Movies that were a waste of time and film

Tools    

Story about my mother: The Castrating Zionist
Honestly, if I could erase the man's entire career from existence I would.
I really liked Following and Inception, though DeCaprio could have been less....DeCaprio at some points, mostly when he gets angry.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I really liked Following and Inception, though DeCaprio could have been less....DeCaprio at some points, mostly when he gets angry.
Following is okay I suppose, but hardly remarkable. As for Inception, it's one of the most pathetic excuses for a film I have ever seen.

I mean, we're talking about a story involving entering people's dreams, a realm where anything is possible, and the best Nolan could come up with were mundane settings like hotels and snow-covered bases, and gravity shifts? If this is any indication of what Nolan himself experiences during REM sleep, he must be one boring guy. The man has no vision, and don't get me started on the ridiculous, arbitrary "dream rules" he concocted to create artificial suspense, most of which aren't even original (The Matrix anyone?) Furthermore, aside from the protagonist, everyone is one-dimensional and bland. The only memorable parts of the entire movie are the bits about his dead wife, which were somewhat intriguing.

How anti-creative dorks like Christopher Nolan and James Cameron have so many followers is beyond me.

Yikes, tell us what ya' really think. I'm pretty sure the intensity of that opinion is at least partially a reflection of people's reaction to the film, rather than the film itself, as dullness doesn't usually inspire such vitriol. Anyway, I disagree with, like, nine-tenths of that, but we've had the "why couldn't the dreams be more creative" argument a number of times, most recently here (and picking up again here, on the nextp age), where you can see a few of us go back and forth on the same topic.

Shorter version: some missed potential, surely, but the story itself contains an internally consistent explanation for the rigid structure, and films that try to recreate the nature of dreaming sometimes end up having to sacrifice everything else, because the sensation isn't very conducive to storytelling or, you know, having any idea what's going on. So what seems like an innocent enough claim--hey, why couldn't it be a little crazier?--is actually suggesting that an entirely different film be made from the ground up. And while we can certainly discuss why a film couldn't do this or that differently, there's no real answer to "why couldn't this film actually be an entirely different film?"

I'm with you on Cameron, though. Latter-day Cameron, that is.

DeCaprio could have been less....DeCaprio at some points, mostly when he gets angry.

Every DeCaprio movie....

haha. nice collection of crappy movies

Just another movie Guru
Dude, where's my car.

This is the BIGGEST waste of time and film. The movie's entire direction and plot is based around it not actually having a story or plot.

Dude, where's my car.

This is the BIGGEST waste of time and film. The movie's entire direction and plot is based around it not actually having a story or plot.

+1.

"why couldn't this film actually be an entirely different film?"
These are my thoughts exactly though. I simply hate the way Nolan writes and directs, and the fact that nothing he does is the least bit inspired or original makes it all the worse.
I'm with you on Cameron, though. Latter-day Cameron, that is.
I love The Terminator, it's one of the most tightly wound, exciting thrillers out there. But everything Aliens on is garbage.

Looks like Prestige picked a bad week to return.

But everything Aliens on is garbage.
Ah, look. HK has a new friend.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Since when could Nolan do anything other than copy and paste directly from the comics? Also what's with the ADD directing? Just keep the camera still for five seconds, jesus christ.

And the man prides himself on being self-taught, as if it doesn't show...

It's okay for him to go have fun making his little puzzle-box movies (or some other toy whose inherent purpose is to be solved, and nothing more.) as long as everyone doesn't keep insisting him as a serious/great filmmaker. It takes more than a misleading script or political statements (though they were pretty generic or purposely ambiguous, glad filmmakers want bipartisanship) to make great films.

I just saw a Cronenberg interview in which when questioned about Nolan's films being considered high film art, he suggested comparing it to 8 1/2. Awesome.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Since when could Nolan do anything other than copy and paste directly from the comics?
Ummm, have you read any Batman comics? Nolan changed Bane's entire origin as well as his nationality, completely changed Talia Al Ghul's origin, played Bruce Wayne/Batman as so out of character it was embarrassing, and what he wrote bore NO resemblance to the story ("Knightfall") that it was sort of based on.

I wish he'd copied and pasted directly from the comics...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

And the man prides himself on being self-taught, as if it doesn't show...
Heh.
I just saw a Cronenberg interview in which when questioned about Nolan's films being considered high film art, he suggested comparing it to 8 1/2. Awesome.
Which of his films was he comparing to 8 1/2? Do you have a link?
Ummm, have you read any Batman comics? Nolan changed Bane's entire origin as well as his nationality, completely changed Talia Al Ghul's origin, played Bruce Wayne/Batman as so out of character it was embarrassing, and what he wrote bore NO resemblance to the story ("Knightfall") that it was sort of based on.

I wish he'd copied and pasted directly from the comics...
TO be honest, I'm basing my comment on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, as I have not seen The Dark Knight Rises and I have no intention to.

The impression I got from the first two is that Nolan read Batman: Year One, as well as The Long Halloween and Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale, and decided to mix them all together and film them. Add in The Joker done in the style of Brubaker and Mahnke's The Man Who Laughs for TDK, and there you have it. Well, without any of the charm or character insight that is.

Disaster Movie, man that movie is a disaster. Date Movie. Gigli. Catwoman. There are many more which I can't think of right now.

Highlander - The source

Mannequin

The big problem with Dune is that it's boring. Despite this, if Dune's the worst film you've seen, you need to see more bad films.
I actually consider Dune the worst because nothing works: everything looks and feels forced and fake. The film is never boring, in fact, it is awesome in its badness and is one of my top 100 favorite films, because it is so bad, so bad, so bad, that it became excellent!

THANK YOU!!! It completely gauls me that Tyler Perry has a Hollywood career at all and I think everything he has done is a waste. I think the characters he creates perpetuate the worst black stereotypes out there and I find about 98% of his work to be beyond offensive.

Battlefield Earth
Show girls
Paul
Max Payne
Gangs of New York
Swordfish
The Happening
Lady in the water
All the fast and furious films
All the transformers films
All Roland Emmerich films

To name just a few.

Captain of #yoloswag
Every DeCaprio movie....
Oh come on. Every single one? This broad sweeping statement either comes from the fact that you HATE DiCaprio, and therefore generalize. OR, you have actually seen every movie he's been in and hate them all...

...I doubt the latter is true. It's fine to hate Leo, but maybe grin and bear in some films because they are still good films even if he's in them.

I'm the exact opposite, I adore him in every way. Even if you don't though, Inception?!?! I mean come one, Inception was amazing.