Quote of the Day

Tools    

Here eez a qvote from an old friend ov mine, datink back to ze Spaneesh Ceevil Var, circa 1936. I veel qvote eet verbateem vizout ze funky accent zo zat everyvone can underztand mitout ze problem:

"You will win, because of your brute strength, but you will not win us over, because, to win us over, you would need to convince us. And to convince us, you would need precisely what you do not have: reason, righteousness, and the right to fight."

- Miguel de Unamuno, October 12, 1936, University of Salamanca
(re. the Spanish Civil War)

Ze Zpaneesh Zeevil Var vas qvite an eenteresteeng moment een heestory, ven many great writers, like George Orwell, Ernest Hemingway, John Dos Passos, etc., reesked zeir lives to fight against ze Fascist armies ov General Franco een Spain, vheech vere supplied by ze Germans und ze Italians. Eet ees fascinateeng to read George Orwell's writeengs on ze Zpaneesh Zeevil Var, but, ov course, zeence I expeerienced eet virzt hand, I don't need to read about eet (I am eemmortal, did you know?).

Anyvay, nize talkeenk to you. I haf to run now!

Bye, bye!

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be rather a sort of amusement; this will better enable you to find out the natural bent of the child.
Plato

if you want to be seen, stand up
if you want to be heard, speak up
if you want to be appreciated, shut up

Genius, in one respect, is like gold - numbers of persons are constantly writing about both, who have neither. ~ C. C. Colton

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

BANNED
"Man who sit on rose bush soon get the point." - Confucius

"Woman with sharp tongue should keep big mouth shut." - Mohammed

What? Where? When? ....

.... Vinnie Barbarino
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

"Among individuals, and among nations the respect for other people's rights is peace" --Benito Juarez

yippeeyiey motha f*cker - bruce willis
u gotta love him

I'm going to try to do 3 a day.

"I want something EMBARRASSING! Something sexual! Little boys, midgets, that sort of thing! Cows! I don't give a g*dd@mn!" - Sam Elliott, in The Contender

"I would like to see a start made toward something alternative in America, because I just can't imagine anything else where we would put up with having only two choices. Would you put up with two choices of car? Or two choices of soap or toothpaste or anything? It's just not good enough anymore, and it's certainly not the way any other democracies run their game." - Bill Maher

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry

Originally Posted by firegod
I'm going to try to do 3 a day.

"I want something EMBARRASSING! Something sexual! Little boys, midgets, that sort of thing! Cows! I don't give a g*dd@mn!" - Sam Elliott, in The Contender

"I would like to see a start made toward something alternative in America, because I just can't imagine anything else where we would put up with having only two choices. Would you put up with two choices of car? Or two choices of soap or toothpaste or anything? It's just not good enough anymore, and it's certainly not the way any other democracies run their game." - Bill Maher

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
If I weren't already involved in half a dozen arguments on here, I'd probably point out the tremendous flaws in the second and third quotes.

When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong. -- Arthur C. Clarke.

Originally Posted by Yoda
If I weren't already involved in half a dozen arguments on here, I'd probably point out the tremendous flaws in the second and third quotes.
Ooh, yeah; I'm going to drive you bonkers on a daily basis!

Edit: I have a pretty good idea what your stance on the third quote is; I'd be real interested in knowing what you have to say on the second. Sure, it has flaws, and I'd like to hear (see, actually) your ideas on the subject (whenever or if ever you have the time).

I would like to know peoples thoughts on this on, as a non beleiver in god I am interested. Especially Yoda because I value it where religion is concerned.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by sunfrog
When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong. -- Arthur C. Clarke.
Bah - he probably said that in the fifties when science was getting into it's full "religious" application [and he was one of the head priests] (come to think of it, he's the only one out of the ones i listed on the is-nebbit-god thread who didn't actually criticise bad technological application as a rule - like i mistakenly cliamed he did. All the others did tho )

As for the Yoda-goading () - think you might have your work cut out on the last one big man - t'other is flawed but plays to an interesting score . Time, time, time eh?

Maybe the scientists can invent some more time for us? What do you thing froggy? (or is it monkey? Or ceramic-pottery? I'm never quite sure )

I have a pretty good idea what your stance on the third quote is; I'd be real interested in knowing what you have to say on the second. Sure, it has flaws, and I'd like to hear (see, actually) your ideas on the subject (whenever or if ever you have the time).
Well, aside from the fact that there ARE other parties to vote for, I'd say the main problem is that Maher is equating every politician with every other member of their party. But as we all know, there's an entire spectrum of beliefs within each camp. Terms like "Republican" and "Democrat" encompass hundreds of subtle ideologicaly distinctions. We have far more than "two choices" -- we've merely categorized our options to make them more managable.

Originally Posted by nebbit
I would like to know peoples thoughts on this on, as a non beleiver in god I am interested. Especially Yoda because I value it where religion is concerned.
The quote assumes that God "creates faulty humans," when in reality God merely created humans with a will of their own. You can give birth to a child, and raise it, and teach it, but ultimately you can't stop it from making its own choices, even if they're the wrong ones. Roddenberry was presupposing that we're just some Deity's marionettes, and not responsible for our own actions.

This actually ties in with a debate fire and I had awhile back about materialism and how it in turn necessitates a belief in fatalism.

Originally Posted by Yoda
The quote assumes that God "creates faulty humans," when in reality God merely created humans with a will of their own. You can give birth to a child, and raise it, and teach it, but ultimately you can't stop it from making its own choices, even if they're the wrong ones. Roddenberry was presupposing that we're just some Deity's marionettes, and not responsible for our own actions.
I understand the free will thing, just a few clarifications, what about babies that are born with deformities etc, is there a reason for that or is that part of the "blind faith" issue where you do not question the will of God, as we don't know what his big plan was for these babies? or people that have been assaulted and raped, is that free will, I wonder if the victims agree.