2005 Oscar nominations

Tools    

Neutral Milk Hotel
Originally Posted by Lance McCool
How can something be boring and interesting at the same time?
My Brother said that it was a boring movie but the way it was shot was cool. understand?
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

The only Oscar nominations i think Closer is due, is for Clive Owen, who was particularly memorable (Natalie Portman was good as well) IMO.

Originally Posted by OG-
Does anyone else find this absolutely retarded?
They announced that earlier in the week, the whole handing some of the "lesser" and more technical awards out in the audience rather than having each winner trudge up to the stage and thank everybody they've ever known.

Frankly, I don't think it is retarted at all. They have to do something to try and move the show along. I think they should just hand out many of those in the "other" ceremony that isn't televised at all, the one for scientific and technical achievements. The actual televised Oscar ceremony should be the big eight awards (Picture, Director, Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress and Adapted/Original Screenplay) plus the documentaries, foreign-language, the Honorary Oscar (if any that year) and maybe two others - I'd even cut out the songs (or at the very least the performances of the songs). That's it. The whole thing could be quick and sharp, coming in at two hours or so and boring nobody. Instead it always bloats to over four hours and is just screamingly dull for most of that running time, with no sense of rhythm or pacing.

Giving some of the awards nobody really cares about out in the seats can only help speed things up.

I think.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I concur, Doctor.

Doctor?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Idunno about that. I guess I feel differently because to me the Oscars are a special ceremony. Sure they may not be solid, critical and accurate, but I really look forward to seeing them every year. If they cut out alot of the pomp and circumstance to make it more concise and clear cut for a broad audience I feel it would loose alot of what makes the ceremony special.

I can understand removing some of the "lesser" technical awards, though I do appreciate seeing those broadcast, but changing the presentation of those awards seems like a slap in the face to me. But I guess the nominees would rather have some variation of a presentation as opposed to none at all, but it seems unnecessary to me.

I'm sure these changes will speed things up, but I personally don't think they do need any speeding up. It's once a year, who cares if it runs four hours? Maybe it is because I always watch the Oscar's with a group of people, but I've never found them too "screamingly dull".

Unless it is a change I make, I don't like change.

I think it's retarded that for the main awards there gonna have all the nominees stand on-stage to congratulate the winner.It's gonna look stupid when you have a platform full of upset loser's trying to congratulate the winner's.

Is this something new they're doing this year at the Oscars? If so, I agree...let the "gracious" losers stay in their seats trying to look like they don't care that they lost!

On a related topic, I just read that WE (Women's Entertainment) has Sandra Bernhard doing a live show during the Oscar commercials! It's called "Live from the Ladies Room" and the gist is that you tune in to them while ABC goes to commercials and they'll be talking about the clothes, who's winning, who's losing etc. I think it sounds pretty funny, and if nothing else, it will keep me awake during the LOOOONG Oscars show!! Enjoy the big night! GO HILARY!!

Bad Morther****er
Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Which nominee do you think Eternal Sunshine could have replaced? I really enjoyed ETOTSM but the other films up for the Oscar are simply better movies.
Sideways. God I hate that damn movie. But as I've already bashed this movie in the Movies you hate but others like tread. I'll move on to next movie on my list. Ray could have been replaced. While Foxx was great in his role, on the whole the movie was choppy and inconsistant. It seemed too long yet ironicly incomplete and rush. IMO both Eternal Sunshine and Kinsey were better that Ray.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Lets put a smile on that block
Over here in the Ol U of K, for some stupid stupid reason, theyve decided to keep the Oscars just to the population of the country that has Sky Television, so us Students dont even get to wacth the Oscars! It Sucks! If not for the wonder of the recordable DVD i wouldnt be seeing them this year at all

Now the Oscars are over what do people think?