Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Being Two Isn't Easy - 7/10
Nice movie from the perspective of a toddler, as well as the parents, and the little nuances of starting a family, especially with a pre-existing one.

Ryan's Daughter - 7.5/10
I'll have to check previous posting of mine on this movie, because I'm guessing the first watch was from a DVD that skipped. And then today I read there's an extra 10 minutes, and I saw the TCM, which is almost 'current'.. I thought the movie lost focus at the worst time.. Mitchum confronts Rosy, and THEN the very long beach scene that could have been cut in half, but had some great moments, with Leary - kissing the jealous girl for helping out, making her smile debut in the movie, but also the "We make speeches about 'The People' but My God" - as he's amazed that they are even better in this unity against the English. Mitchum's acting shouldn't be ignored.. One of the most virile men in Hollywood made into a cuckold. But I guess the traitors get theirs -- Ryan and Ryan's daughter, for their own selfish reasons, and how those selfish, conceited, self-centered traits can bring down a revolution, just like the USSR fell because the people wanted blue jeans (but given vodka instead - the cheapest thing there). I didn't like most of the characters, and the village idiot doesn't help. I never liked Sarah Miles, so it's nice the village gets to tear her to shreds.

By http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...TL._SS500_.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19594072

La Vie de bohème - (1992)

Rather dour stuff this, even with Aki Kaurismäki's trademark deadpan humour still swinging amongst the poverty and hopeless dreams of the artists who form the core of this film. Rodolfo (Matti Pellonpää) is a penniless painter, Marcel (André Wilms) a poet who writes absurdly long plays and Schaunard a composer whose works involve bashing piano keys while screaming "You're under arrest!" Their struggles include deportation (for Albanian Rodolfo), eviction for Marcel and a hopeless bid for the three to publish a periodical. In the meantime Rodolfo keeps crossing paths with the love of his life, Mimi (Évelyne Didi), until tragedy strikes. These bohemian stories make me feel a little flat sometimes, no matter the quality of film they're in - and this is very good, despite not quite gelling with my frame of mind right now.

6/10

Maybe the least best movie with Kaurismaki and Pellonpaa, but I still liked it. Now I'm thinking of "Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatiana" and with the same (usually) acting troupe, I probably get those mixed up. "Shadows in Paradise" and "Ariel" were more defined and easier for me to distinguish, but also my favorites of his.

Saltburn 8.5/10 - A beautifully shot movie that has some pretty messed up scenes,especially the bathtub scene . A wild ride from start to finish
Living in Oblivion 7/10 - A movie about making a movie with the legend Steve Buscemi
Next Goal Wins 6/10 - Had some amusing moments but overall a bit disappointing
Air 8/10 - A wonderful cast led by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, who also directed. The supporting cast featuring Viola Davis and Jason Bateman are great too
The bathtub scene was so gross. Gag.

Ryan's Daughter - 7.5/10
I'll have to check previous posting of mine on this movie, because I'm guessing the first watch was from a DVD that skipped. And then today I read there's an extra 10 minutes, and I saw the TCM, which is almost 'current'.. I thought the movie lost focus at the worst time.. Mitchum confronts Rosy, and THEN the very long beach scene that could have been cut in half, but had some great moments, with Leary - kissing the jealous girl for helping out, making her smile debut in the movie, but also the "We make speeches about 'The People' but My God" - as he's amazed that they are even better in this unity against the English. Mitchum's acting shouldn't be ignored.. One of the most virile men in Hollywood made into a cuckold. But I guess the traitors get theirs -- Ryan and Ryan's daughter, for their own selfish reasons, and how those selfish, conceited, self-centered traits can bring down a revolution, just like the USSR fell because the people wanted blue jeans (but given vodka instead - the cheapest thing there). I didn't like most of the characters, and the village idiot doesn't help. I never liked Sarah Miles, so it's nice the village gets to tear her to shreds.
Love this movie. Seen it many times.

Re-watch. Seen it a few times.

Not bad. Very long & slow. Lead actress very good, but have no clue why this is so acclaimed. No clue whatsoever.

Going Home - 7/10
I've seen this before, and would prefer to see something I haven't seen yet, but when it's coming on TCM, I figure I'll watch it. Mitchum is one of my favorite actors, and he's TCM's "Star of the Month".. One of a few leading men from the 40s who could still hold a movie in the 70s. Interesting guy during interviews, too.

Not of This Earth - I don't know why but I tried watching this once before and ended up turning it off after a couple of minutes. This time I stuck with it when I found out it was directed by Roger Corman. He's usually dependable even when they're his usual economy affairs. The movie opens with a teenage girl being dropped at her house after a date. Lurking in the bushes is a guy who incapacitates her in 50's low budget, sci-fi fashion, meaning she screams and falls out for no reason. The man then busies himself filling vials with what are apparently bodily fluids.

Next, an odd bird named Paul Johnson (Paul Birch) shows up at Dr. F.W. Rochelle's (William Roerick) office. He has a strange and stilted way of talking and wears unusual looking sunglasses that he never takes off. He informs Dr. Rochelle that he needs an immediate blood transfusion. The doctor refuses without first running some tests on the man's blood. The guy can apparently manipulate people's minds using telepathy and mentally coerces the doctor into helping him. He then hires his nurse Nadine (Beverley Garland) to take care of him in his home.

When I first started watching this I had it figured that Birch was a terrible actor. An Ed Wood level of crapitude. But the more I watched the more I realized he was actually nailing the role. His Paul Johnson is obviously an alien visitor and Birch never wavers from his vision of how this stranger in a strange land would conduct himself. Garland plays the requisite blonde hottie who inevitably finds herself on the precipice of danger. Seeing as how this is a Corman project there are small casting surprises sprinkled throughout. Little Shop of Horrors Jonathan Haze plays Johnson's manservant Jeremy. But it wasn't until the great Dick Miller puts in an appearance as a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman that I fully appreciated what I was watching. This should in no way be considered a classic but I tell you what, it gets the job done.

70/100

(The) Manster - Started it on the strength of that title alone and kept going because it had just enough odd little touches to make it reasonably quirky. It takes place in Japan where scientist Dr. Robert Suzuki (Tetsu Nakamura) arrives at his secluded laboratory perched atop a volcanic mountain. In his workshop is a mutated life form inside a large cage. It was apparently once a woman and Suzuki asks her where "Kenji" is. That turns out to be a furry smallish sasquatch creature that attacks the doctor who promptly shoots it and throws it in an incinerator.

Larry Stanford (Peter Dyneley) is an American foreign news correspondent and interviewing the reclusive Suzuki is his final assignment before going home to his wife in the states. Suzuki starts pumping Larry for personal information like his age (which he clearly lies about) and his health status. The good doctor obviously likes what he sees and slips Larry a Mickey Finn and injects him with his new and improved "formula". This has a sort of Jekyll and Hyde effect on him and Larry takes up with the doctor's vampish assistant Tara (Terri Zimmern). He forgets all about going home to his wife, the inexplicably fish-eyed Linda (Jane Hylton). Hylton was basically an empty canvas in most of her scenes. Dyneley gives off all kinds of Lon Chaney Jr. vibes while his metamorphosis from hotshot reporter to furry handed serial killer runs it's course. Victims pile up, the local police are baffled and it all leads to a climactic showdown at the mountaintop lab where the volcano starts erupting for no earthly reason.

I made the same mistake I always make and watched a mediocre public domain print on youtube when all the while there was a superior (and possibly colorized) version with clear sound and subtitles on Prime. Try it out it for the title and you might find yourself sticking around. Or not.

65/100

Nyad
8/10

It's the kind of movie that drives you to Google to find out if 64-year-old Diana Nyad really did successfully swim from Cuba to Florida some 30 years after her last, failed attempt. I'd certainly never heard about it. The key question that plagues Nyad (and us) throughout the movie: why. Why put yourself through that sort of torture. Why was it so important for her? I have to say I'm none the wiser and just appreciate her grit and determination. And the movie does an excellent job of presenting Nyad as a thorny and self-centered personality whose team still follows her even after all she puts them, and herself, through. Annette Benning as Nyad and Jodie Foster as her lifelong friend and manager Bonnie Stoll are just remarkable in the ease of their performances. The film itself (writing, production, etc.) is getting paltry recognition this awards season, but Benning and Foster (especially) are getting widespread, and deserved, recognition.

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

American Graffiti - 1973

Was free on youtube so I gave it a whirl. Definitely feels like it puts you in a time machine and you are transported back in time. I thought it was a unique flick. Not sure I'd jump back to rewatch it quickly...but I am thinking about it a couple days after the fact. Can't quite put my finger on it. It has a lot of personality to it. It was enjoyable. Maybe it was just an earlier coming of age film done right. See what Lucas was up to pre Star Wars lol

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=46807716

Irrational Man - (2015)

I'd already seen this but had somehow forgotten just how crazy things get when an unexpected plot turn mid-way through sends character Abe Lucas (Joaquin Phoenix) down a particularly dark path - I knew there was a reason I liked it! Emma Stone makes for the other winsome half of an enjoyable Woody Allen film about finding meaning in your life - at any price.

7.5/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1918702

Dead Reckoning - (1947)

Been meaning to check out this film noir classic for ages. Humphrey Bogart is a few decades too old to play paratrooper Capt. Warren "Rip" Murdock - especially when lined up next to buddy "Johnny Drake" (William Prince) but I was very happy to get another look at Lizabeth Scott as femme fatale Coral Chandler after seeing her in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. Okay, but just a little disappointing considering some of the other great noir films I've been watching. Bogart's speech about shrinking women to keep in a guy's pocket until they're needed was pretty bizarre - I know that misogyny might rear it's head but they went nuclear on that front. The rest is very standard - a murder rap, and a conga-line of suspects including Murdock's buddy, who joined up when he was fingered for the crime. Good enough to pass the time - but not among the first dozen I'd go to for a rewatch noir-wise. Lizbeth Scott shines though.

6/10

By The cover art can or could be obtained from Vertigo Films or IMP Awards., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28121181

The Children - (2008)

Some kind of grey goo makes the children at a Christmas celebration turn into homicidal maniacs and start killing the adults - making for uncomfortable and horrific viewing. Perfect, if that's what you're wanting. My review is here, on my watchlist thread.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The Children - (2008)

Some kind of grey goo makes the children at a Christmas celebration turn into homicidal maniacs and start killing the adults - making for uncomfortable and horrific viewing. Perfect, if that's what you're wanting. My review is here, on my watchlist thread.

6/10
I liked this one quite a bit (I rated it 8/10). It reminds me of the older Spanish film Who Could Kill a Child? (which, in turn, is very reminiscent of Romero) but just more graphic with its violence. I have a soft spot for evil children in movies, and this is one of the better ones.

Ocean's 13 (2007)

Slight step below Ocean's 11, with everything (editing, dialogue, plot) not quite as crisp as the original. Still a delightful movie for Las Vegas enthusiasts.

El Sur (1983, Victor Erice)

Having seen and loved Spirit of the Beehive, I wanted to see more Erice, so I came across this one, and wow, what a gem this is. Just an exquisitely delicate, poetic coming-of-age story, beautifully acted and directed...the cinematography is just marvelous, it's like a painting at times (like that opening shot of a room as the dawn is slowly breaking out of complete darkness..brilliant!), creating, in combination with the off screen narration, a wistful, elegiac mood of quiet reminiscence where time and memory intertwine to tell a story about the innocence of childhood, budding adolescence, family mystery and loss. SotB and El Sur share a similar vibe and similar motifs, such as fascination with cinema, children as protagonists, Spanish historical references (see also Carlos Saura's films, like Cria Cuervos), etc. Loved the ending, too - the lyricism, the understatedness of it all...just gorgeous!

Barbarian (2022)

I think this was on my watchlist because of positive word of mouth here. I knew nothing going in except that it was horror. The first 30-40 minutes were awesome even though not much was happening. The two actors were very good and there was a heavy sense of dread. From there it turned into a typical horror film, although a good one. Justin Long is great at playing a *******.
Agreed.
The turning point for me is when we actually get to see the "creature", goes downhill after that.

1st Rewatch...What begins as an exploration of the psychic connection between twins eventually dissolves into a pretentious mess. Former SNL castmates Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig play twins who are reunited after ten years when Hader's Miles attempts to commit suicide by slitting his wrists and the hospital contacts Wiig's Molly, who is about to swallow a bottle of sleeping pills when the phone rings. Despite this very promising beginning the film turns into a melodramatic mess as we learn Miles is gay and was seduced by a married teacher when he was in high school and it just goes downhill from there. Hader's brilliant performance as the tortured Miles is the only thing that keeps this movie watchable.

1st Rewatch....This is a gut-wrenching and often ugly story told against a breathtaking canvas. Director Martin McDonough mounts an emotionally-charged story about a broken friendship. Colin Farrell plays Padraic, an Irish farmer who comes to the local pub one day and learns that his best friend Colm (Brendon Gleeson) doesn't want to be his friend anymore with no explanation. The story aggravates and confuses because Colm keeps saying he doesn't want to be Padraic's friend anymore. even threatening to disfigure himself if Padraic says another word to him, but continues to get in the guy's face. This disturbing drama from last year received 10 Oscar nominations and didn't take home a single statue. Collin Farrell has never been better as the tortured Padraic, earning him a Best Actor nomination. Gleeson, Kerry Condon, and Barry Keoghan earned nominations as well. Not an easy watch, but well worth it.