Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You forgot to mention this is basically Harakiri of the 21st century. But yeah, amazing movie.
One of those classics I really should have seen by now, but haven't. Will bump it in my queue.

7th Rewatch...My favorite Woody Allen movie. I don't think it's his best movie, but It's my favorite...quintessential Woody Allen with all the nutty characters we expect from the Woodmeister, glorious music, and an absolutely lovely ending, one of Woody's specialties.

1`st Rewatch...Believe it or not, the one thing that totally held my attention during this rewatch was the beautiful performance by the late James Caan as Walter, Buddy's father. His performance alone makes this movie worth a second look. Loved Peter Dinklage too.

1st Rewatch...the years have not been kind to this one. This story of BFF's (Kate Hudson, Anne Hathaway) who both want to have their weddings at the Plaza Hotel on the same day seems even sillier than it the first time I saw it. I just didn't buy these BFF's destroying their friendship over a wedding venue or their fiancees putting up with it.

Low-key movie. Enjoyable. All 3 leads are very good.

1st Rewatch...David Fincher really knocked it out of the park with this sexy psychological thriller about a woman framing her husband for her murder. The story sounds simple, and it is, but it is Fincher's work as director and co-screenwriter of this gem that gives it the substance it has. Even though we know from the beginning of the movie that Nick is innocent, Fincher effectively sets up reasonable doubt to the point where we begin scratching our heads. And even when we think it's over, it's not. This is the only time I've seen a movie with an extra ending that worked. Ben Affleck has never been better as the tortured Nick and Rosemond Pike is bone-chilling in her Oscar-nominated performance as Amy.

4th Rewatch....A near brilliant screenplay by Alexander Payne and a perfect ensemble cast keep this film stupid with rewatch appeal. Reese Witherspoon was robbed of her first Oscar nomination for her ferocious Tracy Flick and Matthew Broderick offers the edgiest performance of his career as well, but the screenplay is the real star here.

6th Rewatch...probably the strongest of the Burton/Depp collaborations, Depp's delicately nuanced performance still anchors this movie, but I've noticed a lot of other things with this film over the years that amp its rewatch appeal. The film is gorgeously photographed and the art direction is absolutely outrageous. It's also so easy to overlook the work of Dianne Wiest, Kathy Baker, and especially Alan Arkin, who just shines as Weist's husband.

Prizzi's Honor - (1985)

I'm not quite sure if Prizzi's Honor is a comedy that's really serious, or a serious movie that's a bit of a comedy. When a young Charley Partanna (played for the most part by Jack Nicholson) gets brass knuckles as a Christmas gift I thought, "Oh no, 'wacky' comedy," but the film actually settled into a more or less realistic tone after that. That's why I liked it so much - because there's enough to laugh about in real life without resorting to overblown, cheap gags. Partanna meets and falls in love with hitwoman Irene Walker (Kathleen Turner) - and they dream of a life together as partners in crime. Events, however, overtake their love story. When Irene kills a police captain's wife, she becomes a liability - but not before being approached with a contract to take out her husband. I really enjoyed this mafia flick, and I think it struck just the right balance between being fun and telling a serious story. Anjelica Huston appears as a poisonous schemer, Maerose - someone who has a past with Partanna, and has been accepted back into the family fold after being exiled. Nicholson and Huston absolutely sold me on their characters - a terrific pair of actors. It's hard to believe it's nearly 40 years old - this movie has aged quite well, and I think that's because it's humour comes spontaneously from the situation it's characters are in, and isn't forced.

8/10
Both thumbs up for this one! What a cast with Nicholson, Anjelica Huston, and Sharon Stone. And with John Huston directing. I think that William Hickey as Don Prizzi almost stole the show. "Have a cook-ie...."

Oppenheimer is the last movie I saw. It'was okay tho.

I watched Oppenheimer recently. I was okay. Not that bad. Maybe 7/10.

TERROR OF FRANKENSTEIN
(1977, Floyd)

"I seek... I plan to seek their help. You see, I'm alone and friendless."

Terror of Frankenstein follows the attempts of Victor Frankenstein (Leon Vitali) to "create life" and his subsequent efforts to stop his own creation (Per Oscarsson). This film was described to me as "the most authentic to the book", and although I've never read it, it seems it is based on what I've read.

This was a film that certainly caught me off guard, in a positive way. I think that the performances from both Vitali and Oscarsson are pretty good with lots of interesting layers and nuances to both characters. I think Oscarsson in particular did a great job portraying the "monster's" frustration and eventual hatred of humans.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

One of those classics I really should have seen by now, but haven't. Will bump it in my queue.
Yeah, Harakiri is excellent.

Avengement -

This is a lean, mean, brutal and always entertaining revenge tale that, if anything, stopped me from looking down at the abbreviation "DTV" ever again.

I was surprised when I discovered Adkins is in many movies I have seen such as The Bourne Ultimatum, Doctor Strange, Unleashed and X-Men Origins: Wolverine because I did notice him in any of them. Granted, he is likely in smaller parts and/or unrecognizable in them, but it's still hard to believe given the impression he makes here. I was aware of his reputation as a martial artist going in, which he earns right after the first fight. The scenes where he takes on several opponents at once are the highlights, particularly the finale, and I do not exaggerate when I say that it is one for the ages. However, his skill as an athlete is not all that is worthy of praise. I genuinely empathized with his unfortunate situation from being blamed for starting all of his prison fights to not being able to be there for his mother.
I think that Adkins is an incredible athlete and there is an elegance to his movement that makes me think more of something like ballet than fighting sometimes.

I've seen quite a few of his DTV catalog, and Avengement is probably the strongest in terms of the mix of action and actual acting/plot. I think that he's a charismatic lead, but when his movies try to lean into comedy I find it incredibly painful.

If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend Ninja: Shadow of a Tear, Hard Target 2, and Accident Man. I'd avoid Abduction.

Fast X, 2023 (B)

I get that this is a first part to at least two parts, but still. It's forgettable F&F stuff, plus Jason Momoa absolutely devouring the scenery. Not enough of that guy to save the movie however. Charlize isn't there enough and does almost nothing memorable the whole time. A lot of unresolved plot points and setups, which, of course, it's a setup movie. Blah.

ALTERED
(2006, Sánchez)

"Look at us. We're all fu˘ked up now."

Altered follows a group of friends that manage to capture an alien creature in an attempt to get payback after being abducted and tested on themselves 15 years ago. However, their quest for revenge only serves to bring forth their own personal issues, guilt, regrets, and traumas, which has led to them being distanced and "all fu˘ked up now".

This film was directed by Eduardo Sánchez, one of the creators and directors of The Blair Witch Project. I assume it shouldn't have been easy to follow up such a successful project, so I appreciate him sticking to a small-scale, independent project like this. He uses a very economical approach focusing more on the interactions between the friends than the alien itself.

Grade:

EXISTS
(2014, Sánchez)

"We're going to be fine, as long as we don't provoke it. There are no credible documented cases of a Sasquatch attack."

Exists follows a group of friends spending a weekend in a remote cabin, only to find themselves being stalked and hunted by a mysterious creature. Directed by Eduardo Sánchez, co-director of The Blair Witch Project, this is a film that really lends itself really well for the "found footage" format, and he really makes some good use of it here.

The direction does a great job of creating dread and tension through the possibility of an approaching figure, or because of the actual approaching figure. There are also a lot of effective jumpscares and genuinely scary, creepy moments. Even though I don't think the very conclusion did the trick, I have to admit that I was fidgeting at numerous times during the film.

Grade:

I forgot the opening line.

By Blumhouse Productions - https://dam.gettyimages.com/universa...ightsatfreddys, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=73818666

Five Nights at Freddy's - (2023)

I had my doubts, but this was the mainstream movie of the moment so I decided to check it out - and it was terrible. (Except for Matthew Lillard's limited appearance in the film - which for me was the only joy I got from the whole debacle.) It's a shame - the effects are great, and the animatronic death-bots seem very realistic (well, except for the weird cupcake one.) I've never played the game - so I don't know if there's a general storyline that's 'canon' - but the writing felt extremely lacking in imagination, and the performances flat, lacking in personality and overall really stunted. There's nothing to the story - so chances are when you go see this you'll already pretty much know everything that happens, because this isn't out to subvert any expectations or take diversions into surprising and unusual territory. The film shies away from showing anything really gruesome, and instead relies on jump-scares and the look of it's animatronic murder-bots. There wasn't enough in this to give me an enjoyable experience - and I left thinking I did not get my money's worth.

4/10

By Ralf Films & Wildflower Films - www.thelastimpresario.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=43125088

The Last Impresario - (2013)

Amongst the highlights and lowlights of theater (and movie) producer Michael White's life we learn about in The Last Impresario is the time he brought The Rocky Horror Show to America, and signed the rights away to Lou Adler, losing himself around $150 million via that off-the-cuff decision - White is someone who's good with people, and has led an enviable life - but he's terrible at just about everything else. He's someone generally not known about as far as the general public is concerned, but he hobnobs with all the biggest names in the world on a daily basis and goes to the A-list parties. Gracie Otto ended up spending so much time with him documenting his life that the two became friends - and she had some great times (which unfortunately, Michael wouldn't allow her to film - when she went to Jack Nicholson's house with him, apparently Jack was wearing a Rocky Horror T-shirt. Perfect to get on film or photograph, but he said "No", worried his friend would feel his friendship was abused.) Among those interviewed in this film are John Cleese, Naomi Watts, Kate Moss, Rachel Ward, Yoko Ono, Barry Humphries, Wallace Shawn, Andre Gregory and John Waters. We get a great deal of insight into the industry, and a good look through White's photo album, which has personal snaps with the likes of David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Iggy Pop, Johnny Depp, and everyone else who attained fame from the late 60s to today. A dizzying life to lead - in intimate contact with names like all of those, and the excitement rubs off when you follow along in this entertaining documentary. Recommended.

7.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)