What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott 66-04
"Spill The Blood of The Lamb" - Carpathian Forest
"Reaper" - Hellhammer
"Till Fjalls" - Vintersorg

John Cale's "HoboSapiens"

Now:

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott 66-04
"Hagalaz' Runedance" - Hel Goddes

My conclusion, I do not like Hagalaz' Rundance. Ewie

Dream Theater - Awake

Portishead : Dummy

Extra dope.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Saves the Day - freakish

Neutral Milk Hotel
Bukowski-Modest mouse
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

"Hey, Eazy-E, why you wear you pants like that?"

"I wear my pants like this for easy access baby."

This song cracks me up everytime.

Tacitus-
"The depressed Eurythmics."

I'll get you.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Ferris Wheel on Fire- Neutral Milk Hotel

I just finished listening to Blonde on Blonde. Now I've moved to a mix CD that I made for my class trip to New York at the end of April.
The tracks I've hit:
"Walk on the Wild Side"- Lou Reed
"Dirt Off Your Shoulder"- Jay-Z- This song is so cool, it'll make your grandma dance.

Put me in your pocket...
Four Bitchin' Babes ~ Out of the mouth of babes...Gabby Road.

I love these ladies!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
Dream Theater - Awake
Man, I used to be a massive DT fan. I popped in Awake the other day, and James LeBrie has to be the worst singer ever to have a professional career. I couldn't STAND his vocals. Erotomania is still totally sick though....as it's an instrumental. Like Queensryche at all, Blister?

Meanwhile:

Hux Flux - Lex Rex Perplex

Originally Posted by Sedai
Man, I used to be a massive DT fan. I popped in Awake the other day, and James LeBrie has to be the worst singer ever to have a professional career. I couldn't STAND his vocals. Erotomania is still totally sick though....as it's an instrumental. Like Queensryche at all, Blister?
I agree that LeBrie is a bad vocalist, but at least he doesn't sing on every track or all the way through each track, i'm into DT more for the inturmentals, can't beat John Pettrucci, John Myung and Mike Portnoy as musicians.

I haven't actually heard any of Queensryche's material, I probably should, do you have any preferences that I listen to?

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
I agree that LeBrie is a bad vocalist, but at least he doesn't sing on every track or all the way through each track, i'm into DT more for the inturmentals, can't beat John Pettrucci, John Myung and Mike Portnoy as musicians.

I haven't actually heard any of Queensryche's material, I probably should, do you have any preferences that I listen to?
Yup.

Get:

Operation : Mindcrime (remastered)
Empire (Remastered)

and although many other people tend to not like the album, as it's not as heavy, I still love:

Promised Land
(Remastered)

The remastered versions have bonus tracks and a new and better mix.....

As for DT. I agree that those cats you mentioned can play extremely well. That said, after a few years of shoving every Dream Theater track I could find down my throat, I started wondering if I was just impressed with their technical articulation, or if they actually wrote good songs. In retrospect, most of their material is insipid and overwrought, from a songwriting standpoint. JPs "pattern based" playing and Myung's attack style bass playing are impressive, but those chaps seemed to get farther and farther away from actually trying to groove with the riffs they wrote. For many years I would sit and practice shreding on my old Jackson soloist, trying to emulate these guys until at one point I started to feel like a computer, just firing off notes while my mind tried to deal with all the crazy sections coming up at light speed. I could play the stuff, but it just wasn't any fun, and I could never relax and enjoy the groove. I remember jamming on Erotomania with some friends who were Berklee grads, and everyone was just so focused on trying to master these parts, that we all eventually looked up and were like "What the hell are we doing this for?"

I think it's still possible to adhere to high technical standards, while still writing and playing good songs, that don;t come across as flare, or showing off. Maybe those guys got some grooves going, and I would like to hear the material, but all the stuff of Awake, Images and Words, and Change of Seasons just doesn;t hold up to the test of time, IMO. I got sick of their stuff and could never go back to it, and I think it's because after the novelty of their playing wears off, the songs just aren't really good.

Ok, another band for ya. Have you heard of Opeth? It's cookie monster Death Metal, but the dudes can write. I don;t care for the vocals, but if you are a person able to sort of ignore vocals and zone in on playing, these guys shouls be presented to you. Try to locate a track called Deliverence by Opeth. The track is like 15 minutes long, and has so many sick sections in it, and as a whole, is just a great song. The guy sings with a clear voice sometimes as well, and he has a great voice. I have even started to warm up to some of his growls, although overall, I am not a big fan of the cookie monster stuff....

Originally Posted by Sedai
Yup.

Get:

Operation : Mindcrime (remastered)
Empire (Remastered)

and although many other people tend to not like the album, as it's not as heavy, I still love:

Promised Land (Remastered)

The remastered versions have bonus tracks and a new and better mix.....

As for DT. I agree that those cats you mentioned can play extremely well. That said, after a few years of shoving every Dream Theater track I could find down my throat, I started wondering if I was just impressed with their technical articulation, or if they actually wrote good songs. In retrospect, most of their material is insipid and overwrought, from a songwriting standpoint. JPs "pattern based" playing and Myung's attack style bass playing are impressive, but those chaps seemed to get farther and farther away from actually trying to groove with the riffs they wrote. For many years I would sit and practice shreding on my old Jackson soloist, trying to emulate these guys until at one point I started to feel like a computer, just firing off notes while my mind tried to deal with all the crazy sections coming up at light speed. I could play the stuff, but it just wasn't any fun, and I could never relax and enjoy the groove. I remember jamming on Erotomania with some friends who were Berklee grads, and everyone was just so focused on trying to master these parts, that we all eventually looked up and were like "What the hell are we doing this for?"

I think it's still possible to adhere to high technical standards, while still writing and playing good songs, that don;t come across as flare, or showing off. Maybe those guys got some grooves going, and I would like to hear the material, but all the stuff of Awake, Images and Words, and Change of Seasons just doesn;t hold up to the test of time, IMO. I got sick of their stuff and could never go back to it, and I think it's because after the novelty of their playing wears off, the songs just aren't really good.

Ok, another band for ya. Have you heard of Opeth? It's cookie monster Death Metal, but the dudes can write. I don;t care for the vocals, but if you are a person able to sort of ignore vocals and zone in on playing, these guys shouls be presented to you. Try to locate a track called Deliverence by Opeth. The track is like 15 minutes long, and has so many sick sections in it, and as a whole, is just a great song. The guy sings with a clear voice sometimes as well, and he has a great voice. I have even started to warm up to some of his growls, although overall, I am not a big fan of the cookie monster stuff....
Thanks for the recommendations Sedai, as soon as I get money, I'll buy them.

As we agreed, the musicians of DT can play very well, but their playing does become tiresome after listening to it time after time, sure it's impressive, but are they having fun writing/playing the songs? I think that a lot of their songs are mainly for technicality boasting. A lot of my friends who like DT basically say "yeah, sure it may not sound too great, but it's really hard to play" - why listen to technical music if you don't enjoy it? I enjoy most of DT's music, but I predict that I will soon tire of it, I didn't enjoy their most recent album 'Octavarium' as such, I liked a few tracks on my first listen, but the songs just aren't special. I guess this shows that DT are beginning to lose ideas for songs, as they have done basically everything in their albums over the past 16 years. DT still have things to learn about how to create and enjoyable song for those who do not play intruments and know how technical the songs are, because why even try to play their songs if you have to fully concentrate and not enjoy yourself?

Musicians such as Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have learned to create interesting songs while remaining technical, although I prefer Satriani's music much more than Vai's just on the basis that I prefer Satriani's approach to his music, Vai tends to go all out on most of the music I have heard of his.

And to answer your other question, I have heard of Opeth, but however have not heard any of their actual music, i'll look up the album in which the track 'Deliverence' (I'm not a big fan of illegal downloading), hopefully it will be another good recommendation from you, I quite like the vocals in heavier music, as well as proper singing, I'm pretty all round with vocal talent, I have no strong preferences either way. As long as I enjoy the music, I'm happy...

Neutral Milk Hotel
Talking Shi* about a Pretty Sunset- Modest Mouse

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I Shall Be Released - Bob Dylan (live duet w/ Joan Baez)