2023 Film Challenge

Tools    

Definitely a different variety of challenges than it was in the last few years.

The trick is not minding
Update! 12/18!
I’m a bit behind but I expect to finish this up next week, since my job will close down after Thursday for the rest of the year. (Remodeling the warehouse/plant)

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Jabs, one last reveal before next years drops?

As I said earlier in the thread, I didn't watch anything this year with the challenge in mind, so here's a list of stuff that "accidentally" matched some of the categories. As usual, I'm stretching the rules on some of these but I won't tell if you don't.

Also answers to Jabba
I neglected to mention I finished the challenge at the beginning of the week by watching the last installment of Abel Gance's Napoleon (I split it in 3 parts). I will have a short write up on the films that stood out for me during the year soon.

Behind the Iron Curtain:

Come and See was likely the best film I've seen this year, a film about a young man who loses his innocence in the heat of war with the Nazis during World War 2 while fighting for Belarus's independence. The second best was Kanal, a story of a Polish company who face danger in every corner while trying to escape the Nazis through a series of sewers. After that, it's hard to split differences between the wacky goings on of A Chinese Odyssey Part 1 (hi, Stephen Chow!), the absurdist comedy of Balkan Spy and the more sedate film from Milos Forman about a teen facing confusion and various problems in Black Peter (AHOY!).

I Have Relied on the Lists of Strangers:

The best of these is the heartbreaking Bicycle Thieves about a man facing financial and emotional ruin when a thief steals his bicycle that he needs for a job. The Gold Rush was more emotional than I was suspecting, but it still made way for some hilarious sequences from Charlie Chaplin including a roll dance and a sequence where a miner thinks of Chaplin as a chicken. La Noire De was gripping as it showed a Senegal woman being dehumanized as she works as a maid for a French couple and watching her dreams of seeing France go down in smoke. And Nope was a good popcorn flick that also had things to say about the dangers of instant fame and going for the Oprah shot. Honestly, Beau Travail was the weakest of these but the story of a man's obsession with a new soldier in his regiment is still worth recommending.

I'm cutting it close, but I've got maybe 20 minutes of one film and one more to be done before the deadline tomorrow night.

Welcome to the human race...
Well, I pushed it right up until midnight on New Year's Eve, but I got it done.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode