The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

No to Following, yes to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I thought Fincher did a good job of adapting Stieg Larsson's novel. Leaving out the meticulous financial minutiae of course.

7 of 18.

Both are okay movies from directors that have done way better films.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I can’t say I’ve cared much for the second half of Nolan’s career. I’m not interested in puzzling out his overly convoluted films, or even watching them at this point, but I do like his early work, and while Following isn’t perfectly realized, I very much like it. I had it somewhere in the mid teens on my list, making it the third movie of mine to make it.

AWARDS?

Following received the following nominations and awards:
  • Two (2) Dinard British Film Festival Award nominations, including the Silver Hitchcock Award (Christopher Nolan)
  • Two (2) Slamdance Film Festival Award nominations, including the Black & White Award (Nolan)
  • Two (2) Newport International Film Festival Award nominations, including a win for Best Director Award (Nolan)
  • Rotterdam International Film Festival Tiger Award (Nolan)

AWARDS?

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo received the following nominations and awards:
  • Five (5) Academy Award nominations, including a win for Best Editing (Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter)
  • Two (2) Saturn Award nominations, including a win for Best Horror/Thriller Film
  • Two (2) BAFTA Award nominations for Best Cinematography and Score
  • Two (2) Critics Choice Award nominations, including a win for Best Editing (Wall and Baxter)
  • Two (2) Golden Globe Award nominations, including Best Performance by a Lead Actress (Rooney Mara)

I forgot the opening line.
How ironic that I've seen one of the film noir reveals today, but neither of the neo noir ones. I didn't even know about Christopher Nolan's Following. I got onboard with Memento and never considered any earlier stations. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - well, I can't even consider watching the Fincher version after seeing the Swedish version. Noomi Rapace is Lisbeth Salander, and that's all I have to say about that.

Seen : 10/18
Heard of : 14/18

Still nothing from my list

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. i've rewatched dragon tattoo since i wrote that review and think it would probably be in the top half of a fincher ranking if i got around to making one. i started a nolan rewatch in reverse (temporal pincer movement) after oppenheimer but it stalled out before i got to following, but i still think i would like it a second time around.

Crazy day at work, but I'm gonna try and post reveals as soon as I can

4lists46points
Blue Ruin
Director

Jeremy Saulnier, 2013

Starring

Macon Blair, Devin Ratray, Amy Hargreaves, Kevin Kolack

7lists46points
Brick
Director

Rian Johnson, 2006

Starring

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emilie de Ravin, Nora Zehetner, Lukas Haas

TRAILERS

Blue Ruin - A mysterious outsider's quiet life is turned upside down when he returns to his childhood home to carry out an act of vengeance, which will lead him into a fight to protect his estranged family.

Brick - A teenage loner infiltrates the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend.

Brick was my 24. Such a cool flick and just oozes Noir.

I would like to see Blue Ruin again. I remember it pretty fondly, but besides the startling violence I don’t remember it much. It never occurred to me to consider it when making my list.

I thought Brick was an interesting concept, but the execution had mixed results. I liked the dialogue better than the story. I didn’t like Blue Ruin at all.

Seen: 15/20

Brick was taking a powder at #75 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've seen both of these - Blue Ruin for one of the main Halls of Fame and Brick for one of the Personal Recommendation Halls of Fame - and thought both were okay but never considered either for my ballot.

I haven't seen Brick, but it seems like the kind of film I might enjoy.

Blue Ruin was my #16. As far as Saulnier goes, I might slightly prefer Green Room's more visceral gut-punch, but Blue Ruin is the kind of slow burn that sticks with you.

SEEN: 11/20
MY BALLOT: 2/25

My ballot  

Excellent picks. Neither made my ballot, but they likely would have if I could have picked 27. I celebrate Rian Johnson's entire catalog (barring The Brothers Bloom, which I haven't seen). Saulnier and star Macon Blair (who's also a strong filmmaker; see I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore) also haven't let me down yet.

Reply to Topic