The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Tools    

I gotta say that some of the best movies I've seen are from the Personal Recommendations that I've joined. Cricket is a great host and I've enjoyed these more than even the main HoFs!....How's that for a plug
100%! The reason I love these PRHoF's is because all the movies are first time watches. As much as I love re-watching my favorite films there are some films where one viewing is enough (I'm looking at you "In a Glass Cage" ). The only downer about these HoF's is it's getting tough to pick movies from the MoFo lists for a few people without going with a blind nom or choosing a movie that you're pretty confident they won't enjoy.

I'm in for this one.

Don't forget to update your lists! I almost picked Knife in the Water again!
I will get on it right when I get home. Sorry, knocked a few off the other day but obviously didn’t go deep enough.

Ohh! I hope it wasn't the one I already chose for you.
He said he marked off a half dozen. I had noticed 3 because he watched them on my rec. He loved them so much that he forgot he watched them immediately

He said he marked off a half dozen. I had noticed 3 because he watched them on my rec. He loved them so much that he forgot he watched them immediately
Ha...I had already picked everyone's noms before this thread started...I'm that enthused!

With all the movies you seem to watch, it's surprising how much you have available to choose from.
I have a huge list of "classic" films that either (1) have never interested me (Gone with the Wind), (2) I have read/heard SO MUCH about that I wanted to give some time to be able to come at them fresh (The Invisible Man), (3) Involve people that make the films an active turn-off (1970s Nosferatu), or I've just never gotten around to (I know I should watch The Conformist I KNOW YA'LL!).

I have a huge list of "classic" films that either (1) have never interested me (Gone with the Wind), (2) I have read/heard SO MUCH about that I wanted to give some time to be able to come at them fresh (The Invisible Man), (3) Involve people that make the films an active turn-off (1970s Nosferatu), or I've just never gotten around to (I know I should watch The Conformist I KNOW YA'LL!).
I wouldn't pick Nosferatu for you anyway, but if I would I wouldn't pick it for you for suspected animal cruelty. It wouldn't have occurred to me that you were anti-Herzog.

The trick is not minding
I wouldn't pick Nosferatu for you anyway, but if I would I wouldn't pick it for you for suspected animal cruelty. It wouldn't have occurred to me that you were anti-Herzog.
Anti Kinski I would think.

I'm trying to get a handle on what everyone likes/dislikes in the Personal Rec....that way I can win again Seriously I want to give everyone films that they will love or at least like. Can you expand a bit on why some classic films like GWTW don't interest you? It's cool that they don't, I just want to make a good choice for you.

Anti Kinski I would think.
Correct. Especially coming off of a school year with a student being abused by a parent and no one doing anything about it.

I'm trying to get a handle on what everyone likes/dislikes in the Personal Rec....that way I can win again Seriously I want to give everyone films that they will love or at least like. Can you expand a bit on why some classic films like GWTW don't interest you? It's cool that they don't, I just want to make a good choice for you.
I don't know, honestly. My reaction to it has always just been "eh." I'm not a big fan of any of the actors involved, I don't find the plot description all that compelling, it has a really long run time. (Sorry if that sounds shallow, but I'm talking about what draws me to a film, not how I actually judge a film's worth). I will say that the stills I've seen of it are gorgeous, but as with Barry Lyndon, pretty ain't gonna keep me happy for 3 hours.

But I go into everything with as much of an open mind as possible. The poster for Cranes Are Flying kept me away from it for a while and I loved it. In fact, discovering that something I thought I'd find just medium is actually really great is a wonderful feeling. If there's a classic you're head over heels for, recommend it!

Correct. Especially coming off of a school year with a student being abused by a parent and no one doing anything about it.

I don't know, honestly. My reaction to it has always just been "eh." I'm not a big fan of any of the actors involved, I don't find the plot description all that compelling, it has a really long run time. (Sorry if that sounds shallow, but I'm talking about what draws me to a film, not how I actually judge a film's worth). I will say that the stills I've seen of it are gorgeous, but as with Barry Lyndon, pretty ain't gonna keep me happy for 3 hours.

But I go into everything with as much of an open mind as possible. The poster for Cranes Are Flying kept me away from it for a while and I loved it. In fact, discovering that something I thought I'd find just medium is actually really great is a wonderful feeling. If there's a classic you're head over heels for, recommend it!
Thanks Takoma, that helps. I just changed your movie to a shorter and hopefully more upbeat film

Thanks Takoma, that helps. I just changed your movie to a shorter and hopefully more upbeat film
I look forward to all the 65 minute, upbeat films I'm about to watch over the next month!