Grand Theft Auto V

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ok, buyer's remorse averted. I'm totally loving first-person now

With occasional breaks for stunt cams o'course...

I lost myself just cycling round the city and taking in the changing environment today - stunting off it, getting involved in random events, and having a lot of fun fleeing the ensuing mess

It's actually helping having the main story back in the picture too. It's cool to have a shifting backdrop to my casual chaos again, and when I want a slalom of high-pressure events they're there. With the extra challenge and 'street level' vibe that first person brings, it's all new again . I'm almost literally never out of that view now.

Even the sore points of the torture scene and the stevedore slog couldn't snuff out the fun today. And on new discoveries, I found out that Trevor simply must shop at Binco...

Okayy, I'd say it's definitely been modded now...

(Skip to 7.18 for definitive proof)

Looks pretty damn comprehensive! And apparently there's more to come. Will def look into this once it's time for a last blast. Seems to be proofed against online use too, so hopefully no ban hammer. That'd be a bummer.

Aww what, I hate random item collection as a rule, but this almost has me tempted. Had no idea chop could hunt them down for you...

I seem to remember discovering he would come for a ride in the car, but that was it. Think I might have to take him for a cruise. And see if he chases cats

These screenies may not look that slick, but whipping along at 45fps in first person it's all feeling pretty classy still ...

Enjoying the big mission payoffs, and some of the better dialogue sparring, even without the element of surprise. Familiarity is also helping me dodge the more egregiously grindy side-quests etc.

Not sure if I'll unlock the whole single-player story again, or just delve into cheaty-mods for full unfettered sandboxery

Welcome to the human race...
Boy, that one part of the Scientology side-quest where you had to run around in a certain area of the desert for ages (and would reset your progress if you so much as leaned out of the designated area)...that was not pleasant. Hell, most of the side-quests are annoying in one way or another.

Is that the one where you have to donate at the start? I was a tightwad and didn't even go there . Sounds like it's on the trollish end of the scale for sure tho!

Yeah most of them are more about the characters than the gameplay really. I kinda liked the hunting one for Trevor as something different - I've mainly been trying to stick to ones like that which open up new stuff on the map for later rampages. Trying to find annoying stunt guy now . Always find having extra helicopters around the place handy

I've done a few of the random pick up ones too. They're essentially GTA's version of a fetch quest (the 'deliver quest') but I kinda like how they fill out the world, personalising a gang or a cult or whatever a bit more. I'm pretty sure I've taken people who've ended up being on call-in shows and stuff too. Love that kinda overlap.

Yeah, that's the one. You have to put in a lot of cash and run around a lot, plus you have to at least save before it starts the final part because UNTAGGED SPOILERS if you make the wrong choice then you basically end up losing money, however if you do the right thing then you wind up with a profit, though if you're at the point where you don't need more money then it doesn't matter. The random pick-ups were a nice little touch, I suppose, especially the ones that had rewards.

Also, there's all the damn collectable quests. I think the only one I really stuck out ended up being the one where you collect the fragments of a letter. Some others I started but never finished, such as the one involving cleaning up toxic waste barrels using the mini-sub. Combining a collectable quest with one massive water level is pretty high on the tedium scale.

Don't even get me started on how hard that golf mini-game could be...

Hah yeah, sod the submarine one, def not buying that property again! (Although the submarine itself has been more fun to mess about in with first person - especially with all the extra dolphins whizzing about )

The collectibles can also sod off. But then they always can . I've had a little play with getting Chop to track some down just to see how that works, which was a genteel way of exploring some nooks and upping my stamina. Had to grind the bleeding app first to unlock it tho

I'm sorta intrigued to see what the grafitti-trail of noir clues is like for Michael that they've added. The letter collectible looked like it might be interesting, but tracking down 50 random placements is just silly.

And... there's a golf side quest? I've played a few rounds, and found it pretty solid as a game (but now I've found there's no FP version of it or tennis I'm not going back )

Def gonna pick up the odd extra random, if only for the occasional crew members you get. Picked up a solid/cheaper hacker that way once. (Altho come end game it's cheats away for infinite cash )

The People's Republic of Clogher
The guy making these videos doesn't have a stellar PC.

Me? Can't be bothered playing it.

Hah yeah, sod the submarine one, def not buying that property again! (Although the submarine itself has been more fun to mess about in with first person - especially with all the extra dolphins whizzing about )

The collectibles can also sod off. But then they always can . I've had a little play with getting Chop to track some down just to see how that works, which was a genteel way of exploring some nooks and upping my stamina. Had to grind the bleeding app first to unlock it tho

I'm sorta intrigued to see what the grafitti-trail of noir clues is like for Michael that they've added. The letter collectible looked like it might be interesting, but tracking down 50 random placements is just silly.

And... there's a golf side quest? I've played a few rounds, and found it pretty solid as a game (but now I've found there's no FP version of it or tennis I'm not going back )

Def gonna pick up the odd extra random, if only for the occasional crew members you get. Picked up a solid/cheaper hacker that way once. (Altho come end game it's cheats away for infinite cash )
Is the "graffiti-trail" a new thing in the updated game or was it already in the base game? I can't recall anything like it, but it has been a while.The letter quest did have a worthwhile enough pay-off - not necessarily a material one, but that certain kind of satisfaction with getting rid of a real bastard of a character.

Nah, there's no golf side-quest, I did refer to it as a mini-game. I read that beating the hardest competitor counts towards the 100% completion achievement, which I was serious about beating at one point but not anymore.

In any case, I don't see myself replaying this at any point in the future. It's weird because I had no problem replaying III, Vice City or even San Andreas, but the idea of starting up either IV or V again doesn't sound too appealing. I guess it's because I think I've got other games to finish instead.

Yeah graffiti trail is one of the new little add ons.

I wouldn't mind going for the alien artifacts or something if I knew there was a good pay off (but I checked and it's just a daft car. I've got enough of those )

Yeah without this new I'm-in-Michael's-Face perspective I def wouldn't be revisiting the story. Before my Xbox died I was just dropping in for occasional carnage and cop-dodging.

I am def gonna check out some mods now I've got that option. The latest one to make it over is a 'play as the cops one', which does look intriguing. (Even if the community seem mighty geeky )

The guy making these videos doesn't have a stellar PC.

---

Me? Can't be bothered playing it.
It's more stellar than mine dammit

---

What's the turn off? Mission grind? Cartoony car handling? Eurotruck-level journey times?

Although the overall story arc is nothing special it is almost worth charging through the more tedious bits just to witness all of Trevor's derangements . The role-swapping mid-mission can be kinda fun too.

I know you're not big into sandbox self-play (ahem ), but it's prob worth sampling some of the dotted stuff - off road racing, parachuting off Mt Chilliad, trying to evade cops on a bike in first person

I think that when I was telling myself I was laying off console GTAV because I wanted the PC version, it was a lie. The only GTA I finished was San Andreas...

It's more that I don't gel with the story and characters than the gameplay premise - my favourite console game last gen was RDR by a country mile and a big part of that was getting absorbed by the story - although doing all the kerazee Just Cause 2 type stuff also doesn't do much for me.

I dunno, it's hard to criticise such a technical achievement other than to say 'not for me'.

Well it had to happen...

Didn't realize quite how easy it was to add this mod. Just stick 3 tiny files in the main folder. Lovely UI on it too. You're just a few clicks from becoming a stag driving a helicopter

It has of course crashed twice already too . But there's def some fun to be had here. It seems some of the animal models may have been intended for player use at points too, the eagle has, um, a projectile weapon. And the cat can clean itself on command. (Which is good, because some of the carnage he caused made me feel dirty )

Only had a quick play, but I should imagine combining the 'drunken' cheat with the stag may make for interesting results. Or just crash the game...

I know that Rockstar have been banning people for using FOV mods in multiplayer which has made me nervous about touching any loose code for the game, even single player stuff.

They've said single player stuff is fine now. Might be wise to strip .dll files etc before going online in the meantime, but worst case is just getting put into online sin bin I think.

We have always appreciated the creative efforts of the PC modding community and we still fondly remember the awesome zombie invasion mod and original GTA map mod for GTAIV PC among many other classics. To be clear, the modding policy in our license has not changed and is the same as for GTAIV. Recent updates to GTAV PC had an unintended effect of making unplayable certain single player modifications. This was not intentional, no one has been banned for using single player modifications, and you should not worry about being banned or being relegated to the cheater pool just for using single player PC mods. Our primary focus is on protecting GTA Online against modifications that could give players an unfair advantage, disrupt gameplay, or cause griefing. It also bears mentioning that because game mods are by definition unauthorized, they may be broken by technical updates, cause instability, or affect your game in other unforeseen ways.

I can understand why an FOV mod in multiplayer could be seen as cheating but, for something like that, it's up to the devs to include a slider which goes past 80. I'm not FOV sensitive but know people who are and they feel sick at anything under 90 in 1080p.

Yep, I'm wondering if it's the car interiors that have forced their hand? They do look decidedly stretchy in vids I've seen of wide FOV.

*EDIT*
I'm not even sure FOV mods are being targetted to be honest. Their initial forays into cheat-blocking seemed to be just a bit too broad. They looked for anyone injecting foreign dlls. Maybe they'll get a bit more refined as things go on. IE I'm sure dlls associated with more cosmetic mods will be struck off the ban list etc.

Very silly. But I think this may just have made Just Cause 3 entirely defunct ...

So I finally got online to enjoy the gta online experience and so far so good. Was a little bummed I have to start at zero level wise but its whatever. Seen some really cool stuff like a naked player of level 420 or so who seemingly was indestructible. He also had a very cool cheat the changed his car color every second. Just crazy. Anybody here still play this? Would love to meet online and do some heists maybe. I need to get a headset though before I can really communicate. The xbox mic sucks. I'm powderedwater96 on xbox live.