R.I.P. Ivan Reitman

Tools    

Awwww. That sucks.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Just gonna reiterate what I just put on Twitter...

In a state of shock at the moment.
I was born in 82, and along with TMNT, Ghostbusters was my entire childhood.

All the toys and games, bedsheets, wallpaper...

Along with the 4 main cast, Ivan was almost a surrogate father.
He and the boys brought me all the good memories from my childhood, especially from age 3 to 8.
All the good times with my friends... we didn't play army with sticks-for-guns... we were busting ghosts. I was always Egon because I was the only one who wore glasses
This sucks.

Whoa. That's actually really freaky for me. A couple months ago, I had just watched a few of his movies recently on a marathon, notably Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Stripes and Cannibal Girls.

Damn, R.I.P.

I don't think it's overstating his influence to say that he reshaped the comedy genre in the '80s, both as a director and producer. But I think an indication of how good he actually was as a director is how many movies have tried to replicate the Ghostbusters formula and how many of them come up short when compared to the O.G. But I think my most watched of his films would be Twins, thanks to having it on VHS when I was a kid. "I did nothing, the pavement was his enemy."

Also, I knew he was producer on Animal House and Heavy Metal but only just realized he was also producer on Shivers?

So sad. I really enjoyed his output in film and even have several of his movies on DVD. He was an awesome comedy director. Haven't seen his son's latest, Ghostbusters: Afterlife but hopefully he'll continue to carry on his dad's legacy. Godspeed, Ivan.

The whole time I was watching Ghostbusters: Afterlife, I couldn't help but think how impressed Ivan would have been with it and the fact that it was done by his son. Ivan deserved a lot more attention than he got. Everybody loves Ghostbusters and Stripes, but he made several films that got by a lot of people that were severely underrated...especially Twins. Another tragic Hollywood loss, RIP

Will be doing a Sr. Reitmanathon in February (the month of his passing).

Will be doing a Sr. Reitmanathon in February (the month of his passing).

I might kick-off in about 2-3 weeks, we'll see. I'll post my ratings in the "Rate the last movie you saw" thread.

Sorry to learn of this. Made some really iconic movies in the 80's and 90's. Thoughts go out to his family and friendss.

Rest in peace.