Ashdoc's Bollywood movie reviews

→ in
Tools    

Highway---

( I wonder if it is ' inspired ' by some Hollywood movie )

Waiting to exhale---is Alia Bhatt's character ( Veera Tripathi ) in this film....

She is tired of the stuffy atmosphere of her household and of the malignant people she is supposed to call her own because they happen to be her relatives....

....So much so that she is willing to take a dangerous ride on an unsafe highway with her fiancee in the middle of the night just to breathe the fresh air....

Then the unthinkable happens---Veera is kidnapped by goons who get the jitters when they realize that she is the daughter of a powerful man....

And the responsibility of holding her is taken by one of the kidnappers ( Mahabir ) who is played by Randeep Hooda.....

But as they travel along the highway , Veera discovers a freedom that she never experienced at home....

As she and her kidnappers move from place to place Veera embarks upon a journey of self discovery and self confidence....

As Veera's astonishing naivete ( does she know that Mahabir initially had planned to sell her in a whorehouse ?? ) catches her kidnappers by surprise , it also tames them and brings out the human in them....

From being physically violent towards Veera the kidnappers change to maintaining a respectful distance from her....

And her womanly influence makes Mahabir remember his mother ; yes , a tender and loving and caring mother whose love and care and tenderness he had forgotten long ago in the midst of all the hell he went through in life as he became a criminal....

As Veera now begins to make her kidnappers dance to her tune ( and I mean that literally ), an exasperated Mahabir decides to get rid of her burden by freeing her....

But Veera has found happiness in bondage and she never wants to let go of Mahabir.....

She wants Mahabir to help her achieve her dreams---dreams of travelling on rooftop of a bus in the himalayan wind , dreams of sitting on a rock in the middle of a river watching the water gush by , dreams of climbing a snowy mountain in bitter chill , dreams of building a beautiful house on top of the mountain.....

So does Mahabir help Veera attain her dreams ??
And can they escape the police that her father has sent after them ??

Watch the movie for the answers....

Randeep Hooda plays his gangster act with menace in the beginning , and with increasing pain on his face as he realizes the hopelessness of his existence as compared with Veera's , and later with maturity as he realizes that the cultural and class differences between him and Veera are too huge to bridge . He is a man of the world , a man who has seen it all---the good the bad and the ugly , and he does not want Veera to see the ugly world....

And Alia as Veera---she displays all emotions ; naivety initially , and then increasing effervescence as her personality blooms with increasing happiness , and then warmth and understanding as Mahabir's pain becomes clear to her....

It is hard to decide who has acted better---Randeep or Alia....both deserve full marks...

But beneath Veera's naivety and effervescence and smile lies an ugly reality---an ugly reality she has experienced too early in life , an ugly reality that forms the turning point of the film as her decision not to part with her kidnappers is based on it....
What is it ?? I am not telling , and you will have to watch the film for that....

Music is good too , but you don't miss the lack of it in the first half---the film moves effortlessly even without it....

And the film gets better as it moves in the latter half to mountainous parts , for it gives the chance for the cinematographer to show some breathtaking photography----of narrow winding roads snaking through mountains covered with white snow , of streams gushing with chilled water in the deep valleys , and of Alia Bhatt looking gorgeous in ethnic clothes....

You only wish that Mahabir and Veera could have had a better chance of a life together....

Verdict---Really good .

Himmatwala ( Note---Himmatwala means courageous )

I went to watch this film for 3 solid reasons---

1) Tamannaah

2) Tamannaah

3)Tamannaah.......

.......with the emphasis on the aah......

Yes , Tamannaah.....aah....

She with the milky white body.....

She with the luminous face lit like a million moons.....

She with the thousand watt smile....

She with the beautiful light eyes....

She with the silky brown mane of hair.....

She with the soft and tender skin.....

She with the slim waist and sumptuous belly......

She with the deep navel......

She with the delicious curves and delicate body......

Her first hindi film....

.......And even before it was launched she was already inhabiting the realm of my dreams.....

Not since Dia Mirza ( my fave ) and Aishwarya Rai has a woman caught my imagination like this one has......

So inspite of all the brickbats it was getting in reviews I was drawn to this film like a moth to a flame.....

Come hell or high water I was going to see this film....

And so I did.....

And I feasted my eyes on Tammannaah---with the emphasis on the aah , remember that.....

And I returned home a fulfilled man.....

What else do you want ?? The review of the film ??

Well it consists of the ugly Ajay Devgan who has come to his friend's hometown to save the town and his friend's mother and daughter from the evil clutches of Sher Singh ( played by Mahesh Manjrekar ) who had killed his friend's father.....

And he is one true himmatwala ( courageous ).....

Can beat several people at the same time with two huge metal bells hitting them in turn....

Can fight a beast of prey......

Can lift an entire bullock cart to attack his enemies......

And is protected by the mother goddess who sends her tiger to protect him at the same time Allah protects him with his taawiz (talisman ).....

What else can one want to see.....??

Well , one wants to see some coherent storyline and good entertainment which is sadly lacking.....

The director doesn't know whether to make the film comedy or serious , acting by most actors is not great , Tamannaah's exposed thighs are fat ( but she is still my Tamannaah.....) and the item song is needlessly thrown in.....

The only good performance is some great acting by Paresh Rawal who gives some real laughs in his act as the brother in law of the evil Sher singh who marries Ajay Devgan's sister to his son in order to bring Devgan to heel.....

Rest of the film is all nonsense....

But I went home a satisfied man.....

For I had seen a movie containing the gorgeous Tamannaah.....

But you wont get such satisfaction from the film.....

.......For Tamannaah is only mine......

Verdict---Bad .

Ah Ashdoc I see you're following the fine Indian tradition of love poetry in your description of Tamannaah!
Beautiful women do awake the poet in me

Aashiquie 2 ( aashiquie means love affair )

Memories of another day.....nostalgia of the old times.....

In 1990 I had watched a film called Aashiqui having beautiful songs on my video cassette player with my school friends and dreamt of romance.....

And 23 years down the line I went back to see the second edition of the film and hoped to dream of romance again---relive those old times.....

And sure enough , Aashiqui 2 does deliver onto your expectations upto some extent bringing back as it does the simplicity of romance like it was in the old times---yeah , more than 23 years ago....

It delivers a romance that is untrammeled by the harshness of reality and by the considerations of practicality---the two lovers love each other with a utter simplicity that would make a cynic of todays times laugh with condescension.....

But many from the old times would appreciate , and an earlier generation of film critics and filmmakers would be giving approving nods from heaven.....

So whats the simplicity ??

A fading male singing star finds a sensational new singer singing in a bar and decides to make her the new star on the singing horizon.....

But why is she so young and beautiful and delicate to complicate matters ?? Wont that make him fall in love ??

And why does she return that love in equal if not greater measure ?? And that too even after becoming a singing star....?? A love that a cynical or even normal person would forget after achieving success....

And above all , why does she continue to love him even after he himself admits that he is a total and complete drunkard , and that he and his drinking would be a drag not only on her career but also on her personality and ultimately he would bring her down.....

Why ??

And why does he continue to love her even in the midst of his drinks and why does he take all the taunts and insults he has to take as failed alcoholic partner of a singing star....

Why indeed ??

Its just the simplicity of true love.....

A love they dont make anymore these days---the ingredients for making such love have long been lost and forgotten....

Ultimately one of them will have to take a very tough decision.....

But whatever that decision is and whoever makes it , its not gonna go down well with my aching heart....

So who takes the decision and what is it ??

Go and watch the movie for that.....

The movie has some good performances by Aditya Roy Kapoor as the male lead and Shakti Kapoor's daughter Shraddha as female lead....

And from where did that lecherous bozo Shakti produce such a lovely daughter ?? It must be the genes of her aunt Padamini Kolhapure and her mom Shivangi Kolhapure for sure....
.....For true to her mother's genes she plays a marathi mulgi rather than a punjabi kudi.....

Though Aditya plays a heart warming role as a person whose love never fades through thick and thin even though his health and career are on the decline and impresses as the lover who keeps his male ego in check as his career is lost even as his female partner's is on the rise, the fact remains that the viewers were finding some parts of the movie too silly and the romance overstretched---indeed the audience was sniggering during some scenes....

The new generation failed to empathise with the old world sensibility of the romance.....

Ultimately it was the fine climax which effectively silenced the sniggers.....

Its the music which makes the film a true successor to the Aashiqui of yore---for not only the music of this new edition is good but it has been effortlessly seamed into the narrative to make the film a true musical.....

Yet many may find the romance too corny and come out with only an okayish impression of the film....

Verdict---Very nice .

Inkaar ( Inkaar means denial---especially of guilt )

Sexual harassment of women---the raging topic of the day in India.....

And at the precisely right time when this topic is gaining prominence , comes the movie INKAAR....

Whether it is really sexual harassment of a woman depends on the atmosphere of the place and situation the woman is in.....

If the office the woman works in is a conservative place and the woman is a conservative woman who wears only sarees or salwar kameez , then even the slightest flirtation can be construed as sexual harassment.....

But what if the office the woman works in is a glamorous place full of free mixing of the sexes and opening drinking together and dancing and partying together and late night working together....

And what if the woman herself is a party animal who wears sexy hot exposing clothes , has slept with men before marriage and opening flirts with her colleagues---then what does construe sexual harassment of her ??

Where do you draw the thin red line ??

This is precisely the question put before Deepti Naval , a social worker brought to take a decision in a charge of sexual harassment that has been made by Chitrangada Singh on her boss Arjun Rampal.....

.....For both work in an advertising agency , a place full of free behavior between the sexes .

As Deepti sits to hear both sides of the case , the movie unfolds as a series of flashbacks in which both sides describe their view of what really was happening.....

.....And Arjun's view and Chitrangada's view of what happened in each situation is different from the other's.....

.....And both are intelligent people capable of convincing the arbitrator that only their version of the event is correct and the other's version is wrong....

But the matter is more complicated than that---for they have had an affair in the past which led to deep intimate relations....

And as if to further the complications both are now rivals in the same organisation involved in a game of one upmanship with each other.....

And it is such complications which make a movie more worth watching.....

As the events of the past unfold in front of your eyes in flashbacks , so does the story begin to grip your attention.....

But whose version is true ?? Whom to believe ?? Chitrangada or Arjun ?? The accuser or the accused ?? For both give solid reasons for their accusations on each other....

And what is the role of other persons working in the office in the story ?? And more importantly , what is their version of what really happened ?? For their testimony has an important bearing on the case as some of the events described happened before their eyes....

And who is more popular among the office personnel ?? Chits or Arjun.....
Do other women in the office have had similar experiences with Arjun , or he is well liked and indeed loved among them is he ??

For answers to these questions watch the movie....

The triumph of the director Sudhir Mishra lies in making the person who is guilty not really look like a villain in the end.....Indeed your heart does feel sympathy for that person.....

And good movies are those with good endings.....so I feel....

Verdict---well worth the money spent...

The attacks of 26/11 ( film made on a Pakistan trained jehadi attack launched from the sea on Mumbai/Bombay on 26 november 2008 )

It was a situation tailormade to be filmed by the Badshah of blood and gore---Ram Gopal Verma who else.....

Bullets flying , blood flowing freely and bodies getting smashed to pulp---Ram Gopal Verma must have been licking his lips in glee.....

No wonder he went wandering in Taj Mahal hotel ( which was the scene of a bloody battle between the terrorists and commandos ) along with the then chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh in search of a plot for his future film . All this was done in callous disregard of the fact that such a huge tragedy had just unfolded . And after the uproar over his act of going on a reconnaissance of Taj hotel for filming his film has now subsided , he does come out with the film---again in callous disregard for the uproar ; thats Ram Gopal Verma for you....

So was the reconnaissance worth it ?? Has he come out with a film that was worthy of taking the tour of Taj and getting all the criticism ?? Not really....

Of course he has shown plenty of what he excels in---dollops of murder and killing and bodies getting punched by bullets and mayhem . The terrible gleam in the terrorists eyes as they carry out cold blooded acts of mass massacre is shown in a manner befitting the master of violent films in Bollywood . Blood oozes out from both sides of heads as bullets pass through them . And the director is not afraid or too politically correct to show how religion is shown to be misused as a tool for creating terror rather than mold society . The pitilessness and remorselessness of those who train jehadis in Pakistan and those who become machines in carrying out these acts is well brought out .

However the director stops at that---after the terrorists have killed people at CST train terminus and Taj hotel and Cama hospital , the film suddenly changes focus . The main focus then shifts to Kasab---the inhuman face of the whole event .

Yes , martyred constable Tukaram Ombale does receive his moment in the sun---how he captured Kasab is shown . But what about the NSG commandos like Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan ?? In fact , the fighting at Chabad house and at Trident hotel along with the bravery of NSG commandos is not shown at all.....

Is it because the director does not have the ability to show a military operation like the flushing out of the terrorists by NSG commandos ??

Or is it that he was short of funds and the budget of the film did not have the capacity to fund the showing of the whole bloody fighting ??

Or is it that the director wanted to spare us more doses of death ?? Now knowing RGV thats hardly possible is it....

But whatever the reason is , we get to see an incomplete version of what happened .

Instead , we get to see Kasab describing his point of view---how he was brainwashed into becoming a killing machine by all the fears of hellfire and promises of virgins and milk in paradise given by his trainers . One good point is that the actor playing Kasab looks uncannily like the real man and acts well in his role .

But then the joint commissioner then goes into a lengthy explanation of how these acts are unislamic and against what the prophet of Islam taught etc etc . In short , it becomes all talk and no action .

Of course , all this is to be expected from hindi films which are usually notoriously tardy in showing military operations with precision and deliver heavy only on the emotionalism part . Hindi film directors simply lack the technical finesse to show commando operations .

At the end I felt that the definitive film on 26/11 is yet to come . When it does , it should not waste its time in discussing as to how the acts of terror are to be juxtaposed with what religions say about them but should show the whole fighting in clinical precision . But knowing Bollywood's lack of expertise in this field , it will be a long wait....

Verdict---okay .

The iconic Taj Mahal hotel ( a favourite of westerners ) goes up in flames in the actual attack

Rangrezz---

I went to see this film because from the promos I gathered that it touches a topic that is important to young people ; a topic that was always on the mind when I was in the twenties---that of parental opposition to marriage between two young people who decide to marry , and elopement as a solution to this problem .

And what if the parents are powerful people who can bring enormous resources to bear against such elopement ?? What does the couple do then ??

The pundits of the art of elopement ( yeah ,there are pundits in every field ) say that in such cases the couple in question has to have three Ms---money power , muscle power and manpower.....

.....And all three come only if you have loyal friends....friends who are ready to take the risk of fighting and getting injured if a physical battle occurs , friends who are ready to risk police trouble if it comes to that , friends who are as steady as a rock....

Rishi is such a friend.....

So when his friend comes from Lalitpur to Mumbai to ask for help to get his girlfriend to him against both parents' opposition , Rishi is ever ready.....

And help comes from Rishi's bosom buddies who are ready to risk life and limb help a couple in love.....

Trouble is---Rishi is Rangrezz....or at least the director behind the creation of Rishi's character is.....

So what does Rangrezz mean ??

Google search revealed only that it means a person who dyes clothes---that is , gives colour ( rang ) to clothes.....

But if you see the film you feel that rangrezz means someone whose approach to the question of elopement has the fanaticism of a desperado.....

And Rishi is certainly one such person....

As the elopement unfolds in front of your eyes you feel that you see a bunch of ' love fanatics ' in action.....

Nothing will stop them from running away with the girl---yeah nothing....
No obstacle is too great.....

Big metal pipes are used to hit them till one of them becomes deaf due to the blows , a truck runs over the leg of another one of them , and goons are sent to kill another's grandmother......
Yet behold the chutzpah of our young heroes---they still elope with the girl.....

The sequence of the elopement forms a visually spectacular treat and is the high point of the film....
Full marks to the director and above all to the cinematographer for filming this brilliantly......

The actors playing Rishi and his friends act well and inject real zest and madness in their roles....

But at the end of all this comes betrayal---a betrayal that hits like a cold shower in the hot steam of true friendship....

So who betrays whom ???

Go and watch the film for that.....

At the end you feel that the whole concept of friends going to any length to help out the lover couple is a bit overdone.....
It is unlikely to get friends who make such sacrifices in real life , and the whole thing is unrealistic....

And as the film nears its climax , it becomes disappointing.....

Of course , it is a ' different ' film , one with its own unique take on love and elopement---you have to give that to the director.....

But it offers a grim lesson to those who want to help people in love....
....And the method of teaching this lesson was not to my liking.....

Above all , its a film that is disappointing for those who believe in true love---like I do....

Verdict---Some people may like it but I didnt ; to each his own.....

Cocktail ( Indian movie , not the Tom Cruise one )

Is there justice in the world ????

The answer is no......
At least not for women in India.....
And certainly not for women who cross the limit in sexual relations with men outside marriage....or rather before it.....

Deepika Padukone has to learn this lesson the hard way.....

She is the original wild child , a girl as free as the wind---who openly sashays in revealing clothes , sizzles in red bikinis and changes boyfriends at the drop of a hat.....only after she has tried them and tired them out in the bedroom.....

While we pray at temples , her temple is the discotheque where she is the diva who brings zing and life to the dance floor.....
And the offerings she receives at this temple is the bottle of liquor which also fills up her refrigerator so much so that it is difficult to find even a glassful of milk there.....

But she has heart of gold , really.....

Otherwise who would give asylum to a poor benighted girl who has come from India to the US only to be told by her so-called ' husband ' that he has married her only for her dowry and now its time to kick her out ??
Coming to this so-called ' husband ' , one wonders what a fool he is to marry a girl like Diana Penty only for her dowry.....
.....For she's the perfect wife material---fair , delicate , pure---the type of girl one takes to your mother.....
In fact instead of taking dowry , I would have PAID dowry for getting her like the muslims do as meher

But after being dumped , Diana is given a home to live in by warm hearted Deepika.....

But little does Deepika know that her life is going to undergo a cataclysm due to this....

For through Diana she comes into contact with Saif who is exactly like her---a philanderer who moves from girl to girl and as Deepika confesses after he starts bedding her , is hot in bed.....

This first half is thoroughly enjoyable with wisely cracked jokes permeating the atmosphere---and adding to the fun is Boman Irani and Dimple Kapadia who play Saif's uncle and mom respectively.....

But the movie turns serious in the second half due to a predictible twist---its time for all to get mushy and fall in love.....

So Saif and Diana fall in love with each other , but there's a spanner in their works.....Deepika the sexy bad bitch has fallen in love too , and to who else but to Saif.....

But to again ask---is there justice in the world , and if there is then is it there for women.....?

Consider this---the director has no problem with making Diana fall in love with Saif who is a notorious womaniser who sleeps with woman after woman......
......But he has a problem with making Saif fall in love with Deepika who is exactly like him in all ways....
No no no no , not exactly like him ashdoc , have you forgotten the teeny weeny fact that she is a woman.....
And that fact makes a helluva lot of difference to the world's perception of her philandering ( thats called being used by men ) and Saif's philandering ( thats called being James Bond ).

And so the director settles for a disappointingly conventional ending.....

So you know who gets whom....and who is left high and dry in the end.....

Maybe as consolation the director gives the acting honors to Deepika who perfectly shows the pain of feeling used and abused and gives free vent to her feelings of jealousy like a woman scorned.....

Verdict---I must confess its a good watch.....

Dehradun diary---

Dehradun---at the foothills of the mighty Himalayas.....

Where the majestic mountains meet the evergreen plains.....

Where the cool breeze of the misty mountains separating India from Tibet mingles with the heat of the broad subcontinent.....

Where the sprawling and leafy campuses of beautiful colleges brim with the excitement of youth......

A place where romance does not need to blossom---it just happens to you....

So is it such a surprise that it is here that a young man and a young woman decide to fall in love.....

A love that is as pure as the water from the brooks that spring when the ice melts in the nearby snowy mountains.....

A love that has the blessings of the boys parents---for who in his sane mind would begrudge a fine young couple their chance to live life together ?.....

Alas !! But the pure love that springs from the cool winds that flow from the misty mountains ultimately has to meet the heat and dust of the plains.....

And the heat and the dust of the sweltering plains brings with it hate and barbarism....

For the girl's father is a politician---and as politicians go , he's a mean and dirty one.....

But his sons who are the girl's brothers are even worse---hooligans and murderers to boot.....

And they frown upon this romance with a hatred that can come only from illiteracy and backwardness and crudeness.....

For the differences between the boy's family and the politician's family are too great to breach....

While the boy belongs to a cultured family with a good reputation , the girl's family is rough and mean and full of killers.....

And is it a sign of our times that it is the rude and uncivilized family of the girl that has the moolah that the boy's family just cannot match......

Angry at the blooming romance the girl's inhuman brothers kill the bright young man in a fit of rage one night.....an honor killing.....

Cut to real life------

When I heard of the story of the film I decided to go and watch it for one reason---it sounds suspiciously similar to the story of Nitish Katara , the young man alleged to have been killed by sons of infamous UP politician-gangster D P Yadav for daring to romance their sister .

And when the killers are from such a powerful family , do I even need to say that bringing them to justice is not a task for the fainthearted.....

.......For they can bring their powerful resources to bear and make each and every witness to the killing change his words in court---including the young woman too.....

And when the woman in love abandons the task of bringing to justice the killers of the man she loved , the idea of convicting her brothers seems beyond possible.....

......For no one in town can dare go against the power of the young woman's powerful father and point out the young man's murderers to the court.....

Its left to the young man's brother to undertake the mammoth task of unmasking the truth before the judge---and he gets help from a gallant lawyer and honest witness to try this.....

But not so easy !!!

The young woman will have to admit her love for the young man before everyone to set in course the wheels of justice.....

So does she do that ??

In real life D P Yadav's daughter refused to admit the truth , thus protecting her brothers.....

So do we see justice delivered at least in a goddamm movie ???!!!! Or are we supposed to wallow in the mire of the injustice of reality ???!!!

Watch the film for that.....

The film does show how difficult it is for ordinary people to get a fair verdict when faced with the corrupt and the high and the mighty.....

And the helplessness of the common man does provide some moving scenes.....

No hero comes to deliver them from the oppression of tyranny.....

And for the media its just a show to get sound bytes and video footage.....

Ultimately its upto the power of the people.....

The film has some good music to rhyme with the tragic theme of the film.....

But frankly , the good music failed to lift me out of my sadness---the sadness that came with the coming to terms with the harsh reality of real life.....

And when a film has such a effect on you , it means it does work....

Verdict---Watchable .

Paan Singh Tomar ( story of a real life dacoit in India )

When Alexander the great was campaigning in outlaw country , he wrote to his mother---'' I am in the region of leonine ( lionlike ) people . You are justly proud to have given birth to me , but out here every man is an Alexander !! ''

......Welcome to the myth and the legend of the outlaw.....

But behind the myth , lies the reality.....

.....A reality of sleepless nights spent in fear of the police , of moving from place to place for shelter like a hunted animal , of unshed tears yearning for the company of loved ones left behind in towns and villages , of the danger of being betrayed by your own people at every turn , of bullets killing one by one of your gang and of days living without food or water.....

But there are proud moments too---of your son's marriage getting fixed and you asking your son as to whether your reputation as an outlaw didnt deter the girl's parents ; and the son's proud answer , '' Dad , it was YOUR reputation that attracted the girl's family......''

Welcome to the ravines of the Chambal---where dacoits proudly call themselves REBELS and say that the real dacoits are the ones who sit in the parliament

......And where you are proud of your uncle and others in your family being rebels and outlaws ( sshh.....dont call them dacoits ) and boast of the respect they have in their villages because of their feared deeds.....

In such a family is born Paan Singh Tomar.....

But he wants to serve the country---and spends some of the best moments of his life in the armed forces.....

Its a time when his sporting talents are discovered , and he brings medals for the country from foreign lands......
.....And comes back to oh-so-brief but secret rendezvous for romance with his waiting wife.....

And its a time of shortlived glory---of female fans in Japan saying ' I love you ' and making his wife deliciously jealous......
......And a time of Paan Singh being deemed too precious an athlete to be sent to war.....

This is also the most enjoyable part of the film---for it shows army life with all its glory and discipline....

But its like a dream that will come to an end......

Because ultimately Paan Singh has to return to the ravines of the Chambal.....
.....And those ravines---they have rules of their own......

Those rules consist of endless blood feuds with your own relatives that ultimately lead him to become a rebel---nothing but a glorified dacoit actually.....

And there are no dramatic charges on horses by these dacoits waving guns like they showed in the english western films....
In fact ,there are no horses at all.....

Instead , its the hard grind of moving from cover to cover on foot saving every bullet , and dodging death at every second.....

.....And ultimately dying a dogs death.....

Its to actor Irfan Khan's credit that he brings this dog....err dacoit to life by a splendid show of acting.....

And three cheers to the director too....
.....For he genuinely gets you to sympathise with the outlaws.....an achievement in itself .

One wonders if Alexander the great was watching this film when said his memorable words.....

Verdict---good .

Interesting reviews. I have only watched a half dozen Indian films in my lifetime so I still remain completely ignorant of Indian cinema. What movies would you recommend?
of recent movies i would recommend---

talaash ,

kahani ,

dhoom 3

How about Indian science fiction movies?
indian science fiction movies are technically inferior to hollywood . if you are used to seeing hollywood cinema then you wont find them interesting .

Most science fiction I have watched is anime, made on a budget of 1% of Hollywood movies. I don't care much about special effects as long as they are passable (the best science fiction films Hollywood made are all 30 years old with completely dated special effects by modern standards).

Most science fiction I have watched is anime, made on a budget of 1% of Hollywood movies. I don't care much about special effects as long as they are passable (the best science fiction films Hollywood made are all 30 years old with completely dated special effects by modern standards).
ok , i will search for indian science fiction movies . i cant remember any recent ones .

will take a few days to find out .

All right. Thanks for your efforts.

Indian cinema is the world's largest and simultaneously appears to be the most inaccessible to western film critics and buffs. Very few Indian films are watched here for example, while the much smaller and less significant Korean and Taiwanese film industries are quite beloved here by the arthouse fans.

ok , i remember---' krishh 3 ' is a science fiction movie recently released .