Tools    

plunkett & macleane

The Death Merchant

The Honeymoon Kilers

Black Mama, White Mama

Barb Wire

Black Snake Moan

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Hope you like The Beyond this time, HK. Also, Clue is awesome.

Master of My Domain
Big rep for Clue. There's a reason why I put it on my 100 in between so many classics.

I think I saw Clue when I was a kid, but I can't be sure.

The only thing there I know I've not seen before is Club Dread, which I thought would be crap, but a couple of people have told me I might like it and, as it was only £1.50 in a charity shop, I gave it a shot.

The Death Merchant
Just went to Streetlight and saw this for 5 bucks. Considered buying it but didn't because I don't know anything about it really. Any good?

I've not watched it yet. It was a quid and I read the back and this is what I saw.

"Maniacal nuclear arms dealer Ivan Yates
(by this point I was already liking what I was hearing. This sounds stupid to the clichéd max)
known in the inner circle as The Death Merchant, has become the most dangerous man in the world.
(OK, by now I'm just reading for confirmation. I already think I'm buying this)

But when a missile guidance micro-chip, that could start World War III
(Ker-ching! You've made a sale)
is snatched from his evil grasp,
(seriously, I'm already buying this. You can stop now)
the crazed terrorist becomes even more lethal."

In the second and last paragraph, it just builds to a crescendo of 80's goodness.

In a desperate attempt to regain the chip, Yates and his sultry henchwoman
(Honestly, I may still be reading, but I'm sold. You don't have to go any further)
launch a sadistic wave of chaos and murder aimed at top government officials.
(Can you make this any more clichéd? Really? What's that? You can? Oh, please, continue)

Only one inexperienced young federal agent, his beautiful girlfriend and a crusty ex-government assassin
(Wow. You were right. You could make it more clichéd. I doff my hat to you, sir.)
can hope to fight the deadly madman and save the world from certain nuclear devastation.
And that, my friend, is how you sell a £1 film to HK.

The Honeymoon Kilers

Black Mama, White Mama
Hey HK. Is that edition of The Honeymoon Killers remastered?

I have the budget Prism disc which has really tinny audio and would love to upgrade. It's a great little film.

Black Mama White Mama is another one of those Filipino shot exploiters that was made around the same time as Jack Hill's Big Bird Cage, and Big Doll House. I can never remember which one has the immortal line from Grier 'That's miss n*gger to you!'. Damn I need to pull out my copies and watch them again.

I don't know is the short answer. It's by Slam Dunk Media, if that helps? I doubt it is, but there's a Criterion edition if you're interested.

I've not seen Black Mama, White Mama for about 20 years. I don't even know if I could find my video of it now. That's why I bought this for a quid.

I've not watched it yet. It was a quid and I read the back and this is what I saw.

(by this point I was already liking what I was hearing. This sounds stupid to the clichéd max)

(OK, by now I'm just reading for confirmation. I already think I'm buying this)

(Ker-ching! You've made a sale)

(seriously, I'm already buying this. You can stop now)

In the second and last paragraph, it just builds to a crescendo of 80's goodness.

(Honestly, I may still be reading, but I'm sold. You don't have to go any further)

(Can you make this any more clichéd? Really? What's that? You can? Oh, please, continue)

(Wow. You were right. You could make it more clichéd. I doff my hat to you, sir.)

And that, my friend, is how you sell a £1 film to HK.
Very nice.

By the way, I was checking out some of the movies on the grindhouse set I got. Check this out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084573/

That is, without a doubt, the most appealing movie on the set.

I doubt it is, but there's a Criterion edition if you're interested.
Yeah I know but Criterion is so bloody expensive. I like The Honeymoon Killers but don't feel like I need a super-duper-pimped-edition. Just one that looks and sounds better than the Prism release. Oh well.

Haven't seen most of the films in your most recent batch, but big thumbs up for Black Snake Moan.

Absolutely love that movie. Former top ten film for me. I'd probably rank it #12 now.

I bought Black Snake Moan with you in mind, MV. I did record it but didn't get round to watching it and had to delete it. As this was a quid I thought I'd get it. If nothing else, it'll give us a commentary at some point.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
The Death Merchant sounds like massive fun. Loved your inner monologue. Curious to see what you think of it when you get round to watching it. You surprised me with Ten Commandments though, didn't think you were a fan of this big biblical epics

I bought Black Snake Moan with you in mind, MV. I did record it but didn't get round to watching it and had to delete it. As this was a quid I thought I'd get it. If nothing else, it'll give us a commentary at some point.
I'd definitely be up for commentary on that one anytime I'm available.

You surprised me with Ten Commandments though, didn't think you were a fan of this big biblical epics
I don't think I like any of them.... With this one exception. I don't know why this one worked with me or if it will again, but I've seen it once all the way through and liked it and caught bits of it a couple of times and watched for a while. I figured for £1.50 I might as well give it a go.... Rather than wait for the inevitable TV showing next Easter.