Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Funeral parade of roses (1969) -

Love the style and it bleak -but also over the top- potrayal of gay boys without shoving gaudy messages. Just not fan of sex scenes

Pale flower (1964)

I do feel it cool, kinda really really want to love this movie. Only there this sore vibe of unresolved thing and it does left the ending clifhanged. Im sure there isnt any sequel :/

Project X (2012) - Nima Nourizadeh

- I wish I was there. It's my 3rd rewatch of this movie and it still one of my favorite guilty pleasure and in my opinion the best ''party'' movie ever made. The movie is nothing too special it is plain and simply entertaining as hell and the storyline is a lot of fun. High rewatch value.
-

I, Tonya

This is a similar biography movie like Foxcatcher.

The story is obviously interesting, the acting from whole cast is decent. We all know that Allison Janney already won a oscar for her role. Kudos to Sebastian Stan who also did a fantastic job. On the other hand, I felt like Margot Robbie's performance was a bit inconsistent, she did a good job as Tonya on the ice, but she wan't convincing enough to me during all the interview scenes.

Things I didn't like in this movie:
- The story relies too much on those interview scenes to move forward, it tries so hard to be funny but it gets old fast.
- The music. The music selection is actually very good, but the movie basically plays one song after one song to move forward the story, and it is non-stop. It is unfortunate that the director went the easy and lazy way.
- The whole escape scene after Nancy Kerrigan was attacked.

Still a decent movie though.

Final rating:

Phantom Thread

This movie demonstrates the power of acting and how important it is for a movie. If you replace Daniel Day-Lewis by an incompetent actor, a movie like this will turn to be nothing but dull.

I haven't seen Darkest Hour, and I am not planning to see it any time soon. Therefore I cannot really tell whose performance is stronger between Daniel Day-Lewis and Gary Oldman. However Daniel Day-Lewis, once again, was really amazing in Phantom Thread.

Oh I almost forgot to mention the good performance from Vicky Krieps. She was really good as the leading actress.

I think Phantom Thread is easily on par with There will be Blood.

Final rating:

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Kickboxer: Retaliation - superior sequel to the 2016 reboot of the Jean-Claude Van Damme classic Kickboxer, bringing back Alain Moussi as Kurt Sloane, now becoming a professional MMA fighter who is forced back to Thailand when he is basically kidnapped by Thomas Moore (Christopher Lambert), who is the mastermind behind the underground fights that led to the death of Kurt's brother Eric and Kurt's revenge against Tong Po. Moore offers $1 million to fight a new bioengineered fighter named Mongkut (HafÞór Júlíus Björnsson, aka Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane on Game of Thrones). When Kurt refuses, Moore kidnaps Kurt's wife Liu (Sara Malakul Lane) and Kurt then decides he must fight.

Van Damme is back as Durand, Kurt's Muay Thai teacher who is now blinded because of what transpired in theprevious film, but a welcome addition is Mike Tyson as Briggs, a prisoner who helps Kurt with both pain and power-punching with JCVD as more of a spiritual mentor who teaches Kurt to predict his opponent's moves. Tyson also brings in fellow prisoners Roy "Big Country" Nelson and Fabricio Werdum (UFC fighters), Ronaldinho (famed soccer star), and Brian Shaw (who has defeated Björnsson in the World's Strongman Competition) as Kurt's training partners.

Lots more action in this one, featuring two one-take fights. The big match between Kurt and Mongkut, a David vs. Goliath style fight takes up most of the last third of the film. A throwback to 90's American martial arts action films...fun nonetheless.

Final Rating: A-

Can't wait for the finale, Kickboxer: Armageddon (in pre-production)

Paddington

A re-watch for me and a family flick.

My wife enjoyed this a lot, but I found it too childish for my taste, just like when I saw this in the theatre in 2014. I just cannot stand the lazy writing and cliched plot.

But maybe my wife was right, I lost naivety a long time ago.

Final rating:

Tsubaki Sanjûrô [Sanjuro] (Akira Kurosawa, 1962)
+
Delightfully executed tale that really blooms in the second half

Crazy Joe (1974)

I actually watched this a while back, but have been putting off talking about it because I'm writing a longer review on it. It's taking me longer than I like, so I'm just going to lump Crazy Joe with the rest of these films. Obviously made because of the success of The Godfather (1972), Crazy Joe is a melting pot of the exploitative genre. The director, Carlo Lizzani, and a few of the Italian actors in the film, leave the fingerprints of the Italian Poliziotteschi genre on Crazy Joe, while the casting of Fred Williamson brings to recalls Black Caesar (1971) and the blaxplostation genre, and the film, especially the soundtrack, is aware of this.

Starring Peter Boyle as the titular renegade mobster "Crazy Joe' Gallo, the film is less of a character study of a complex man, but rather a collection of newspaper headlines cut out and pasted into a script. The movie sort of works, filming on location in the dirty, gritty New York of the 1970s definitely gives it an authentic feel, (Crazy Joe was shot and released in the middle of the Second Colombo War, where bodies were still hitting the streets of New York as a result of Gallo's rebellion and assassination) but you feel like more could have been gotten out of someone like Peter Boyle playing the lead.

Crazy Joe has never been released on video in the U.S., and the only reason I scored a copy is because I was lucky enough to find a region less bootleg on ebay on the cheap. If you can procure a copy, I definitely recommend Crazy Joe to any fan of the gangster genre. I'll hopefully be posting my extended review soon.

RATING:

Shot Caller (2017)

I was really blown away by Shot Caller. I've been juggling watching this and Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017) together as a prison double feature. Well, I only ended up having time for Shot Caller (hopefully I'll catch Cell Block 99 tonight), but I was hardly disappointed. Gritty, raw, and a clear indictment of the prison system, the frightening thing about Shot Caller is how that situation could potentially happen to anyone. For those unfamiliar with the plot, stock broker Jacob Harlon (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) goes to prison after a manslaughter DUI charge. Being his only way to survive, Harlon falls in with a skin head prison gang (Jeffrey Donovan and especially Jon Bernthal are great in these roles) for protection. Little by little he becomes more and more associated with the gang; what first becomes simply passing drugs across prison soon turns into targeted shankings and brawling during prison riots. Harlon, who went into prison a regular guy, transforms into a tattooed thug.

RATING:

Southbound (2015)

If you're in the market for an under the radar anthology horror, there are worse roads to take than Southbound. Some of the stories clearly fall flat, but there's enough there to keep you interested, though not coming back for more.

RATING:

47 Meters Down (2017)

I wasn't expecting much from 47 Meters Down, but I gotta say, this is just a by the numbers, shark movie, coasting off the success of The Shallows (2016). Basically one of those movies where you can guess the entire story out of the trailer. I really can't recommend this one; you've seen this movie before and chances are it was better the first time you saw it.

RATING:

You can't win an argument just by being right!
[quote=Gangland;1859705][b]Crazy Joe /QUOTE]

Why is this not available in US? I've not heard of it before so dont know if it's available here but just curious about why you guys cant get it.

Oh dear god 47 metres down. Just nothing original there at all, is there.

OK would anyone believe I had never seen this before. I have no idea why. Surprisingly entertaining.

[center]Blade Runner: 2049
I must say, I'll join the ranks of those who marveled at that opening of yours.

Now here is something eery, I wandered outside last night to sit under the upcoming Blood Moon and sip my tea while trying to shake off a hot day. Picked up my phone and clicked on last post for this thread while rubbing sleepy eyes to see what people were enjoying or not. As my phone is want to do it took me to a random page somewhere in the bowels of the thread which just happened to be page 2049 just after you had commented on

page 2049.

Now how is that! Must be the blood moon.

Random musing for the day. Great review TUS; I missed it the first time so thanks for the gratuitous bump.

[quote=Dani8;1859741]
[b]Crazy Joe /QUOTE]

Why is this not available in US? I've not heard of it before so dont know if it's available here but just curious about why you guys cant get it.

Oh dear god 47 metres down. Just nothing original there at all, is there.

OK would anyone believe I had never seen this before. I have no idea why. Surprisingly entertaining.

Though it had a number of American actors in it (Peter Boyle, Eli Wallach, Rip Torn, and Fred Williamson), it was an Italian, rather than an American production. I just assumed there was a DVD that existed of it somewhere, just never a Region 1 DVD. But digging a little deeper, I don't see any kind of official DVD release for Crazy Joe and all that's on the market seem to be bootlegs.

Wedding Daze (2006)

@rauldc14, It’s a terrific movie. I’ve seen it twice & could watch it again.

This might just do nobody any good.
ZD30 is dynamic filmmaking and utterly engrossing.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

I really liked it. Don't know why some fans oh-so-lovingly said it (and I'm putting the censor on) "crapped the bed." I like how Anno's done something different with each of these movies. I loved Shinji's reaction when they're explaining about the DSS Choker: "What the hell's going on? (he says that a lot in this one) That's so messed up!" Also, Maya, who was just a "bridge bunny" (this is what happens when you read too much TVTropes) before, got really... Kick-ass and bossy all of a sudden. "Don't give me any excuses! Run your stations, not your mouth!" Granted, she had 14 years to get like that. Speaking of which... Exactly what happened to Asuka's left eye? Also, Shinji's dad is still an ass. It had to be said. Seriously, the guy has "jerk-off" written all over him. With a dad like that, it's no wonder the kid (oh, that's right, he's actually 28) seems to be perpetually depressed. Having watched the first four episodes of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion show a few nights ago, I can say this holds true there as well. All of that said, I can't wait to see how the fourth movie turns out. Later, guys.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(REWATCH) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
With such a title it should be understood that this movie is equally dark and beautiful. Set in the 1800's Paris, France, is a story of a young man with exceptional smell that, desiring to retain the scent of a particular girl, begins to murder others to create a perfume.
An extraordinary film done with artistic brilliance.

I need a rewatch, Edar. Stunning film.