Films you think I NEED to see before I start building my Top 100?

Tools    

Well if we're the same person as was alleged last year we must be the same age, my dear.

The King and I is another I love.
and I have been a member long too :P

You can't win an argument just by being right!
When I went through my Peter Greenaway phase I seem to recall finding a lot of religious throwbacks eg

the halo

and a vengeful, jealous god

Not really what you're looking for, Achoo. I just like the images.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Good for you! I see you have The Sound of Music (1965) and Mary Poppins (1964). Well I won't bomard you with musicals I do have one, though I could name a 100!

Sweet Charity (1969) Vastly different than The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, it's strong on dance and directed and choreography by renown Broadway director Bob Fosse. It's probably more accessible too as a story.
Yeah, I also have Sounset Boulevard! A couple of the films on my list appeared on my Film class syllabus, so I would probably end up replacing one of those with Sweet Charity.

well 2 of my favorite musicals are older..

Brigadoon and Hans Christian Anderson

of course there are 2 from the 1970s..... Tommy and The Wall

Across the Universe is a great one.. its full of Beatles songs
Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, I also have Sounset Boulevard! A couple of the films on my list appeared on my Film class syllabus, so I would probably end up replacing one of those with Sweet Charity.
Do you mean this? Sunset Blvd. (1950)

If so that's an awesome film! And well worth watching, but not a musical at all.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
When I went through my Peter Greenaway phase I seem to recall finding a lot of religious throwbacks eg

the halo

and a vengeful, jealous god

Not really what you're looking for, Achoo. I just like the images.

Sorry. Bloody hell I posted in the wrong thread again but Luis, I recommend checking out some Greenaway. Visually spectacular. The Draughtsman's Contract and Belly of an Architect are two of my faves.

I could post these for the rest of the day at this rate

Do you mean this? Sunset Blvd. (1950)

If so that's an awesome film! And well worth watching, but not a musical at all.
Oh dang it! When I was making the list it was labeled as a musical, and it even sounded like one. Well, either way Sweet Charity sounds awesome, I'll be sure to sandwich it in somewhere.

Thanks for the advice.

Just thought to clear something out, I never said that anything pre-2000 is automatically classic. I said that I want to watch more of the films considered classics, and I also said that I haven't seen a lot of pre-2000 films. I'm aware that a release year does not the define how classic a movie is. And don't worry, I'm in no hurry to build my top 100 any time soon.

As a movie fan, I feel like it's necessary to familiarize myself with those films that shaped cinema. Citizen Kane for example, is a film that is basically a film bible, and I hadn't seen it until just 2 days ago.

Anyway, thanks again, hope you stay around for the reviews on my list above if you're curious.
The fact that you even utilized the phrase "pre-2000" says to me that working on a top 100 might be a little premature.

The fact that you even utilized the phrase "pre-2000" says to me that working on a top 100 might be a little premature.
Lol, It's kinda funny how I have people on one side telling me to just do my list however I want without caring what others think. And then on the other side we have others telling me I'm too young and stupid to build a Top 100. Again, I'm not really planning on building a Top 100 this year or even the next.

Lol, It's kinda funny how I have people on one side telling me to just do my list however I want without caring what others think. And then on the other side we have others telling me I'm too young and stupid to build a Top 100. Again, I'm not really planning on building a Top 100 this year or even the next.
A Top 100 will never be a finished thing. It's interesting to see how you evolve as a movie fan and explore new things and stuff. It's not as if this would be your definitive never changing 100 Favourite Films. Make one whenever you want then make another one when you think things have changed enough.

A Top 100 will never be a finished thing. It's interesting to see how you evolve as a movie fan and explore new things and stuff. It's not as if this would be your definitive never changing 100 Favourite Films. Make one whenever you want then make another one when you think things have changed enough.
That's one of the most reasonable answers I've gotten on here, thank you.

Weird is relative.
I'd recommend Come Drink With Me (1966) and Dragon Inn (1967), both excellent wuxia classics by director King Hu.

More recommendations of films that I enjoyed, if not necessarily classics (I tried not to repeat anything mentioned in earlier comments). In order of release year:

Sherlock Jr. (1924)
The General (1926)
Sabrina (1954)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Yojimbo (1961)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Producers (1967)
Sleeper (1973)
The Blues Brothers (1980)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
Splash (1984)
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
Love and Death (1985)
Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985)
Raising Arizona (1987)
When Harry Met Sally (1989)
Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Delicatessen (1991)
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)
Ed Wood (1994)
Before Sunrise (1995)
Waking Life (2001)
Ghost World (2001)
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Hero (2002)
Big Fish (2003)
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)
Lost in Translation (2003)
Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
Pan's Labyrinth (2007)
The Man from Earth (2007)
Atonement (2007)
The Darjeeling Limited (2007)
Juno (2007)
(500) Days of Summer (2009)
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
Moon (2009)
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (2009)
Boy (2010, by Taika Waititi)
Drive (2011)
Starry Starry Night (2011)
The Turin Horse (2012)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2012)
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
Boyhood (2014)
The Dark Horse (2014, from N.Z.)
What We Do in the Shadows (2015)
Kicks (2016)
The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale (2016)
Train to Busan (2016)
The Founder (2017)
The Sense of an Ending (2017)
Okja (2017)
Your Name (2017)

I'm still working my way through the classics as well, hence why there are more listed after the year 2000 than before.

Citizen Kane
Anything by Alfred Hitchcock
Cinema Paradiso
many of the Woody Allen films: Hannah and her Sisters, Midnight in Paris, Purple Rose of Cairo, Play it Again Sam, in particular.
Pan's labyrinth
The Godfather 1 and 2 (skip three)
Goodfellas
City Lights Charlie Chaplin
The General Buster Keaton
If you do not mind watching movies that can offend, try David Lynch, specifically Lost Highway and Blue Velvet.
Paris Texas Wim Wenders
It's a Wonderful Life /Capra
To Be or Not to Be by Ernst Lubitsch (skip Mel Brookes version)
Try out Ingmar Bergman: Winter Light, Seventh Seal, Through a Glass Darkly
Try out Fellini's 8 1/2, Nights of Cabria, and Lastrada
many, many more.

I agree with the above posts that suggest that you look at this as a process and understand your taste will evolve. I applaud that you are looking for suggestions for a starting place. I am also a personal believer that one can be entertained by movies as an art form, and a good place to Start would be a review source that you find agrees with your taste. There are dozens. Check out some of your favorite movies in several of these and find one that agrees with your taste. I used to use Halliwell, but the publisher canned it because they were not making enough profit on it. Eventually you will be making the suggestions.

Citizen Kane
Anything by Alfred Hitchcock
Cinema Paradiso
many of the Woody Allen films: Hannah and her Sisters, Midnight in Paris, Purple Rose of Cairo, Play it Again Sam, in particular.
Pan's labyrinth
The Godfather 1 and 2 (skip three)
Goodfellas
City Lights Charlie Chaplin
The General Buster Keaton
If you do not mind watching movies that can offend, try David Lynch, specifically Lost Highway and Blue Velvet.
Paris Texas Wim Wenders
It's a Wonderful Life /Capra
To Be or Not to Be by Ernst Lubitsch (skip Mel Brookes version)
Try out Ingmar Bergman: Winter Light, Seventh Seal, Through a Glass Darkly
Try out Fellini's 8 1/2, Nights of Cabria, and Lastrada
many, many more.
Thanks! Some of those I've seen. (Pan's Labyrinth is actually my favorite film of all time) and some of the others are on my list for the year. There are a couple on here that I haven't looked much into, I'll do some investigating. Thanks!

Di je Karlo?
19 Y/O here, I feel the same way. I recommend the following:

-Fight Club (1999) (this one's inevitable)
-North by Northwest (1959)
-The Hurt Locker (2009) and Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
-Terminator 1 and 2 (1984, 1991)
-E.T. the Extraterrestrial (1982)
- Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan's entire filmography, except maybe Death Proof
-Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
-Planet of the Apes (1968)
-Rise, Dawn and War for the Planet of the Apes (2011, 2014 and 2017)

And if you're interested in the historical aspect of cinema, you should also watch King Kong and The Invisible Man

The Tarkovsky movies, at least Mirror (maybe you should watch that last,) Solaris and Ivan's Childhood, which I'm on now. Mosfilm has it on Youtube. You're going to want to have two windows with the movie on, because after 38 minutes the subtitles jump 12 seconds ahead. I have a video under the other window 12 sevonds ahead for that.