The Best Movies From Books

Tools    

Nope, no confusion, he bites the dust...as does Hammond. What's funny is that Malcolm returns in Crichton's second book, because most of those who read it were doing so because they enjoyed the movie, and not because they read the first book. Must have been odd for Crichton to have to revive a character he obviously killed in the first book.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Kielle
was 2001 a book? wow, you learn something new every day.

and the jack nicholson shining was stupid, i think ive mentioned that before. Steven Weber one was better, much better adaptation.
Oh my...you can't even compare a Stanley Kubrick Movie with a made for television movie and then even go as far as pick the latter as the better movie! It's herecy! The "Jack Nicholson" Shining is a legend in horror films.The made for T.V one you talk about,totally misrepresented Steven King's novel in gross perportions! Plus the child actor in that movie looked like some sort-of mutant chipmunk.The child actor in the Kubrick adaptation was so gifted and creepy...loved it.Sorry for going off there,but...jeez.Let's never talk about this again...it pains me.

Good thread.

Very few books come close to reaching the standard of its written source. When reading I project the book as a movie in my own head. I visualise the actors, the camera shots, how the dialogue is spoken. Maybe this is just me. But there is always a sense of disappointment after watching the movie version because it doesn't agree with my vision.

There is nothing worse than a director who changes massive chunks of material from its source. Jurassic Park has already been discussed. I can see Spielberg's side of the debate. To adapt Crichton's novel exactly as it was would have garnered an automatic R rating. It was much too violent. But there are too many Jurassic Park the book fans (it was a bestseller) who left the theatre disappointed. Thankfully I saw the movie before reading the book and loved it. However upon reading Jurassic Park, I felt letdown. The film could have been so much more. The Lost World - ditto. Book was far better than film.
[ By the way Dr Malcolm did die in Jurassic Park but Crichton said at the start of The Lost World that he was only declared dead ]

Another novel that has been adapted poorly for the screen is To Kill A Mockingbird. The film itself works but as an adaptation of a novel loved by millions, including me, it fell quite a bit short of the mark. The director's love wasn't present or at least it didn't come across in the film.

The only film that comes to mind that improved on its source material is American Psycho. That book is one tough read. Chapters alternate between album reviews to yuppie behaviour to the most deplorable descriptions of sado-masochism and violence ever written. Still, I liked the book, it was an original. And yet, the film version was the stronger of the two. It was much more subtle with its violence and more successful because of it.

Last Point. The book that I would dearly love to see translated to the screen is "The Catcher in the Rye". I know it's unlikely in our lifetime because of its author's reluctance but I think it would make a great watch if done right. What are your opinions on this great novel's adaptation?

Now With Moveable Parts
I think that would be great.When I read what you said about Catcher in the Rye,I immediately free associated it with the Great Gatsby...which I loved both the book and the movie.Did you ever read Cold,Sassy Tree?

Now With Moveable Parts
Cider House Rules and Simon Birch( A Prayer for Owen Meany)both by John Irving.Of course the books are better,but the movies stayed pretty true to the novels.

2001 was a book by Arthur C Clarke, one of the only times i liked the movie better than the book
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

The Godfather by Mario Puzo
Presumed innocent by Scott Turow
The Thin Red Line by james Jones

I can pretend that things last.
my list would be:
  • The Godfather (Mario Puzo)
  • One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)
  • A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)
  • 2001:A Space Oddysey (Arthur.C.Clark)
  • All the President's Men (Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein)

These are the ones that popped into my head.There are much more but no time on my hands.

Cuckoo's nest with Leonardo.. the best. i think.. and many of Stanley Kubrick's film........

Jurassic park is one of the works movies made from a book.

The book was a million times better, the movie didn't exactly suck either, so that just goes to show you how good the book was.

You may have read the book after seeing the movie so that may have clouded your judgement. Personally I read the book first and was disappointed in how much the movie changed the plot.

Only counting the movies from books I've read, but The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me.
Also, the Hunger Games, this may be a bit controversial, but I honestly thought the movies so far are slightly better than the books, mostly because she spends waay too much thinking about the love triangle.

EDIT: Oh, and I also liked The Fellowship of the Ring more in movie than book, **** the police. I am yet to read the other two, although The Hobbit is my fav (Which I thought the first one was a pretty good adaptation, and the second was okay but still prefer the book.)

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Girl With The Dragon Tatoo? Maybe not the best but its great. Have tbh, know im not supposed to but I prefer the 'Hollywood' version. Both are sick though!

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. Just reminded me of that gunna watch it now!