All of Us Strangers

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Not so much a review as a discussion thread, although my review is here:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...strangers.html

All of Us Strangers was an incredible film and it has lingered in my mind ever since I watched it.

One thing that I keep thinking about is the ending. Major spoilers, obviously.

WARNING: spoilers below
Is Adam dead too? Are they all dead? Some signs seem to point to it... his illness, his appearance in the final scene, the unlikelihood of him living in this building alone, the way he never seems to interact with anyone else.

I can't decide whether it would be sadder if he is dead, and he goes through all of that only to be dead too, or if he's alive but all alone again.

I’ve been waiting for a thread on this. Seen it on Sunday I think and been thinking about it ever since.
I think only Harry and Adam’s parents are dead and I didn’t like that bit at all, very Shyamalan/gimmicky imo
. That aside, the film is gorgeous and heartbreaking and definitely lingers. As a perpetually single person, it has stuck with me in not-so-good ways, heh.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I’ve been waiting for a thread on this. Seen it on Sunday I think and been thinking about it ever since.
I think only Harry and Adam’s parents are dead and I didn’t like that bit at all, very Shyamalan/gimmicky imo
. That aside, the film is gorgeous and heartbreaking and definitely lingers. As a perpetually single person, it has stuck with me in not-so-good ways, heh.

Yes, there were definitely Sixth Sense vibes...

I think one of the great things about it is that there are so many ways to identify with it. I was a child in the 80s and I found the 80s nostalgia hit me so hard. The clothes and the haircuts were just those my parents or Aunts and Uncles would have had. But also as someone who has lost a parent and as a parent myself, those conversations between Adam and his parents really resonated.

I loved that it wasn't about blaming his parents, that he is able to see them as real people with flaws but with love, just as they are able to see him as a person rather than as a child. The way they both talk about their own parents as well, you can imagine it going all the way back.

Yes, there were definitely Sixth Sense vibes...

I think one of the great things about it is that there are so many ways to identify with it. I was a child in the 80s and I found the 80s nostalgia hit me so hard. The clothes and the haircuts were just those my parents or Aunts and Uncles would have had. But also as someone who has lost a parent and as a parent myself, those conversations between Adam and his parents really resonated.

I loved that it wasn't about blaming his parents, that he is able to see them as real people with flaws but with love, just as they are able to see him as a person rather than as a child. The way they both talk about their own parents as well, you can imagine it going all the way back.
I concur, the not-blaming-the-parents side of it is quite refreshing. Then again, I never really understood blaming the parents.

It's now streaming on Hulu or Disney+, depending on your country. I watched it today. Honestly, this fell a little flat for me. Performances are good, but the story didn't hit me the way it seemed to for some other viewers. It's fine, but I was expecting more.

It's now streaming on Hulu or Disney+, depending on your country. I watched it today. Honestly, this fell a little flat for me. Performances are good, but the story didn't hit me the way it seemed to for some other viewers. It's fine, but I was expecting more.
Sorry you didn't like this movie, I loved it.

To me, it just seemed blatantly manipulative.