Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Thank God I have no more musicals on my 50's watchlist, although I at least loved Singin' in the Rain.
This is to be expected. It's the only good one and, as good as it is, it doesn't make up for having to suffer all the others. I'm feeling for ya, cricket.

Srsly, great movie. It really is Thriller meets Taxi Driver
Wait! You hadn't seen Ms.45 before? I could've sworn you watched it last year. Maybe even the one before. Wow. We made a huge mistake, cos someone should've pointed you in that direction long ago. Well done, Swan.

Wait! You hadn't seen Ms.45 before? I could've sworn you watched it last year. Maybe even the one before. Wow. We made a huge mistake, cos someone should've pointed you in that direction long ago. Well done, Swan.
You might be thinking of me. You recommended it back then and I really loved it, and immediately thought Guns would like it, so recommended it to him!

It's possible. You know what my memory's like. I know I recommended it to you (and possibly cricket, too) but I thought GS had posted about it before. Anyway, he's seen it and loved it and everything is right with the world.

Dance Camp:

YouTube original movies are movies too! I think. Obviously this isn't good. A bunch of youtube musicians and entertainers got together and made a throwback to 80s high school dance movies. That's kind of how you have to look at it-a Disney Channel movie about dancing with some PG13 sex jokes in it. If you watch it like that, it's not terrible. Some of the jokes poking fun at the dance movie tropes are funny, as is the over the top "so bad it's good" villain Lance, and the dancing is well executed and choreographed. If you're interested in "YouTube's original movie named Dance Camp", it's worth watching, it's the best movie that could have possibly been made with that description. Fills it's niche adequately.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Two thousand rep needed right here.

but The Raid 2 imo is the true masterpiece and the best action flick ever made
we actually grabbed both at the library, so raid 2 is next in line and neither of us as seen this so. . .

I thought you were saying Ed is wife material at first. All sorts of gender confusion going on here today.
True

as in true I meant ed.
and here I thought I would always be a bride's maid and never the bride. . . YAY

Dead Man Walking (1995)

Thoughts posted in the 9th Hall of Fame thread.
It's so good to see someone else who likes this movie as much as I did.

The Good Dinosaur directed by Peter Sohn -

I really can't pinpoint what goes wrong with it, because there are things that I absolutely adore about it, namely its visuals. It can be really hit or miss on the quality of the cartoonish dinosaurs, but the landscape and world around them is breathtakingly beautiful. It certainly begs the question in my mind what else can we use that for. The story his all the predicted beats, and that's where it kinda falters. While I enjoyed the Arlo, his plight and the characters of others, are never really explored and just left at face value. So when it all comes to its final culmination, the emotion that I sort of felt, was kinda of ruined when your feelings towards the characters is almost nonexistent. Not to mention how horribly this fails logically as the brontosauruses somehow established themselves a solid agricultural lifestyle, despite not even having opposable thumbs. I will say, if you want to put on a movie for your kids, this'll do fine. In the end, it fails to provide an interesting moral lesson and even an arc for the character to go through.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding directed by Joel Zwick -

It's charm is undeniable, and it has the perfect amount of humor and well crafted jokes. So if you can look past how ridiculously cheesy and corny the whole thing is, you can find a movie that has a good heart and message. The characters can be overwhelming, and some jokes wear a little thin. In reality, you can't expect something great out of a movie like this, and from a technical standpoint they did a pretty good job, but most everything in that aspect is pretty standard. I'll leave it brief, because to nitpick this movie would be stupid, it's nothing special, but it's sweet and funny.

The Wild Bunch (1969) Re-watch

Whenever this comes on cable, I have to stop everything and watch it. This is my second favorite Sam Peckinpah movie, next to Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. But this is his action-packed epic, never boring for an instant, and filled with great characters. Pike Bishop (William Holden) is the leader of a gang of outlaws who are trying to make one last score by robbing a town's bank. With him are Dutch Engstrom (Ernest Borgnine), Lyle Gorch (Warren Oates) and his brother Tector Gorch (Ben Johnson), and their friend Angel (Jaime Sánchez), Aiding them, but not for long is Clarence 'Crazy' Lee (Bo Hopkins), who is left to stay and "guard" some hostages. The movie starts and ends with big shootouts, with innocent and guilty alike getting mowed down. Doing their share of the "mowing" are Deke Thornton (Robert Ryan, playing a former riding buddy of Holden's), Coffer and T.C. (Strother Martin and L.Q. Jones, playing their usual prairie trash). Along for the ride on the good guys' side is Freddie Sykes (Edmond O'Brien).

When they find they've been double-crossed by the bank, the "bunch" finds another "one last score" to pull, this time by robbing an army train of weapons and selling them to a Mexican general for gold. Not everything goes according to plan and the ending in particular is blood-soaked and action-filled. This film was decried as ultra-violent upon its release and panned by lots of critics, but compared to some of today's films, it's not as bad in the violence department. It is a classic in any case.

Cowboy (1958)

A Chicago hotel desk clerk Frank Harris (Jack Lemmon) dreams of being a cowboy on a cattle drive when a group of real cowboys settle in the hotel for a week. The boss is Tom Reese (Glenn Ford), and he enjoys sitting in his tub, drinking and shooting roaches off the wall. This only makes Harris even more determined to join the trail drivers. He strikes up a money deal with a cashless Reese to be a partner in the next drive. Though Harris was a starry-eyed dreamer of what cowboy life was like, he finds out fast that not everything is sunshine and roses. When a man is accidentally killed while out on the trail, he becomes angry when he sees the callous indifference of the men, especially Reese. Several instances further disillusion Harris, till he becomes almost as callous and hardened as Reese.

Good, solid Western that is more about the characters, although the action is fine. Lots of character actors along for the ride, including Dick York, Richard Jaeckel, Brian Donlevy , and in a small role, Strother Martin. Excellent acting and worth watching.

Grilled (2006)

Two meat salesman (Ray Romano and Kevin James) are in trouble with their boss for not being able to make many sales. So they take the addresses given to them by their boss and head out door-to-door, trying to make a killing. Things get out of hand when they go to the house of a woman (Sofia Vergara) who is busy on the phone with a seemingly suicidal friend, and who makes the moves on Romano. Getting off the phone, James excitedly reports that Vergara's friend is on the verge of suicide. So, they all jump in the car and go to her house to stop her. With the friend (Juliet Lewis) all is not as seems. Enter her mobster boyfriend (Kim Coates), who takes to James and his sales pitch. Incident after incident occurs, leading the boys to face danger and even worse, put their sales at jeopardy. That is what is truly funny about the movie---no matter what trouble they're in, they've still got their eyes on making sales.

I'm not much of a fan of Vergara, but in this movie she looks better than ever, mainly because of toned-down makeup and hair that sets lower on her head than the gigantic dos she's been wearing for years. And her acting is not too bad. Not a fan of James either but he does a great, low-key job in this. Lewis is fine and plays something she does best, a ditsy airhead. Coates is sufficiently menacing. Also adding to the fun are Burt Reynolds, Barry Newman, Michael Rapaport, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Jon Polito, and especially Ray Romano. This is the second movie I've seen him in and I'm impressed with his acting outside of sitcoms.

Care for some gopher?
Der letzte Mann The Last Laugh (Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, 1924) -

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Lobster (2015)

+

Nicely quirky, definitely unique, darkly comic, almost romantic and overall downright weird, so right up my street

Room (2015)

-

I wish the first hour of this was stretched out another 30 minutes and then the movie ended. That's not to say at all that the second half was bad. In fact, that's when it's beauty and substance really shows. It's just that the first hour totally blew me away, but it's still a really fantastic movie overall. My wife went from saying it was depressing, to saying she loved it, to falling asleep.

Dead Man Walking (1995)

Thoughts posted in the 9th Hall of Fame thread.
A favorite of mine! Very glad you like It. Both Penn and Sarandon are amazing in it