Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)

A true hidden gem from Spain. An English couple arrives to small island on the coast of Spain but all the adults seem to be missing from the village. Very much like Night of the Living Dead but with evil children instead of zombies.

Wonder (2018)

The Butterfly Effect (2007)

Ira
de noser poder
Ocean’s Eleven - 7/10

Always nice to have on in the background

You Were Never Really Here (2018)

I had high expectations going in, given the feedback I've heard from others, but this let me down a bit. I still enjoyed the movie, and it's tense feeling throughout. However, there wasn't much of a rise and fall of that feeling. I was expecting the climax of the movie to be a bit more emotionally impacting, but it didn't do much for me. Remarkable performance from Phoenix.

Welcome to the human race...
Well, it's just me then.
I figure it's still rating a movie if you actually write in text whether you like or dislike it since you're still imparting your estimation of a movie's quality even without attaching a number to it.

Monsieur Verdoux -

eh it's a Chaplin movie I guess

I guess I feel the opposite. In terms of action movies with 'cutting edge' special effects, this movie still holds up for me. I still feel like the fight sequences are entertaining, the music works, the look of the film still feels cool and I am engaged in the story.

It's funny to me that the sequels, which weren't regarded highly when they came out, seem more outdated today than this film. The Neo vs 100 Smith fight looks goofy, everything in Zion is boring, confusing ideological monologues to make it seem more important.

The intrigue is there for me and sometimes I feel like I'm discovering the world for the first time when I dive into the world the Wachowski's have created. Deserving of the IMDB score in my opinion, it changed movie making.

Yes, in terms of historical significance, the original film is definitely a milestone. And you're right about for the sequels. The pretentiousness meter went way into the red with those two.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018, Anthony Russo, Joe Russo)

I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it! Worth it just for the dazzling visual spectacle alone.
Great entertainment.

The Favourite (2018) - 8/10. Mostly of the ladies category in the Oscars wrapped up i would assume.

Love Simon (2018) - 7/10. Wonderful and a happy surprise. Great music and fun.

Eight Grade (2018) - 6.5/10. Very nice. The young girl might have a very good future.

The Old Man and The Gun (2018) - 6.5/10. Fun story. But nothing too spectacular.

Private Life (2018) - 7/10. Very very nice and heartwarming story. Well acted. Netflix should focus on these rather than Adam Sandler.

Mandy (2018) - 3.5/10. Saw this on some underrated movie list. Awful.

Sorry to Bother You (2018) - 7/10. Funny, sarcastic and good movie.

Support the Girls (2018) - 5/10. Decent but a bit dull. Regina Hall was great.

You Were Never Really Here (2018) - 5/10. Overhyped. Not bad, not great.

Under the Tree (2017) - 6.5/10. My first Icelandic movie. Good movie.

Revenge (2017) - 4.5/10. Nothing special, run of the mill revenge movie.

Puzzle (2018) - 6/10. Heart-warming and decent.

Hereditary (2018) - 6.8/10. Wonderfully acted a few gruesome shots, but all in all a good horror movie.

Unsane (2018) - 6/10. Watched it coz it was shot on an iPhone. Intrigued by that aspect. Messy but a decent watch. Claire Foy was good.

Gold (2018) - 5/10. Historically inaccurate from what i read. So loses points there. Decent at best.

Gemini (2017) - 4.5/10. Slow, boring, predictable.

Death of Stalin (2017) - 7/10. A happy surprise, wonderfully acted, good movie.

Teen Tiants Go! The movie (2018) - 6.5/10. Good one time watch. But nothing special.

Lean on Pete (2018) - 6/10. Slow but good.

Thoroughbreds (2017) - 6/10. Slow burn for sure. Ending was good.

Disobedience (2018) - 5/10. Nothing special. Just some good lesbian action.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018) - 4/10. Nothing to say about this one. Boy Erased did a lot better.

A Prayer Before Dawn (2018) - 6.5/10. Great story, but just not quite gripping enough.

Blackkklansman (2018) - 7/10. Is this story true or fiction? Whatever it was, it was fun.

The Cakemaker (2018) - 7.2/10. Great, touching story. Good stuff.

A Quite Place (2018) - 7.5/10. Great concept, loved the acting. Great movie. But was wondering, how did they fart for so many years?

American Animals (2018) - 6.5/10. Good show. Happy surprise this one.

Upgrade (2018) - 7/10. This was a stunner. Although I would say they could have picked a better lead, he was good but not great.

There might be a few i missed, will post when i remember!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Vice - 7.5/10
Christian Bale was really good. It's funny, because I just saw him in "American Psycho" and its one of the more memorable characters in cinema (I think). As an American, I kinda had to see this. It's about Dick Cheney!

I didn't know he could gargle listerine! I also can't imagine him going "wooooooo" as a young Christian Bale in a bar.

I just hope someone makes one on Obama, who became Cheney-lite, extending the warfare state and other not-so-liberal things. I highly doubt this guy is going to make it. There was a mention of Trump, and just a brief swearing-in of Obama, which shows this guy isn't only partisan, but he's dishonest. He knows who the target audience is. Shame.

I did think the movie did humanize Cheney. The director actually gave Cheney the benefit of the doubt over his gay daughter, even going so far to say he wouldn't go for President because of the dirty that would have been dug up. And it showed a family how has received a lot of news, considering Cheney got Dick's only House seat, and the "I believe marriage is between a man and woman" between the sisters, who possibly still don't talk... The difference is that Cheney's history is public, and people (myself included after I post this) can search. Of course that comes to power.

Unregistered User

The Magician (1958)

Stuck inbetween Wild Strawberries and The Virgin Spring, The Magician never really captured my attention. This one took about half the running time before I really started to enjoy it and I couldnt call it an entertaining film. It does benefit from a strong ending and Bergman regulars Max Von Sydow and the gorgeous Ingrid Thulin are great, as usual.

+

The Guardian (1990, rewatch) – 5.5/10

Interesting that I'm pretty sure the type in the title sequence is the same from the end of Sorcerer (there it works extremely well).

What struck me this time was how much better the film becomes once Jenny Seagrove arrives; she's extremely effective. It's just a pity that there's a good film in here let down by some weak acting and scripting, and the music isn't that clever. Some really weird choices:

WARNING: spoilers below
When the parents wake up to the sound of the crying baby and neither of them want to go and see to him – I was laughing when it turned out that the cot was right next to the bed. The lazy buggers!

The scene with the gang puzzled me as well. Why does the tree allow Camilla to be injured when it could have easily dismembered her assailants before this?

The confusion over placing Camilla's accent – surely the most familiar type of English accent known to man?

And finally the fact that Camilla – considering how beguiling and perfect she seems – is still only the parents' second choice. Maybe the accent was bugging them too much?

Incredible also to read that M. R. James' The Ash Tree was an influence as the script was being tinkered with. Something I've just been watching again over Christmas .

Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)

A true hidden gem from Spain. An English couple arrives to small island on the coast of Spain but all the adults seem to be missing from the village. Very much like Night of the Living Dead but with evil children instead of zombies.

A strange one for sure.

The Long Good Friday (1980)

Film about gangsters and aspiration in the UK in the oncoming love-in with the US with Thatch in power. Hoskins is pretty incredible as Harold, the man who wants more, and bigger, but takes his eye off more immediate and closer problems. All the acting is great and the story-line is very plausible. This adds to the gravitas of the movie, y'know, not a 'Essex Boys' ("you tart", "you filth", "you toilet") gangster wannabe film for 12 year olds. Great set-pieces and an ending that has stuck with me since the 1st time I saw it years ago. 9/10

7.5/10 - Loved every bit of the movie. The comic timing, the script etc. Vigo Mortensen and Maharshala Ali were both great. Sweet and lovely story. But it just might miss out on the best picture as there are better contenders out there.