Movies that get to you

Tools    

People Need To Re-Read **** Twice on Here
when i mean get to you , i mean piss me off. only little things like scenes where they do things that wouldnt happen irl. for example in the expandables , sylvestar is getting a tattoo and when its done he puts his shirt back on straight away without it getting covered.. that wouldnt happen irl LOL.. i know its only small **** but it happens in heaps of movies

anyone else at all feel the same way.

"There's No F***ing Ice Cream In Your F***ing Future"

Some Good ones

Armageddon
Factual error: After crashing on the asteroid, A.J. walks outside surveying the wreckage while debris is strewn out burning on the ground. This is wrong, as oxygen is needed to make something burn, and there is no oxygen on the asteroid.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Just as Jack says, "On deck, you scabrous dogs," to the very left edge of the screen over Jack's shoulder is a grip crew member with a tan cowboy hat, white short sleeve tee shirt and sunglasses, just standing there looking out to sea.

The Matrix
When Agent Smith is interrogating Neo, after Smith has sealed Neo's mouth shut and he is backed into the corner, when the camera cuts back to Smith you can clearly see a reflection in his glasses of Neo still sitting down in the chair.

------

Edit: sorry, I've sort of miss understood the topic. I leave these up, but I suppose these mistakes don't actually anger me.

People Need To Re-Read **** Twice on Here
yer these type of things. are what kind piss me off. not that it ruins the movie completly.
but when u see these things do you just forget about it?

Many might disagree here.. But in Unforgiven the ending scene is a bit weak.
The whole movie, Muny is a weak aging character, then he walks in this place to shoot Little Bill.. He starts shooting everyone, his aim has got a lot better & also he doesn't even get shot once..

I could be wrong here... But I feel so.
Still, a great movie.

The title of the thread is a bit misleading, but either way..

The end of Scott Pilgrim: All the characters did/said things their characters wouldn't do/say, and it basically felt like a completely rushed write-up draft just to finish the movie on a happy, PC note.

I personally cant stand innacurate accents in films, take The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas for example, the family are all suposed to be born and bred in Germany, and yet they have normal English accents without even a hint of German in them. They should be speaking German anyway I have no idea why they speak English in the first place.

I hate the Pirates of the Carribean trilogy coz besides the characters of Jack Sparrow, Barbossa & Davy Jones... the movies are full of trash, the plot is lame...

I only enjoy these movies coz of the 3 characters I mentioned above..

The Resident Evil films because they had a great base to work from and I am a HUGE fan of the games, particularly the earlier more atmospheric titles.

I personally cant stand innacurate accents in films, take The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas for example, the family are all suposed to be born and bred in Germany, and yet they have normal English accents without even a hint of German in them. They should be speaking German anyway I have no idea why they speak English in the first place.
well, that's not a film with inaccurate accents is it? It's a film set in Germany and played for an English speaking audience. To have people speaking with a cod-German accent is one way of doing it, them speaking German with subtitles throughout the film is another way of doing it - but why would you bother when they're using English speaking actors? I thought it was an ok film but one of the things that did make it work was the cut glass English accents of the German family which placed them in a certain class .

For horrible out of place accents look at Don Cheadle in Oceans 11!

I felt the same way about The Prince of Persia movie...
i have played the game, & they have an epic storyline... & they had to dumb it down into a silly popcorn plot..

There are so many elements that could have been used from the game...

Yes. This needs to stop. It's really offputting to have "serious" films like Schindler's List do this English translation stuff. It's a joke and an obvious and blatant fallacy that is omnipresent. I know justifications about loosing a "distanciation" from the characters through subtitles, but this is bull. I know from experience that when you really get into the subtitles you literally HEAR the characters speaking IN the subtitles afterwards when trying to recall. You can literally hear their voice saying it IN English. The mind can pull it off, folks.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The novel Schindler's List was based on was written in English. The filmmakers, scripter and most of the lead actors' first language was English. For some "cinematic reality" sake, you thought the film was "fake" because it was shot in English? Did you ever watch that godawful Godard flick (In Praise of Love) where he bashed Spielberg with a load of hornswoggle over Schindler's List?

The novel Schindler's List was based on was written in English. The filmmakers, scripter and most of the lead actors' first language was English. For some "cinematic reality" sake, you thought the film was "fake" because it was shot in English? Did you ever watch that godawful Godard flick (In Praise of Love) where he bashed Spielberg with a load of hornswoggle over Schindler's List?
I didn't finish the film no. YOU discouraged me enough to not force myself through it. It was very boring and nonsensical. Of course their first language was in English. What's the point here with the nature of the filmmakers? I think precedents have been set where foreigners are directed by foreigners. Jarmusch had an interesting experience doing it in his Night on Earth. With acting, it is possible. Also, Soderbergh's first language is English, and he made Che almost entirely in Spanish. I felt absolutely no distanciation with the characters in either of those cases. Why not hire some German actors and just get on with it? It's not as if Spielberg couldn't have first taken some elementary German (easy language from English to learn) or hired a really good translator. Yes, I do believe that it only makes the film a truer work of reality. It's not an impressionist film, by any means, even barring the "forced" b&w/red dress. There's no need to reinterpret through an English lens.

How can you deny the film was "fake" because it was shot in English though? It is obviously a fake.

PN how can you say these things? what about books? can we not write about Japan without it being in Japanese? You know I have a deep love of films made in other countries but if a film is made about Germany but they speak English I'd prefer they spoke English rather than English with a ridiculous German accent.

ps Is distanciation a real word?

I've seen the word used many times. Plus, anything's a real word in academia.

It's not about Germany though. It's not a documentary about Schindler. It's a "literal" depiction of Germany in the 1940s. The people are "supposed to be" German. Yet it is so clear that they are not. If I showed this film to a kid who doesn't know about Hitler yet, they'd think Germans spoke English. It's factually incorrect on a pervasive level for sheer accessibility. This kind of thing is totally unnecessary, since Spielberg could obviously afford for it to not have happened.

I see it akin to the common criticism of casting white actors in Asian/Black roles.

I see it akin to the common criticism of casting white actors in Asian/Black roles.
really? hmm. So no Americans as English and no English people playing Americans? you have it down so hard?

That's just ridiculous.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

No white guys playing black guys either, that's just plain silly.