Sony pays $1.5m over fake critic

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
BBC News

A judge has finalized a settlement in which film studio Sony will pay $1.5m (£850,000) to film fans after using a fake critic to praise its movies.

In 2001, ads for films including Hollow Man and A Knight's Tale quoted praise from a reviewer called David Manning, who was exposed as being invented.

People who saw the films can now get a $5 (£2.80) refund from Sony's pay-out, lawyer Norman Blumenthal said.

Sony did not admit liability in the settlement and declined to comment.

The studio reached the out-of-court agreement to settle the case and avoid the cost and uncertainty of litigation, according to a court notice.

The settlement was agreed last year but has only just been approved by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Carolyn Kuhl.

If the full $1.5m is not claimed, any money left over will go to charity, Mr Blumenthal said.

'Fabricated quotes'

Promotional material for other films including The Patriot, Vertical Limit and The Animal also carried quotes from "David Manning of The Ridgefield Press".

He supposedly called Heath Ledger "this year's hottest new star" for his role in A Knight's Tale, said The Animal was "another winner" and Hollow Man was "one hell of a scary ride".

But The Ridgefield Press, a small paper in Connecticut, said David Manning had never worked for them.

Sony temporarily suspended two employees following an internal investigation into "fabricated quotes on four movie ads".

Heard this on the news the other night. Interesting.

I remember hearing about Manning awhile back. I read about him in my area's paper at the time. The first ad I saw his name in was for Rob Schneider's The Animal. It was reprinted in an issue of Entertainment Weekly.

Now I have one question......how is it these people get money back on these films ? Not that I'm waiting on line myself.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by Austruck
I assume you'd have to have kept your ticket stub.

Do people keep their ticket stub? I'd need to build a west wing onto my flat to keep them all in. I keep stubs to concerts I go to, and pin them on a board, especially big concerts like Madonna in Madison Square Garden or the two U2 concerts, Oasis in Manchester etc, but movie stubs, hmmmm, I think you might have started something!
To be honest, I would be too embarrassed to admit to seeing Hollow Man in the cinema, D'OH!!!!!!!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The whole thing doesn't add up.

1.5 million is a drop in the bucket compared to what they made off these pieces of chit.

The refund is five bucks?

The average price of a ticket where I live is eight dollars.

I estimate that 45 million people when to watch those films in the U.S. alone, but the first 300,000 get the rebate.

How does that work?

I think a stiffer penalty would be making all of the Sony executives watch those films back-to-back-to-back.

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
To be honest, I would be too embarrassed to admit to seeing Hollow Man in the cinema, D'OH!!!!!!!
C'mon you can tell us!

I assume you'd have to have kept your ticket stub.
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
I would be too embarrassed to admit to seeing Hollow Man in the cinema, D'OH!!!!!!!

The only ticket stubs I ever "kept" were the ones for the midnight showings of the expanded Lord Of the Rings Trilogy one-time only theatrical release (framed), and Revenge of the Sith because it's the last Star Wars film ever.

As for Hollow Man, I saw it in theaters and I am not embarrased.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I keep some ticket stubs. Historic releases, midnight special showings ... and I still have many MANY ticket stubs from seeing all my favorite Gene Wilder movies over and over in the 1970s (in my many Gene scrapbooks).

But, I didn't need or want a refund for any of THOSE movies.

I keep all my cinema tickets...

As for the article, there's loads of fake reviews around, it's just business.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
As for the article, there's loads of fake reviews around, it's just business.
Like who?

IMDB is full of them. Check user comments on films about to be released. Ok, it's a kinda different scenario, but it's all just a marketing technique.

i usually keep all my ticket stubs for a few years, then i throw some of them out...i know that we saw hollow man and a knight's tale at the theatre, but i have no idea where they are anymore...

Randomly visiting for now
cool story, yeah stick it to the man! (the man being sony in case you missed that). I keep all my ticket stubs but after a few years they seem to fade somewhat so you can't read what movie it was. Granted I don't keep them organised well or anything, just in this massive pile of stubs dating back since 6 years ago.

Starcraft good in 97' good now
sony...trying to get more money?!?!?!?!?! no but seriously i wouldn't doubt it for a second all large companys or companys in general want a larger gross so making a fake critic its one of the simplest ways to do it maybe next time they should i dont know make a good movie???

What a bunch of frauds and cheap shots. I wondered how a critic could like A Knight's Tale after seeing it.

the persons awarded the $5 are probably the people who contributed an amount to the lawyers who fought the matter...at least thats how these settlements are usually handled

ie Erin Brokavich!!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Historic releases, midnight special showings ...
Oh lord Aus, please tell me you haven't been back-to-backing Pink Flamingos

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Like who?
Well, the Revolver 'people' for a start...

How to flog a turkey

The Adventure Starts Here!
Golg ... no. By "historic releases," I meant, more like, you know, Star Wars Episode 2. *cough*

I also keep stubs from special events ... like going to the movies with the kids for a birthday or other personal relational occasion. I might even have the ticket stub to baby Yoda's first movie. I'll let HIM tell you what that was, because I think he remembers....

there's a frog in my snake oil
It wasn't Splash was it? (Otherwise known as You've Got Tail)

For shame.

[Sorry, just got temporarily addicted to that four-word film-review site ]