The Chronicles of Narnia

Tools    

A few seperate excerpts from AICN:

Walden Media has partnered with The C.S. Lewis Company to produce the first live-action feature adaptation of the best-selling children’s classic The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Finding resonance between its educational mission and the book’s universal themes of truthfulness, loyalty and courage, Walden has optioned the seven-part fantasy series The Chronicles of Narnia, and intends to develop it into a franchise. The project will be overseen by Douglas Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis, and Walden Media’s Joel Stillerman, executive vice president of film & television, and Perry Moore, vice president of production and development.
Stated Gresham, "It has been our dream for many years not simply to make a live-action version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but to do so while remaining faithful to the novel. We are delighted to make this film with Walden Media, which we are confident will create the adaptation that my stepfather would have wanted."
With a distinctive mission to recapture imagination and rekindle curiosity by marrying popular entertainment and education, Walden Media is a multimedia entertainment company led by Cary Granat, former president of Miramax Films’ Dimension label and executive at Universal Pictures. The New York-based venture, launched in May 2001, focuses on educational subject matter presented through the mediums of film, television, publishing, music and media ventures.
For the sake of all that is good and Holy, PLEASE let them get this right. Even if they get the feeling down right, I sure hope they can get the necessary funding to do the world of Narnia justice.

Here's my ideal cast for the first movie (had fun making this up awhile ago):
  • Peter: Elijah Wood
  • Susan: Kirsten Dunst
  • Edmund: Haley Joel Osment
  • Lucy: that girl from "Spy Kids."
  • The White Witch: Glenn Close
  • Aslan: CGI, voiced by James Earl Jones
  • Mr. Tumnus: maybe Johnny Depp? It'd be in makeup anyway.
  • Warwick Davis as Reepicheep

B&W
I sure hope they can get the necessary funding to do the world of Narnia justice.
Exactly my opinion.

Peace,

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by TWTCommish
Here's my ideal cast for the first movie (had fun making this up awhile ago):
  • Peter: Elijah Wood
  • Susan: Kirsten Dunst
  • Edmund: Haley Joel Osment
  • Lucy: that girl from "Spy Kids."
  • The White Witch: Glenn Close
  • Aslan: CGI, voiced by James Earl Jones
  • Mr. Tumnus: maybe Johnny Depp? It'd be in makeup anyway.
  • Warwick Davis as Reepicheep
Those are awesome choices! Except Glenn Close as the White Witch...she's too old I told you! Someone sexier....like....um....I don't know.

Guy
I figured that would happen -- 2 'classic' series get adapted for the big screen and make 200 + mill (don't need to wait for LOTR to see that coming), and now all the companies will rush out and adapt other fantasy stories as soon as they can.

Bravo on your choice for cast! Johnny Depp as Tumnus is freakin perfect. That's probably the best post you've had on this forum. 1 out of 3256 ain't bad.

You've read them, eh? You don't seem the type. Anyway, it's a lot more than 3,256...that's not counting the posts in the Intermission forum. Depp, I'll add, though, would have to hide his coolness...Tumnus ought to be bumbling and clumsy.

i only read the wardrobe one, but liked it a lot, perfect movie material, cant wait for it.

And TWT: if they could get that cast it could be the best one ever, but i dont think thats realistic.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Originally posted by mecurdius
And TWT: if they could get that cast it could be the best one ever, but i dont think thats realistic.
Oh, I know. There's no way they'll get them...I'll be amazed if they get even ONE of them, really. Just wishful thinking...kinda fun to visualize the perfect cast.

I saw that Rob Minkoff (Stuart Little, Lion King) was supposed to direct The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe but has apparently backed off the project (causing the stock price on HSX.com to lose 3.5%!). Does anyone know 1)Why Rob is off the project, and 2)Is anyone replacing him?
I was very excited that he was directing, but now I'm a little worried.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by TWTCommish

Oh, I know. There's no way they'll get them...I'll be amazed if they get even ONE of them, really. Just wishful thinking...kinda fun to visualize the perfect cast.
Not to mention...it's NOT the perfect cast, because you didn't cast me as the Witch. Thank you very much!

James Earl Jones as the Lion? Hmmm....

Has this been done before somewhere?

Has anyone seen a British television series adaptation of these books. I saw them as a kid and I have fond memories. Don't know if they would hold up as well today. I've never read the books but I have a small knowledge of the world due to this TV series.

It's about a few kids who enter a wardrobe, right? ... right?

Yeah, I saw the british version. They didn't adapt all the books, but they did several of them (TLTWATW, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Silver Chair, if I remember correctly)...they were alright, but not up to par with what Hollywood could potentially do with them.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Some of the fourth graders that come to my class are reading The Chronicles of Narnia right now. I saw them reading that, then remembered this thread.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Every child should be forced to read these books so that they know what imagination is. If I hadn't read these I wouldn't be able to come up with any of the stories that I do in Creative Writing.

Originally posted by Jared's Uncle
Every child should be forced to read these books so that they know what imagination is. If I hadn't read these I wouldn't be able to come up with any of the stories that I do in Creative Writing.
Agreed. LOTR is a great story, but compared to Narnia, Middle-Earth is just a textbook. One of my favorite lines of the series describes the feeling Lucy gets as being similar to the one you feel when you lay in bed, dreading having to get up, when you suddenly realize that it's a weekend, and you can stay in bed as long as you like. That's one of the most poetic things I've ever read...it's beautiful, but not in some superfluous way.

Just for all of you Hollywood Stock Exchange (www.hsx.com) players, The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe stock (ticker symbol LWWRB) is soaring on the news that Walden Media has moved this into the development phase!
First confirmation that the movie is getting made, now it's helping my portfolio! Eeexcellent!