Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'Bad Timing' (1980)

Really good film from Nicolas Roeg. The more I see of Roeg’s work, the more I think he maybe a master director. This is the 5th film of his that I’ve seen and one of the best.

Synopsis: “Amid the decaying elegance of cold-war Vienna, psychoanalyst Dr. Alex Linden (Art Garfunkel) becomes mired in an erotically charged affair with the elusive Milena Flaherty (Theresa Russell). When their all-consuming passion takes a life-threatening turn, Inspector Netusil (Harvey Keitel) is assigned to piece together the sordid details.”

The editing and directing from Roeg here is fascinating. Lines of dialogue appearing in the audio before they are spoken, ensuring the viewer is in the heads of the characters. Zooms and cuts that splice the different timelines in order to piece together events, and a very grimy ending. The result is a drama focusing on obsession and infatuation that moves into a chaotic erotic thriller

A really superb film.

8.3/10

The Killer - (2023)

Fenomenal soundtrack (can't really go wrong with The Smiths), but the movie itself is kinda... bland? No major plot twists, not enough Tilda Swinton, the monologue at the start didn't help either. But it's not a bad movie, not at all.

MY LIFE AS ZUCCHINI

Not much to say about this. Childhood trauma sucks

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA
Just watched. First half was damn tiring

I love exam weeks (i'm clinically insane btw)

MY LIFE AS ZUCCHINI

Not much to say about this. Childhood trauma sucks

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA
Just watched. First half was damn tiring

I love exam weeks (i'm clinically insane btw)
I absolutely LOVED My Life as a Zuicchini

3rd Rewatch...Jake Gyllenhaal was robbed of an Oscar nomination for his bone-chilling performance in this crime thriller playing a sociopath who stumbles into the world video news reporting. Rene Russo offers one of her best performances too and Riz Ahmed steals every scene he is in. The ending pisses me off, but it's pretty much flawless up to that point.

Leo (2023) Watched on Netflix. Adam Sandler is a talking 74 year old lizard in this animated musical set in a fifth grade class. I thought Adam Sandler did a good job voicing the title lizard. I'm not sure why this is a musical though or if it really needed to be, but it has enough cute moments and a few laughs to make it worthwhile. Some of the songs are pretty good, but others don't feel genuine to the characters and story. Storywise, not everything works. The overprotective drone storyline doesn't really fit and the substitute teacher's arc isn't completely effective or believable. At times, it feels like the film doesn't quite know what it wants to be or who it is aimed at, but it was entertaining enough to keep me amused. And I can't quite decide if the design of the kindergarteners was hilarious or disturbing (or both), but those kindergarteners certainly are...something.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2009/every_..._step_xlg.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=21969551

Every Little Step - (2008)

So - A Chorus Line - a show I don't (didn't) really know a hell of a lot about. Every Little Step takes you through the auditioning process for the 2006 Broadway revival. It's most interesting aspect is the way it plays clips from the original audio tape recorded by Michael Bennett, of his initial interviews with dancers when he was formulating a plan for this very show. There are segments of this tape which led straight to numbers from A Chorus Line, and it's a fascinating peek into the formulation of a famous show. The rest is exactly what you'd expect - audition after audition and nervous waits, celebrations for callbacks and tear-stained defeat for the ones not chosen. There were lots of times when I wanted to hear a song uninterrupted, but this isn't a movie that's giving us that kind of show. To win a part, you have to be both supremely talented, at your performing peak and also a little bit lucky. We do learn a lot about the show - the history behind each song and character - and that's about it. A lot of people really love this - I was in and out of it's groove but I also had so many distractions while trying to watch it. I'd also have loved to have seen the show or at least heard all of the numbers before seeing this - I'd have been more into the anecdotes about it's inception and formulation. Still, a spectacular behind the scenes blast of a documentary.

7/10

By South Park Studios - South Park Studios, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71965127

South Park : Imaginationland - (2008)

Okay, this is probably the loosest way we can use the word "movie" - Imaginationland is basically three South Park episodes put together which make up one continuous story. Oh lord, how do I describe it? The land of imagination is like a spectral place that characters can be transported to. When war erupts there, the U.S. plans on nuking it through a portal - its up to the boys to resolve the conflict before the whole place is destroyed. The B-story involves a bet between Kyle and Cartman, whereupon if Kyle loses (and he does) he has to do something horrible - so Cartman spends the whole "movie" more concerned about Kyle debasing himself and holding up his end of the bargain than what's happening in the story. Filled to the brim with famous horror characters, and just about every character you could ever think of relating to famous novels, tales, plays, fairytales, cartoons, movies etc. Trey Parker/Matt Stone are in good form here. If you like South Park, you'll like this.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

12 Angry Men

What is there to even say? Undeniable masterpiece.The screenwriting is so strong, all the characters seem so perfectly inhabited by the actors, it never feels dull even though we're confined in this one room. Just about as perfect a movie as I've ever seen, imo.

The Endless - #6 on Mike Flanagan's list of Underrated Horror Films. This one also caught my eye when it first came out six years ago. I had it in my Netflix queue for the longest time then just lost track of it.

Aaron (Aaron Moorhead) and Justin Smith (Justin Benson) are two brothers living a life of near destitution when they receive a video tape in the mail. It shows a young woman named Anna who hints at the brother's previous life with a group she still lives with. The script gets right to the point in revealing that the two are survivors of what Justin insists was a "UFO Death Cult". Aaron on the other hand has more pleasant memories of their childhood spent at the commune-like Camp Arcadia in the backwoods of Southern California. He's also fed up with their hardscrabble existence in the ten years since leaving the group and convinces Justin to go back and visit for one day. Once the brothers get there the movie gradually reveals what exactly is going on at the so called commune.

Moorhead and Benson both produced and directed while Benson wrote the script and Moorhead did the cinematography. There's a couple of characters introduced named Mike and Chris who appeared in a prequel of sorts called Resolution. Their characters did have a "lived in" sort of feel that hinted at some kind of history and their brief appearance does make me want to check out Resolution.

I think this would make a good double bill with something like Jordan Peele's Nope. And once it got particularly clever and twisty in it's second half it put me in mind of 2007's Timecrimes.

80/100
I really like the Endless, I think it's my favorite film by the duo. Resolution has some cool moments but probably not as good.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Julia Marchese, who directed the excellent documentary "Out of Print", adapted her favorite Stephen King short story into a 45-minute short film about an eccentric man who meets a college student and helps her out with both a test and consolation after the death of her boyfriend, which leads to a relationship between the two. However, he may not exactly be the knight in shining armor she longs for. Marchese sets the film in the 70s (like the King story), shot it at the University of Maine (King's alma mater), and gives it the perfect nostalgic afterschool special feel, with looks, costumes, and even her brother Peter's amazing music which fits perfectly along with great performances by leads Caroline Goldenberg and William Champion.

First Blood (1982)

I only remember snippets of the Rambo series because I haven't seen any of them since like 1988-1989. This first movie in the series is very original and well done, highly recommended. It does what Stunt Man tried to do as far as sympathizing with Vietnam vets re-entering civilian life. Makes Rocky look like a fussy baby.

10/10

1st Rewatch...This movie provides a lot of what we had come to expect from the Ferrelly Brothers...silly supporting characters, gross out humor, and overlength, but this one remains watchable thanks to the performances of Woody Harrelson and Randy Quaid as a former bowling champ and his Amish protegee. Though like I did the first time I watched it, I kept picturing Harrelson and Quaid in each other's roles. If the truth be known, the film is effortlessly stolen by Bill Murray as Ernie McCracken, one of his funniest performances.

SEVENTH MOON
(2008, Sanchez)

"This isn't just China-weird, okay? It's fu˘king just weird-weird."

Seventh Moon is set in China during this celebration, and it follows newly married couple Yul and Melissa (Tim Chiou and Amy Smart) as they are enjoying their honeymoon in his native town. However, when they are left stranded in the wilderness by their tour guide, they have to find ways to avoid the hungry beings and survive the night.

Director Eduardo Sanchez has a talent to build dread and fear through silhouettes, blurry figures, and creatures in the distance. There's a talent there in how he can make you feel on edge with just that. The notion of some impending doom approaching creeps under your skin, especially through that first act as Yul and Melissa are trying to figure out what's going on.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot