The Mofo Top 100 Television Shows

Tools    

Fart. Accidentally deleted my own post before posting it.

*grumble*
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Fart. Accidentally deleted my own post before posting it.

*grumble*
You don't have to fart because of it. Gross.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
42. Frasier (1993 - 2004)

Theme Song

Quote: Roger, at Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Tunneling Electron Microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. Roger, if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem. ~ Frasier

A long running sitcom about a psychiatrist with a radio program, his brother who is also a psychiatrist and his blue collar retired policeman father who lives with Frasier.

Origin: It was one of the most successful spin-offs in television history. Dr. Frasier Crane was a character on the hit sitcom Cheers.

Daphne and Miles's Baby: In the finale they name their baby David. This is to honor co-creator David Angell who was killed in the 9/11 attacks.

Eddie: A Jack Russell Terrier named Moose played the part of Eddie until he retired from acting. His look-a-like understudy Enzo then took over for him.

Roz: Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe from Friends) was originally hired to play the part. They thought she was very funny but didn't think she could play forceful well enough, so she was fired. Peri Gilpin was then hired to play Roz. Kudrow landed the part of Phoebe a year later.

Placements: 3 23rd, 3 22nd, 1 18th, 1 16th, 1 14th, 1 8th, 1 2nd

41. Law & Order ( 1990- 2010)

Theme song

Quote: In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories ~ Narrator

A crime drama show told in two parts. First the crime and the arrest of the culprit is shown and then the prosecution.

It is tied with Gunsmoke for being the longest running live action scripted prime time series.

Fun Fact: The distinctive "thunk thunk" sound used between scenes in a combination of more than a dozen sounds including monks stomping on the floor.

Spin-Offs - Law & Order has become a marketable franchise with various spin-offs includingLaw & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Trial by Jury and Law & Order: LA

Placements: 2 5th, 1 8th, 1 10th, 1 15th, 1 18th

Frasier is great. There isn't anything out there that has the joke rate of Frasier and, for me, that's one of its best features. I love the characters and Frasier is pompous and pretentious enough to be taken down a peg or two, without every being unlikeable. Frasier, like many of the shows I love really wins because of the supporting cast. It's not that they make the show, but they give it a depth and richness that allows the show to continue for longer than it otherwise would, IMO.

I always like Law & Order, but I don't think it was shown on terrestrial tv over here. I only remember it from satellite. As I said earlier, this incarnation is the only one I ever followed and watched every week. I don't know how many seasons I watched it for. It was just on.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"Law & Order" was in my 26-30 zone, so I think it's great, but I didn't vote for it. Watched a gazillion episodes though.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
42. Frasier (1993 - 2004)
41. Law & Order ( 1990- 2010)

"Frasier" and "Law & Order" are two shows that I really wanted to include in my list, but I just didn't have enough spots for them. They're both fantastic shows that I watched from the first episode to the last, and I still watch both shows in reruns.

When compiling the list, Frasier really made me nervous. You'll notice it has a lot of votes but at first there were all votes with low point value and I was really nervous about it making it. Then a few high scoring votes came along and it ended up in the top half. I didn't vote for it myself, but I sure think it deserves to be on here and in the top half. It's a good sitcom, funny with endearing characters. Of course, I love the dog also.

I've watched some Law & Order but only the Criminal Intent one and only the ones with Kathryn Erbe and Vincent D'Onofrio.

Now I watch the SVU one because my boyfriend likes it. Or I should say my boyfriend likes
Mariska Hargitay.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I didn't realise I put Frasier on my list, but apparently I did at #23. My parents used to watch that show religiously when it was on, watching every new episode. I despised it because it clashed with The Simpsons.

I watched a few episodes on tv years later, and my parents bought the whole series, and that's where I got into it. It's not even close to Seinfeld in the best sitcom stakes, but it was consistently funny and entertaining, even when it got a bit lackluster towards the end.

Now I watch the SVU one because my boyfriend likes it. Or I should say my boyfriend likes Mariska Hargitay.
This is completely understandable.

It's not even close to Seinfeld in the best sitcom stakes,
You're right, it's not. It's way, way in front of it.

I've seen a few episodes of Frasier and I thought it was quite good. It wasn't a show I saw enough of to consider it for my list.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen Law & Order.

I don't think I've ever seen an episode of vanilla L&O. The Sexy Victims Unit is probably the show I most love to hate though. It was always on at my parents house and my wife likes to watch it now because it gives her an opportunity to do some back seat lawyering.

I kind of wish I had sent in a list. Could've maybe pushed The Young Ones a little higher.

Just here for the free donuts
Yay, two shows I love! Law & Order was my #5. I wonder who else had it placed at #5? We must be television soul mates. I didn't have Frasier on my list only because I totally forgot about it. I grew up watching it and my family are all bigger fans than I am. And Godog, his brother's name on the show is Niles, not Miles

Just here for the free donuts
I never really got into the other L&O spin offs, just always loved the original. The show was always great through many cast changes but this was my favorite, and for me, the CLASSIC L&O lineup:

This is completely understandable.

He thinks I look a bit like her, but I don't see it.

I did stumble across this Julia Louis Dreyfus pic when I was doing the SNL entry. I never thought I looked like her before but in this particular pic the resemblance is uncanny.

@ Donnie: the list is updated.

40. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (2005 -)

Theme Song

Quote: Grain alcohol, baby! Whenever there's a potential riot, I'm getting blasted on grain alcohol.~ Mac

A sit-com about a group of friends, two of whom are brother and sister, that run an Irish bar.

Game of Thrones connection: Two writers for that series wrote an upcoming episode for It's Always Sunny.

Real-Life Couple: Charlie Day and The Waitress actress, Mary Elizabeth Ellis, are married in real life.

Danny DeVito: He was asked to play a character in the second season. His kids were fans of the show so he said yes.

Placements: 2 7th, 2 21st, 1 11th, 1 13th, 1 1 15th, 1 18th

39. Hannibal (2013 - )

Theme Song

Quote: Before we begin you must all be warned - nothing here is vegetarian. Bon appetit. ~ Dr. Hannibal Lector

Psychological horror series loosely based off characters from the novel Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.

Unlike most network shows each season will consist of thirteen episodes.

First casting choice for Will Graham: Bryan Fuller had wanted Lee Pace to play the role. He had worked with him previously on Pushing Daisies.

Real Life Couple: Gina Torres and Laurence Fishburne are married in real life as well as being married on the show.

Torres played Jasmine on a season of Angel so this marks her second appearance on the list.

More casting facts: Hugh Dancy recommended Mads Mikkelsen for the Hannibal role. Thanks Hugh!!

Gillian Anderson's role was originally written with Angela Lansbury in mind. When she couldn't take it the role was rewritten for a younger woman.

Fuller's plan: Fuller had a seven season plan in mind for the series, so hopefully the show continues to succeed and we get to watch the plan unfurl.

Placements: 1 1st, 1 5th, 1 7th, 1 11th, 1 16th, 1 21st, 1 22nd