Harry's fault) isn't enough of a motivator.

The inclusion of a real-life rapist in the movie doesn't win it any points, either.
I don’t mind it being shown off screen, but it felt like it wasn’t really addressed from her point of view and what she was feeling but rather how it affected the protagonist (Schieder). She’s barely given any screen time to cope or shown how she is effected by it, which, yeah, we can assume, but could have elevated her screen time beyond being a victim to move the plot.

I don’t mind it being shown off screen, but it felt like it wasn’t really addressed from her point of view and what she was feeling but rather how it affected the protagonist (Schieder). She’s barely given any screen time to cope or shown how she is effected by it, which, yeah, we can assume, but could have elevated her screen time beyond being a victim to move the plot.
Right. A major problem with the film is that it largely uses its female characters, and especially the wife, as motivating factors. It never does any work to dig into how Barbara feels about everything. We get a good scene of her being upset about being cheated on. But when she finds out
that a woman was brutally tortured and murdered, she just . . . sort of doesn't react? All of her reactions are designed to keep the plot moving, to the point that her character doesn't feel like a real or coherent person.

The whole movie doesn't really care about how she feels, so it's no surprise that her having a chance to cope or process isn't at all a priority. The film would have been much stronger if she'd either (1) been more active in working with her husband to cover up the crimes or (2) kept her much more naive about it. Instead she's in this weird middle ground where she knows about everything but doesn't actually do much except be surprised or exasperated when needed.

Behind on reviews, but:

A. The Human Condition
2. Infidelity 52 Pick Up
3. Theft Payback
4. Murder A Dark Place

I had to think about The Raven for a bit, but I did see this as part of CI over at Murray State. Thought it was a bit slow-moving, but it did well enough showcasing the claustrophobia and paranoia over the doctor and his case.

I liked Payback well enough at the time, but not sure how it would hold up now.

I had to think about The Raven for a bit, but I did see this as part of CI over at Murray State. Thought it was a bit slow-moving, but it did well enough showcasing the claustrophobia and paranoia over the doctor and his case.
I quite liked it. I agree that the pace is slow, but I didn't mind it.

I liked Payback well enough at the time, but not sure how it would hold up now.
I thought it was mostly pretty stupid, and only about 20% of it was stupid-but-fun. And such a great cast, too!

Also answers to Jabba
I decided I will binge as much Yasujiro Ozu as I can in January and use him as my director for the challenge. Since I want to watch as many as possible, I will be using his films in any other category I can instead of adding them to "I have a vision" unless they fit nowhere else.

Welcome to the human race...
Just out of curiosity, how viable would a "10 films shot by the same cinematographer" challenge be?

Also answers to Jabba
Just out of curiosity, how viable would a "10 films shot by the same cinematographer" challenge be?

I have seriously thought about it over the years. Its viability as to finding enough fitting candidates is a question indeed and one of the two main reasons I have not included it thus far, the other is me being unsure about how much people are interested in looking up cinematographers. If there is sufficient interest I would be very into exploring this in the coming years.