Any Computer Experts Out There?

Tools    

I have a problem with my mouse - it treats most "left" clicks like "right" clicks. (Most, but not all.)

I have to left click about 4 or 5 times to stop getting drop down menus to disappear (those that appear with right clicks).

I often can't highlight text or move slide bars with the mouse (by highlighting or putting the cursor on & clicking) because the click brings down the "right click" menus.

I've tried searching for a new driver - but the search just says I have the most appropriate, up-to-date driver.
I've tried uninstalling the mouse, shutting down the computer manually and restarting to reset the driver (as one site advised).
I've tried reversing right & left clicks in settings - then setting them back again.
I've tried unplugging the mouse, then plugging it back in again.

The frustrating thing is some of these methods have yielded temporary results... but it always seems to fail again shortly later.

The weird thing is sometimes it will just clear up on it's own and the mouse may work as it's supposed to for several days, but then it starts reverse clicking again, apparently for no reason.

Even some system updates have made it worse (like it might be working find for a couple days, then after a Windows update, it gets twonky again.)

Any ideas?

You ready? You look ready.
Welcome to the lovely, brave new world known as software as a service (SaaS). Expect more weird ass behavior like this from now on.

I don’t even know how to assist most people these days.

But @Austruck is right. Gotta rule out the mouse first. If it’s a laptop trackpad, though. Godspeed.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have a problem with my mouse - it treats most "left" clicks like "right" clicks. (Most, but not all.)

I have to left click about 4 or 5 times to stop getting drop down menus to disappear (those that appear with right clicks).

I often can't highlight text or move slide bars with the mouse (by highlighting or putting the cursor on & clicking) because the click brings down the "right click" menus.

I've tried searching for a new driver - but the search just says I have the most appropriate, up-to-date driver.
I've tried uninstalling the mouse, shutting down the computer manually and restarting to reset the driver (as one site advised).
I've tried reversing right & left clicks in settings - then setting them back again.
I've tried unplugging the mouse, then plugging it back in again.

The frustrating thing is some of these methods have yielded temporary results... but it always seems to fail again shortly later.

The weird thing is sometimes it will just clear up on it's own and the mouse may work as it's supposed to for several days, but then it starts reverse clicking again, apparently for no reason.

Even some system updates have made it worse (like it might be working find for a couple days, then after a Windows update, it gets twonky again.)

Any ideas?
Have you tried using it with another computer to see if it does the same things elsewhere? (Just trying to isolate variables...)

As Austruck said, try the mouse on a different system to make sure that it's not just a defective mouse. Also, if you have another USB port to plug it into, try a different USB port to make sure that it's not just a bad port.

If that doesn't work, try searching for an older driver for your mouse. Sometimes the newest driver is the one that caused the problem, and going back to an old driver might fix it.

You can also try cleaning the mouse, including the LED lens on the bottom, and the inside around the wheel and the buttons. Sometimes a small piece of dust can cause problems, but it's more likely to be the driver.

Like Austruck said, it might be your mouse going out. I've wore out 2 of them since joining MoFo. For me it was the left click button wore out...and a lot of the problems/frustrations that you mentioned as you try to do things with your mouse, happened to me too. I'm betting it's time to buy a new mouse.

Just wanted to thank everyone for advice about my mouse!

I think you guys hit the nail on the head as I purchased a new, very cheap mouse on Amazon and all the problems went away.

Just an interesting aside - what began to convince me it was a problem with the mouse itself (as you guys predicted) was that I discovered if I clicked the left-hand button at its very outer edge, I could get it to behave properly - but it was very uncomfortable to keep my hand in such a position and try to remember to stretch my finger to this spot.
But it did kind of indicate that the problem was probably with the spring inside the mouse (wearing out) when clicking the button at a different angle made it react differently.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to thank everyone for advice about my mouse!

I think you guys hit the nail on the head as I purchased a new, very cheap mouse on Amazon and all the problems went away.

Just an interesting aside - what began to convince me it was a problem with the mouse itself (as you guys predicted) was that I discovered if I clicked the right-hand button at its very outer edge, I could get it to behave properly - but it was very uncomfortable to keep my hand in such a position and try to remember to stretch my finger to this spot.
But it did kind of indicate that the problem was probably with the spring inside the mouse (wearing out) when clicking the button at a different angle made it react differently.

Thanks again!

I'm glad to hear that you solved the problem.

People here mentioned Windows Defender - I was never aware it existed as part of Windows 10.

So, I've been paying over $100 a year for McAfee - when my subscription runs out, would anyone recommend I just activate my Windows Defender and save some money? i.e. Is the protection just as good or, because it's basically free, it doesn't protect you from much?

It’s what we use at work (500+ machines). I think it’s the best thing Microsoft has ever done. Like it is a seriously good product considering it is free. But it’s part of their current initiative to safeguard the ecosystem, and that’s why current day widespread hacks use a third party’s security flaw to compromise Windows. The ecosystem is WAY more secure than it used to be at default settings.

There are far more nefarious things out there that Windows Defender won’t stop, but you gotta be 7th level inept to ever encounter a situation where that might happen to you. Or use highly specialized software that rarely gets updated and is designed to connect to the internet.

Just things to consider. But, if it was me, I’d save the money on the antivirus and buy a subscription to a cloud data service for your important docs. That’ll protect you from a data encryption hack far better than antivirus.

At this point in the game...you are far more likely to be hacked over the phone by someone who wants to settle the overpayment you made to the IRS. Even tho you have always been paid under the table in cash, aren’t even American, and bought your SSN in the back room of a pawnshop...you’re totally gunna want that refund bro. So you’ll give him the numbers on your debit card when he asks because he sounds like a British James Earl Jones.

Good luck on your decision. It’s a crazy world out there. 0s and 1s. They don’t know if they’re staying or going!

People here mentioned Windows Defender - I was never aware it existed as part of Windows 10.

So, I've been paying over $100 a year for McAfee - when my subscription runs out, would anyone recommend I just activate my Windows Defender and save some money? i.e. Is the protection just as good or, because it's basically free, it doesn't protect you from much?

Find out if your internet provider offers a free anti-virus program. I get McAfee for free through Spectrum.

My Darth Star is in for a service
Has your C Drive been defragged since you got it?
I'd try that first, it could take a fair old while if it is in dire need of it.
The analysis should give you an indication of whether it needs one.

I'd also recommend saving important stuff onto external drives and/or the Cloud.

I run two 1TB external Hard drives and back up onto both in case one fails.

My Darth Star is in for a service
Find out if your internet provider offers a free anti-virus program. I get McAfee for free through Spectrum.
I use Avast for anti virus protection, they also have a website checking programme and a secure programme for doing your banking and financial stuff through.

I also use Super Anti Spyware.

I'd also recommend a VPN for when you are doing personal stuf like banking.

@Captain Steel

Why you can stop paying for antivirus software

John McClane is an IT computer tech for a large company, so if McClane says Windows Defender is not only good enough BUT better than a third party product I.E. McAfee, then you can believe it. AND the above linked article says the same thing too.

Two separate testing houses, AV-comparatives and AV-test, rank Windows Defender nearly at the top of the products both labs have tested.

It’s important to note that antimalware testing is a time-intensive process. Even sites like AV-comparatives use automated tests that crawl the web and seek out malicious sites and URLs, trying to reproduce real-world scenarios that all of us would encounter in our daily work.

One key point stood out: In AV-comparatives’ test, Microsoft was one of the four vendors (out of a total of sixteen) that didn’t allow any malware to take over its test systems. Vendors whose PCs ended up compromised with malware included big names, such as McAfee and Symantec.

@Citizen Rules
@Captain Steel

Interesting side note: the reason that the paid programs performed worse than Defender is because of how Windows is built; and in order for a third party anti-virus to run properly it has to bypass a key feature of Windows UAC (user access control) to scan and monitor files. Windows out of the box already does this and, provided you don’t change it, any changes that result in major damage require you to authorize it. So it is basically paying extra money to turn off a core feature of the ecosystem and putting the machine at further risk.

@Citizen Rules
@Captain Steel

Interesting side note: the reason that the paid programs performed worse than Defender is because of how Windows is built; and in order for a third party anti-virus to run properly it has to bypass a key feature of Windows UAC (user access control) to scan and monitor files. Windows out of the box already does this and, provided you don’t change it, any changes that result in major damage require you to authorize it. So it is basically paying extra money to turn off a core feature of the ecosystem and putting the machine at further risk.
Cool. I think I'll be turning off my McAfee auto-renewal feature next year (just before my subscription runs out).

Someone told me our cable co. offers a virus protection for about $3.00 a month (much better than $100/yr.) but I think I'll just try Defender and see how it goes.

(Plus it takes about month on hold just to talk to a live person at our cable co. - that's an exaggeration, but there were incidents during the pandemic & after a minor wind storm where NJ customers reported 6 hour hold times - only to be cut off minutes after they connected to someone, having no luck whatsoever with the "call back" option, and people had their TV cable, phone & computers out for over a month after the storm - there were articles about it in the paper - the Optimum co.)

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!