Spirited Away

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Typical Japanese low grade animation and storyline.. It's not good.
Ummmm...Low grade?
That's some of the best animation I've seen in my life! What are you talking about
Anyway I loved it! And for Miazaki fans check this awsome site out!
http://www.nausicaa.net
I love all the Miazaki films I've seen and I can't wait for Disney to release Nausicaa and the vally of the wind and Porco Rosso (see link)

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Sometimes I think you smoke crack.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Hi
I still think DBZ is good for most of the show's span. I admit the pacing is terrible and everything is really drawn out, animation is just ok, but how can you not get sucked in!?

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by CrazyforMovies
Typical!?!
I'd really be interested to hear why you think it's typical and low grade....and why it's not good. I gotta tell you, I disagree. Even if it's not your cup of tea...it's not typical.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I saw this incredible film last night for the first time and I really liked it. I don't watch much animated film, japanese or other countrywise, but I could see that this one was different from Disney's and the other elephants' films.

Even if I don't agree with Crazy that it is low grade I think I understand what she means. If you compare Spirited Away with the latest american animated features it appears to be simpler than its american counterparts. I saw something about just this on a swedish film tv program and I think the guy said something about japanese animators actually doing everything by hand and not using computers as much as in America. And this gives the films a completely higher peronal touch, and I can say that I felt that personal touch clearly when I saw Spirited Away.

About the storyline I think that perhaps some people are so used to the Hollywood narrative with clear beginning, middle and ending, a clear definition of what's good and what is evil and a spelled out moral to learn from the story. In Spirited Away we have the moral too. We get to learn lessons about greed and being compassionate and what it means to be truthfully generous, but it is given to us in a little different way. What I thought was incredibly cool was that you were never sure about who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. Some creatures who actually did some pretty awful stuff (No-Face, that obnoxious baby, the "Yubaba bird") were given a second chance and turned good in the end. I personally liked this since I am a firm believer of that no one was born evil or that no one is evil by nature. That is the impression you get by watching a lot of Hollywood productions.

I loved this film. There was so much stuff to look at, so many cool, scary, weird, cute and funny creatures and beautiful backdrops. And the story was good too, not too simple but not too complicated. Easy enough for kids to watch but engaging enough for grown ups to watch. I would really like to see more anime from Japan, a country by the way that appears to be a bit of the happening place in the film world today.

[EDIT] Oh and if you have the option of watching it in japanese with subtitles - do it. We started watching it in swedish by accident and it's like a big part of the mood was lost. And japanese sounds cool.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

i'm sorry, if this isn't good, i don't know what you would consider to be a great movie...
Low grade? what kind of Japanese anime do you watch, man?

Why am I here?
Some Japanese Anime T.V Shows could be called low grade, but I don't think any of Hiyao Miyazaki's work could be put in this category... either this person hasn't seen the film and is basing there arguments on another idiots opinion, or they are that idiot, or they may have something wrong with their eyes.

Please post examples of High Grade Japanese anime as I'm confused;

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mononoke/Image...llpaper-04.jpg

Is that low grade?

[edited to make sense]

Sic Networks

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
I didn't think the animation was lacking, I found it very catching to the eyes infact.

And maybe you think the story line didn't mesh well together but niether did alice in wonderland and we all loved that

'typical low grade'? and your user name is CrazyforMovies?
hmmm... not sure what you mean by 'typical' or 'low grade', as Japanese anime has been equal to, if not surpassing, Disney for years. I have to go along with Greppin and ask you what kind of anime have you been watching? Things have progressed since the days of Speed Racer and Leo the White Lion, unless you've been watching too much of the likes of Pokemon (but even that has some creative works).

Miyazaki has his own style but never have I seen anything 'low grade' from him. Spirited Away was 'different' in storyline but the animation is not lacking at all.

One of his best that I've recommended to quite a few people, which is definitely not lacking in storyline either is Grave of the Fireflies. If you see that and think it's 'typically low grade', then maybe you should stay away from anime completely.

Why am I here?
My Neighbor Totoro is one of my favourites, I'm looking forward to the Disney dubbed dvd.

That's a popular one. I'm with Pidz tho, I prefer the non-dubbed versions, however for little kids that can't read subtitles yet, it can't be helped.