The myth and irony in bankability of a star

Tools    

People seem to measure all actors on the same scale when it comes to bank-ability. But how do you account for actors like Christian Bale who choose interesting roles that do not appeal to mass audience and turn down offers that would make them more bankable ? there are actors who aren't after paycheck and are more interested in diverse roles. What do you say to an actor who turns down mad max because the lead role is very similar to an earlier role he has done in terms of acting ? how do you account that into bankability. So the conclusion is bankability is not a scale that every actor cares about.

It makes a lot more sense when you realize the term is really describing an investment, and not a person. "Bankability" does not just mean "makes money." It means "is a safe choice to make money." From that perspective, a star who has chosen not to demonstrate this isn't really better than one who's tried and failed. It's not supposed to be a term that describes what they could be if they wanted to, it's supposed to describe what they've actually done and how that projects into the future.

If your friend tells you they can fix your roof, and they've never fixed a roof, you're not saying they can't if you decide you'd rather go with someone who has more experience. Same thing here.

A system of cells interlinked
People seem to measure all actors on the same scale when it comes to bank-ability. But how do you account for actors like Christian Bale who choose interesting roles that do not appeal to mass audience and turn down offers that would make them more bankable ? there are actors who aren't after paycheck and are more interested in diverse roles. What do you say to an actor who turns down mad max because the lead role is very similar to an earlier role he has done in terms of acting ? how do you account that into bankability. So the conclusion is bankability is not a scale that every actor cares about.
I still don't buy the initial premise. Just because something "seems' to be the case, does not make it so. Plenty of people right here on the site have already stated that we don't judge actors in this manner. If this is about random comments on YouTube again, I don't think starting a new thread and changing the initial volley from anti-Leo to pro-Christian will make much of a difference in the resulting discourse. Haven't we covered all this is the Leo thread, already?

I've half a mind to lock this one down, as I don't see it inspiring much original discussion in regards to this overly flogged horse at this point. Your comment could easily be placed at the end of the Leo thread and would fit right in as far as the subject matter is concerned.

I've half a mind to lock this one down, as I don't see it inspiring much original discussion in regards to this overly flogged horse at this point. Your comment could easily be placed at the end of the Leo thread and would fit right in as far as the subject matter is concerned.
but that thread wouldn't have been visited by non Leo fanboys or defenders or apologists or admirers. Most people who visited that thread are the ones who like and admire dicaprio...there was just 1 or 2 comments by people who supported my claim.So this is much more general and not just specific to Leo...he might be referred here but I dont think it will be a big deal here. This topic is much bigger than Leo.

i used lot of adjectives..and people can fall into on of them.
Ah so you understand things like emotive words, and pissing people off while trying to engage them in conversation about your claims.

i used lot of adjectives..and people can fall into on of them.
This is a non-sequitur. The issue is about assuming they do, or dismissing them as such based on no more evidence than "they didn't agree with me about this."

There are lots of reasons to disagree with you that have nothing to do with being a fanboy. It also seems weird to throw "defenders" in there, since by definition anyone who disagrees with you is definitionally a "defender."

This is all off topic, though. Further posts on this topic will be moved to the other thread.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Who are these people, Aron? Your youtube mates? I wont subscribe to youtube so I havent met them. I certainly dont bank on actors and actresess (good grief, it sounds like you're banking on prime livestock!).but I do get you this time.

I was thinking at stupid o'clock of how much 'in the bank' Netflix must be by controlling what their members watch. My niece said her account is currently being flooded (her word) by scifi - miitarisation genre. Interesting but why I wont subscribe.

Who are these people, Aron? Your youtube mates? I wont subscribe to youtube so I havent met them. I certainly dont bank on actors and actresess (good grief, it sounds like you're banking on prime livestock!).but I do get you this time.

I was thinking at stupid o'clock of how much 'in the bank' Netflix must be by controlling what their members watch. My niece said her account is currently being flooded (her word) by scifi - miitarisation genre. Interesting but why I wont subscribe.
I must admit...I am done defending christian bale and opposing Dicaprio.....I want to be excited for a movie and when it comes out I want it to be as good as I expected it to be..f the risk taking actors. I want the movie I like to be liked by others as well...so I quit this hobby of opposing Dicaprio indefinitely. After listening happy sad confused podcast with christian bale I am done...that guy sounds like a sociopath with no interest in a successful career...try listening to his podcast and in the last bits of it he says "I like thinking what the f can i do that would end my career"..that the last straw for me ...i just can't defend a guy who is that hell bent on taking risks with no rewards.

You can shoot a piece of crap and put the video on 1000 theaters and that's a risk and it would fail miserably. I dont want that kind of disappointment supporting an actor like christian bale.

I must admit...I am done defending christian bale and opposing Dicaprio.....I want to be excited for a movie and when it comes out I want it to be as good as I expected it to be..f the risk taking actors. I want the movie I like to be liked by others as well...so I quit this hobby of opposing Dicaprio indefinitely. After listening happy sad confused podcast with christian bale I am done...that guy sounds like a sociopath with no interest in a successful career...try listening to his podcast and in the last bits of it he says "I like thinking what the f can i do that would end my career"..that the last straw for me ...i just can't defend a guy who is that hell bent on taking risks with no rewards.

You can shoot a piece of crap and put the video on 1000 theaters and that's a risk and it would fail miserably. I dont want that kind of disappointment supporting an actor like christian bale.
You seem like a really nice person to me, and so full of energy. Why do you feel the need to defend Bale and oppose Leo D? You could be outside doing things with verve, aron,something that could save animals or help people in need or as the french president said today, 'there is no planet B'.and lend your voice there to save the oceans but instead you're wasting so much energy on 2 actors who dont know you (or maybe they do for all I know).Are you handicapped in some way and stuck inside? If so, I can relate to that.

To each their own, I guess, as that just made me like him a little more, and I already like him.
I've liked him/her since the beginning as well.

You seem like a really nice person to me, and so full of energy. Why do you feel the need to defend Bale and oppose Leo D? You could be outside doing things with verve, aron,something that could save animals or help people in need or as the french president said today, 'there is no planet B'.and lend your voice there to save the oceans but instead you're wasting so much energy on 2 actors who dont know you (or maybe they do for all I know).Are you handicapped in some way and stuck inside? If so, I can relate to that.
lol....i am not..i just broke up several weeks ago because I was being unfaithful and that didnt work out either..it was miserable...and i tried to take my mind off by doing this but this isnt a therapy as well..so i dont wanna follow this.

Is there something about Christian Bale I missed?

You'll have to explain the joke.Flew straight over my head

You'll have to explain the joke.Flew straight over my head
(I was talking about liking Bale a bit more. You answered saying you liked him/her (wires crossed, I think). So I was joking if there was something about Bale I should know. )

Oh yes. Lost in translarion. Ilove Bale

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
him/her?
has he recently snipped the plums?

To the topic, risk and reward are relative. It may not reward us as a movie-going audience for him to take a risk, but if that is what excites him then that in and of itself should be enough, no? He's not obligated to me in anyway. I've enjoyed enough of his work over the years to be good with whatever he does for himself. He's worked himself into a position of some influence and power, I would imagine, to be able to take risks that reward his personal desires for whatever they may be. I mean, as long as those desires are legal.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

him/her?
has he recently snipped the plums?

To the topic, risk and reward are relative. It may not reward us as a movie-going audience for him to take a risk, but if that is what excites him then that in and of itself should be enough, no? He's not obligated to me in anyway. I've enjoyed enough of his work over the years to be good with whatever he does for himself. He's worked himself into a position of some influence and power, I would imagine, to be able to take risks that reward his personal desires for whatever they may be. I mean, as long as those desires are legal.
LOL That all got so confusing in a madhouse kinda way. I was talking about Aron, not Christina Bale, but it was stupid o'clock and I couldnt keep my eyes open. I love C. Bale as an actor, despite my feelings about method acting. I'm not sure about Christina Bale.