Wolfen

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Wolfen (1981) Albert Finney/Edward James Olmos

Although somewhat flawed in that it goes slightly overboard with an environmental message, Wolfen has enough style and creative juice to make it a film to remember. Blending American Indian mythology, gumshoe detective work, and lycanthropy in to a sort of tripped out package (the shots seen through the wolves eyes are warped and a bit psychadelic), Wolfen is a change of pace from the the years other two wolf pieces, An American Werewolf in London, and The Howling (admittedly creepy, but has a much more B-movie feel than Wolfen to me).

The director of Wolfen (Michael Wadleigh) has the best eye for creative shots in comparison to the other two directors, and doesn't rely on boo tactics to get cheap scares out of his audience. The acting in this film is also better than the other films with Hines and Finney bringing interesting characters to life for the story. I guess what sets this film apart for me if the visceral atmosphere created by the unique photography used in this picture, and the fact that the wolves are given a sense of majesty and history, which I haven't seen done in a wolf flick before.

scope it out folks...

I agree it was a nice variation on the old werewolf genre, I felt Albert Finney was rather lackluster in his performance. I hafta check this out again. Been a while since I have seen it.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by MacReady
I agree it was a nice variation on the old werewolf genre, I felt Albert Finney was rather lackluster in his performance. I hafta check this out again. Been a while since I have seen it.

well...I think Finney just has that air about him. Hence the staus he reached in his career which was just "Pretty good". Another example I just saw was Miller's Crossing where his performance was good, but not great in comparison to the other folks in the film, who were stellar. I mean I think he performs to his capability, but he lacks that little something that make great actors REALLY charismatic.