Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

So that's what happened to Adam Sandler and David Spade, they're cranking out direct to Netflix movies.

Now I knew I was in for no Citizen Kane going in, but this thing was a mess. it didn't know what it wanted to be, a comedy, action movie, serious message about big pharma burying cures for diseases for $$$... so it tried to be all those and did none of them well. It received the half popcorn box just for the epic chick fight at the end set to Madonna's "Crazy For You"
I've been saving that, and The Ridiculous 6 for a rainy day, but I still haven't summed up the courage to watch either of them, I'm sure I'll probably dislike them. I haven't enjoyed any of his movies under his Happy Madison label since Zohan, but it's been a long time, I don't even know if I'd like it now. I guess Grown Ups is fine if you're in the right mood. Sandy Wexler sounds more appealing to me, but my expectations are still very low.

I've been saving that, and The Ridiculous 6 for a rainy day, but I still haven't summed up the courage to watch either of them, I'm sure I'll probably dislike them. I haven't enjoyed any of his movies under his Happy Madison label since Zohan, but it's been a long time, I don't even know if I'd like it now. I guess Grown Ups is fine if you're in the right mood. Sandy Wexler sounds more appealing to me, but my expectations are still very low.
Yeah it was pretty bad, started ridiculous 6, but it was late, I was already tired and dozed off so I'll need to rewatch that...

One of the few upsides, my hometown got a shout out, something that's been happening a lot recently for some reason.. it seems like every third show I watch references Jacksonville Florida for some reason... up til now all I had was the car chase in the original Creature from the Black Lagoon that came through Jax.. now it's everywhere...

Not a bad film but felt kind of empty without having any of the interesting characters from the original Harry Potter series and the school. Having them replaced with very bland ones and a period piece of New York was no replacement in my opinion.
I hope we'll look back at them after five films and say: "Hey, they were almost as awesome as Harry, Ron and Hermione." That'd be good enough for me.

The Neon Demon (2016)

After seeing Drive I was really curious how this one would be. The cast was good, screenplay was intriguing, art was beautiful. Other than that, it was dull, empty and egoistic movie. Sometimes even disgusting. I was truly bored.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The Neon Demon (2016)

After seeing Drive I was really curious how this one would be. The cast was good, screenplay was intriguing, art was beautiful. Other than that, it was dull, empty and egoistic movie. Sometimes even disgusting. I was truly bored.
I had the same reaction, Nesto.

I had the same reaction, Nesto.
Say, what was the meaning of it, let's say
WARNING: "possibe" spoilers below
that big cat in Jesse's room, or Donnie Darko's gf making it out with a corpse. OK i could speculate about the cat being actually one of the girls, or all three of them being some vampires,
but does the movie worth the effort?

I watched it twice thinking maybe I was in the wrong mood the first time. Still got bored. And I have no idea about the spoiler questions either. I think ruby did it (the first one you asked) but I dont know why. I have no idea about the second question. On first viewing I got to the end and said to myself What the??? I did the same with Valhalla Rising's end but I thought that was a much better movie.

LOL Nesto, I just saw this review on imdbee

Seriously. What utter garbage. The entire dialogue of this film could fit under 4 pages of written text. I can't believe this was produced. The film does have a suspense art style that makes you think this is going to develop into something interesting. That at any point all this nonsense will elope into something interesting. But instead this film manages to remain a vapid empty shell of nothingness with some shock value thrown in.

Keanu Reeves in this film ..why? After seeing him in John Wick, I kept asking why Keaunu. I guess he needed the paycheck. This is not some artistic movie. It's masturbation of some sort.

One of the worst movies I've seen this year!

I watched it twice thinking maybe I was in the wrong mood the first time. Still got bored. And I have no idea about the spoiler questions either. I think ruby did it (the first one you asked) but I dont know why. I have no idea about the second question. On first viewing I got to the end and said to myself What the??? I did the same with Valhalla Rising's end but I thought that was a much better movie.
OMG twice?! I just quote General Corman here: "you don't have to prove your courage in any other way"

Here's another which resonates with me. Basically what I got out of the movie - nothingness.

WARNING: spoilers below
In a way, this film is a perfect example of form following function. What better way to show how empty and perverse the model scene in Los Angeles is, than to make an empty and perverse movie about it? If Nicolas Winding Refn wanted to make this point, he has made it loud and clear.

But the question is: did he really want to make this point? Or did he just want to take his cinematographic capabilities one step further, by taking the visual aesthetics to the limit, without bothering about the rest? 'The Neon Demon' is visually stunning, but lacks substance. The story about a 16 year old model being literally devoured by the fashion industry, is nothing more than a vehicle for the visual exuberance of the film. It is like a 'Vogue' magazine: there are many pages, but they are all filled with glamorous pictures, and very little text. You can browse through it, but it doesn't have a message, other than an endless display of beauty.

To accentuate the perversion of it all, Winding Refn had added some horror elements, which almost seem ridiculous, especially at the end of the film. There's also an irritating and very prominent soundtrack. The acting is mostly unnatural and pretentious. But if you like browsing the latest edition of Vogue magazine, perhaps this is the film for you.

Here's another which resonates with me. Basically what I got out of the movie - nothingness.

WARNING: spoilers below
In a way, this film is a perfect example of form following function. What better way to show how empty and perverse the model scene in Los Angeles is, than to make an empty and perverse movie about it? If Nicolas Winding Refn wanted to make this point, he has made it loud and clear.

But the question is: did he really want to make this point? Or did he just want to take his cinematographic capabilities one step further, by taking the visual aesthetics to the limit, without bothering about the rest? 'The Neon Demon' is visually stunning, but lacks substance. The story about a 16 year old model being literally devoured by the fashion industry, is nothing more than a vehicle for the visual exuberance of the film. It is like a 'Vogue' magazine: there are many pages, but they are all filled with glamorous pictures, and very little text. You can browse through it, but it doesn't have a message, other than an endless display of beauty.

To accentuate the perversion of it all, Winding Refn had added some horror elements, which almost seem ridiculous, especially at the end of the film. There's also an irritating and very prominent soundtrack. The acting is mostly unnatural and pretentious. But if you like browsing the latest edition of Vogue magazine, perhaps this is the film for you.
yeah the guy definitely put some good thoughts together

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Closet Monster (2015)

Pretty much the only thing I needed to know to make me rent this Canadian movie was that Isabella Rossellini plays a hamster called Buffy. Yes, really. (Although now having seen it I have my doubts about whether the hamster was played by an actual hamster as I have never seen one quite that size.) This is a coming of age/coming out drama with a side order of weirdness as the main character - a teenager whose passage into adulthood is threatened by his domineering father, absent mother and recurring flashbacks to a murder he witnessed as a child - hallucinates strange things like a metal rod protruding from his stomach. In my opinion it could have done with more weirdness to balance out the fairly functional coming of age drama stuff to be really special. As it is, it's worth a look.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) -
+

Extended thoughts here - http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=48322
That's funny as I just watched that movie last night myself. I'll check out your review after I write mine. Though I think you and Raul might have liked it, better than I did

Diabolo menthe (1977)

I love this French comedy and drama. It's so fresh, pleasant, up-to-date. This is one of the very few films I actually laugh out load. It is also serious. Nice and simple slice of life about teenagers, parents, teachers, relationships, fun, problems, first boyfriend, love. If you can get a copy, check it out.

That's funny as I just watched that movie last night myself. I'll check out your review after I write mine. Though I think you and Raul might have liked it, better than I did
Tbh I was kinda suprised, I liked it that much considering it's not the type of film I usually enjoy.

Looking forward to reading your review btw.