The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Actually... I take that back. Casey Affleck's greatest performance is in SNL in their mock Dunkin Donuts commercial. Great stuff:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
While there are movies focusing on messages like that for the sake of it, Moonlight is probably the least "gay" gay movie I've seen out of the few that I have seen. The movie isn't the best, I agree. But whatever political motives are in the movie are almost always undermined by realistic drama and focus on direction and acting.
Well, the least "gay" gay movie is Some Like It Hot, which how it got around the Haye's code at the time, 1959, I'll never know. Also some great, GREAT stuff going on in Queen Christina which is one of my top 100 films of all time IF I ever make that list.

Moonlight, for my mileage is just bad writing, in fact so bad and so forced, that I can't believe it's not motivated by something beyond narrative, as I'm sure Barry Jenkins is a much better writer than to have a conclusion like that in a film. Like I said, I absolutely LOVED the opening act, the second was decent but not as good as where it started and then when Chiron comes back as an adult... it just shits on anything the film had going for it. For a film that is telling a dark, gritty, realistic story, then to undermine itself like that, it's soooo disingenuous and not representative to how things often go and how people really behave. The whole "I'm a drug dealer and waited for you for over a decade" thing was just so phony and insulting. This may be the first comparison between these two movies, but a film that I adore that Moonlight was reminiscent of that entered my mind when watching it was Splendor in the Grass in how the Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood characters, as much as we WANT them to be together and to live happily ever after, we know that isn't life and that the film is true to the narrative it was telling by having them not be together and be with other people and having moved on. It's heartbreaking, but genuine.

The last act is what I was referring to. It's like the script added a contrived, "I haven't been with another man since I was with you" plot point in there to overly force home the idea that he wants to dispel the promiscuous gay black man stereotype. That's fine, IF your story/script has earned it, but in this case it comes out of no where. There's nothing to connect the second story to the third story, so he's using the film to critique stereotypes rather than actually tell a story - as such it comes across as politically motivated rather than narrative motivated. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. The point being, Moonlight is bad storytelling.
But it doesn't come out of nowhere.

Chiron has a single sexual experience with another boy (and not even sex), and that leads to that same boy participating in a physical attack against him and standing by while others hurt him.

I think it absolutely makes sense that someone who experienced something like that might decide that it wasn't worth it. So he puts on the costume of the gangster alpha male.

I know some slutty gays, but I also know gay people who didn't even date someone of the same sex until they were in their 20s, much less engage in sexy times. While it's definitely true that gay hookup culture exists, not every gay man participates in it. And people who are emotionally sensitive---which Chiron definitely is--are in my experience the least likely to participate.

Being his true self has repeatedly resulted in Chiron being hurt. So at a certain point he walls himself off and creates an image and a persona that won't get him hurt. I don't think we're supposed to see Chiron as noble or principled for not having been in other relationships. We're supposed to see the tragedy of a young man so twisted up that he's ended up sacrificing happiness for safety. He's a man in his mid-20s who hasn't had a real romantic and/or sexual relationship since a single kiss and handjob on a beach. It's not noble. It's sad. Same thing with the drug dealing.

All these arguments against Moonlight are precisely the arguments that I think the film successfully pushes back against; the efforts to put people OR films in little boxes... a Black gay man, a drug dealer, a gay movie, a coming of age movie... while the film is more interested in showing us that there are a thousand layers and facets to everybody. The film is more than a "gay" movie, whatever that means, and Chiron is more than a Black, gay, drug dealer... and whenever other people – characters and the audience – try to put him in little boxes, he pushes against that. Juan, a Black drug dealer, is the only one that ends up being a somewhat positive paternal figure to him, and he is the only one who challenges him to find himself and define himself ("You gotta decide for yourself who you're going to be. Can't let nobody make that decision for you") and through the course of the story, Chiron both embraces and challenges every stereotype there is about Black people, about gay people, and about supposed "tough guys". In that sense, there is a direct correlation between the events of the first two acts and what we see in the third act. I really don't know how one can miss that when you really pay attention to the film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Moonlight a few years ago, but I didn't really care much for the movie. I wouldn't say that I disliked it, but it was just okay, and I just didn't see what everyone else seemed to love about it. I haven't had any desire to rewatch it since then.

I didn't watch The Favourite because I read somewhere that there was something bad that happened to a bunny rabbit, and I didn't want to see that. I've never researched it to find out if that's true or not, but unless I find out that it's definitely not true, I have no plans to ever watch the movie.

I didn't watch The Favourite because I read somewhere that there was something bad that happened to a bunny rabbit, and I didn't want to see that. I've never researched it to find out if that's true or not, but unless I find out that it's definitely not true, I have no plans to ever watch the movie.
Favourite bunny spoilers
WARNING: spoilers below
There's a scene where Emma Stone's character steps on one of the Queen's rabbits. The rabbits are pets and are just hopping freely around the room. She is doing it on purpose to hurt it, and you hear it give a little squeal. The sound is upsetting. But she does not kill it. She gets called away and we see the rabbit hop away.

I found it upsetting as an animal lover, but not terrible.

Are you familiar with the site Does the Dog Die? It has spoilers for things like animal abuse (and like 50 other categories of content).

But it doesn't come out of nowhere.

Chiron has a single sexual experience with another boy (and not even sex), and that leads to that same boy participating in a physical attack against him and standing by while others hurt him.

I think it absolutely makes sense that someone who experienced something like that might decide that it wasn't worth it. So he puts on the costume of the gangster alpha male.

I know some slutty gays, but I also know gay people who didn't even date someone of the same sex until they were in their 20s, much less engage in sexy times. While it's definitely true that gay hookup culture exists, not every gay man participates in it. And people who are emotionally sensitive---which Chiron definitely is--are in my experience the least likely to participate.

Being his true self has repeatedly resulted in Chiron being hurt. So at a certain point he walls himself off and creates an image and a persona that won't get him hurt. I don't think we're supposed to see Chiron as noble or principled for not having been in other relationships. We're supposed to see the tragedy of a young man so twisted up that he's ended up sacrificing happiness for safety. He's a man in his mid-20s who hasn't had a real romantic and/or sexual relationship since a single kiss and handjob on a beach. It's not noble. It's sad. Same thing with the drug dealing.
:fresh: :fresh: :fresh:

mark f

I couldn't find any ratings/reviews mark f wrote of The Favourite.

Neither film made mark f's ballot.

The only thing I could find that Mark wrote about The Favourite was in a thread titled "The Favourite" about the movie. He gave his family's thoughts on the movie, but he didn't mention if he saw it at that time.

My wife and daughter went to a sneak preview of this just after the first trailer was released. It wasn't complete and needed some sound and music. They filled out lengthy questionnaires about what was needed and how to accomplish it.
They thought it still had deadpan parts but was more blatantly funny. The cinematography (including fisheye lens), sets and costumes were gorgeous. The ending was semi-predictable but odd in the actual filming and editing.- they thought that might be redone somehow. They both liked it.

The only thing I could find that Mark wrote about The Favourite was in a thread titled "The Favourite" about the movie. He gave his family's thoughts on the movie, but he didn't mention if he saw it at that time.
Aye, thanks for sharing

Favourite bunny spoilers
WARNING: spoilers below
There's a scene where Emma Stone's character steps on one of the Queen's rabbits. The rabbits are pets and are just hopping freely around the room. She is doing it on purpose to hurt it, and you hear it give a little squeal. The sound is upsetting. But she does not kill it. She gets called away and we see the rabbit hop away.

I found it upsetting as an animal lover, but not terrible.

Are you familiar with the site Does the Dog Die? It has spoilers for things like animal abuse (and like 50 other categories of content).

Thanks for the information. I'm an animal lover, and I have trouble watching when any animals get hurt, but rabbits are my favorite animal, so it hurts the most when I see anything bad happen to them.

I've never heard of that site, but I'll definitely bookmark it for future movie info. Thank you.

Thanks for the information. I'm an animal lover, and I have trouble watching when any animals get hurt, but rabbits are my favorite animal, so it hurts the most when I see anything bad happen to them.

I've never heard of that site, but I'll definitely bookmark it for future movie info. Thank you.
I totally understand. If you know that it's coming, it's actually pretty obvious when it starts to happen, so you could mute or look away. Again, it doesn't die.

And Does the Dog Die? is really my go-to. I have a few things that I just can't watch when I've had a rough day, so I use it to screen for animal cruelty, sexual assault, and child abuse.

My favorite thing is when people put comments and editorialize, like "No the dog doesn't die. Her name is Buttons and she's the best dog!"

I totally understand. If you know that it's coming, it's actually pretty obvious when it starts to happen, so you could mute or look away. Again, it doesn't die.
I do that a lot while watching movies. Anytime I think something bad is going to happen that I don't want to see, I decide that it's a good time to leave the room for a minute to get a drink or a snack, or maybe just a quick breath of fresh air.

And Does the Dog Die? is really my go-to. I have a few things that I just can't watch when I've had a rough day, so I use it to screen for animal cruelty, sexual assault, and child abuse.

My favorite thing is when people put comments and editorialize, like "No the dog doesn't die. Her name is Buttons and she's the best dog!"
It sounds like it's going to become a go-to site for me too. Thanks again.

The truth is in here
For me the important part is that it's fictional. If it's done with special effects, no matter how gruesome I will respect it as part of an artistic work. However, directors who decide to abuse real animals in the name of "art" repulse me. It's thankfully mostly a relic after the 80's, but it does hurt to even have some classics affected by this horrible practice. I really want to watch Pink Flamingos for example, but I'm dreading the infamous chicken scene.

I forgot the opening line.
62. Moonlight - I've only seen this film once, and while that was enough to get Manchester by the Sea onto my list I want to see Moonlight again, despite enjoying it and thinking it was a really great film. It should feature in a top 100 of the decade, and I was very sure it wouldn't need my help getting here. As I'm sure someone has already noted, it's the 4th Best Picture winner to feature here, which means I'm surprised at the number that have made this Countdown. Parasite and Birdman will probably feature, and The Shape of Water, Argo and 12 Years a Slave are still a chance. I very much doubt Green Book will feature.

61. The Favourite - This was on my list, then it was cut, then I found room for it again and put it back, then it was cut again...this went on and on until my final submission, and unfortunately it ended up off the list. It was a damn hard film for me to leave behind, because I like it an awful lot and I've seen it numerous times. Definitely my favourite film not on my list - and one that I was sure was going to feature. I guess I'll settle for mid-countdown. Olivia Colman is awesome of course, but so are Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz in this battle for royal stature and favoritism from a fickle and dim-witted queen. There are no rules to this game, which is what makes it so tense and exciting. Great movie - love it.

Seen 32/40

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I haven't seen Moonlight but, again, maybe some day.

I've seen The Favourite and really loved it. All three actresses are excellent in it and I found it to be very funny. I especially liked the ending where
WARNING: "" spoilers below
"the Queen turns the tables."

No votes from this round.

List so far:
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

Once again I'm left picking at the scraps (not a complaint, this is fun not life or death)...
60. Fruitvale Station
59. The Wind Rises

62. Kinda surprised Moonlight was this low. I thought it would have been top half for sure, maybe even top quarter.

One thing that caught my eye in this discussion on the film was the phrase "I'm a drug dealer and I've waited over a decade for you". Chiron doesn't become a drug dealer by accident. No, the whole thing is a consequence of the first act where little Chiron finds himself protected and nurtured by kindly drug dealer Juan while hiding from those kids chasing after him. It's like the father/son relationship he never had. Juan (and his girlfriend Teresa) shows him the parental sort of love he is missing from his mother Paula who is battling a crack addiction and doesn't accept Chiron for being gay. As a result of that, Chiron is able to open up and express his issues with his mother and be who he is as a person. I think you can tell that Chiron as dealer feels similar to us watching Juan in his first minutes of the film when he deals. Like father, like son?

As for the third act:

WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
I don't think Chiron heads back to that diner where Kevin works (and who has called him because of that song he heard) if he doesn't have that conversation with his mother who tells him that she loves him and accepts him for being who he is. Getting the love he was missing from her, I think was the key in convincing him to go to the diner and checking out what happened to Kevin. Although things are quite different considering Kevin has a child now, their relationship comes full circle as well from the beach to his attack by him and his peers to the scene at Kevin's apartment.

I guess what I'm saying is that the actions and emotions of the third act build based on the actions and emotions of the first two. There are no accidents as everything builds on itself. Although I should have put this on the list, at least it made my honorable mentions.

61. The Favourite...haven't seen it.

Tomorrow, I will update my list and the odds that my entries have on making it.